Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Champ Bailey had great cover skills, but was also an excellent tackler; perfect form.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I think some of what you're saying is correct. That said we are simply seeing more of the same. IMO Roby is a middle of the road CB. The issue is that the level of defense we are used to having is top 5...especially at the CB position. Next year we are going to need to do one or both of the following.

1. Sign a top flight CB in the off-season
    2. Draft a top CB in round 1
    I tend to agree that CB needs to be addressed soon, but "signing a top-flight CB" is a lot tougher than it sounds, because there actually aren't THAT many elite CBs in the NFL and when a team has a "top-flight" guy they rarely let them hit the FA market because true shutdown CBs are so hard to find. We have been really spoiled for the past 15 years or so as Broncos fans watching guys like Champ, Talib, and Chris Harris; there are a lot of teams whose entire stable of DBs are middle-of-the-pack defenders of approximately Roby's level (and I think Roby has more upside than a lot of other of these CBs). It should definitely be on Elway's radar and addressed in the draft if nothing else.

As for Roby, I don't think he's an all-star or anything, but I see potential in him that he hasn't maxed out yet. And when talking about whether the Broncos should keep him, that's not a decision being made in a vacuum--the decision should depend on two factors: 1) how much money is Roby demanding, and 2) whether we realistically could get somebody as good or slightly better for about that same cost (or a massive upgrade regardless of contract price). Letting Roby go only makes sense if you have a solid plan to replace him and not lose quality of play in the secondary.

Losing Talib was my biggest concern in the off-season. It's a bummer. The coaching staff wasn't strong enough to handle his personality and they allowed him to become a problem. Salary-wise, it was also a move that was made to make room for Case's contract, but I think we could have trimmed elsewhere.

Roby was a really good 3, but their confidence in him was misplaced. The only piece missing in this Defense right now is that strong #1/#2 corner. ILB has been average, but everywhere else has been really strong so far.

How much money does he want ? He is not worth Talib money, he is not a top 20 cornerback in the NFL, however not re-signing him opens up another hole on the defense and I don't think we can afford that. There was always going to be a drop off from Talib to Roby starting, it was evident every time Talib wasn't active for the past few years, but I would say 7-8 million dollars per season would be an okay re-signing.

I want to see if Roby is able to make improvements during the season. At this point, it will all depend on his price tag. If he doesn't kill the bank, maybe he's worth re-signing. But, I expect him to want big time money. At that point, let him go. Hopefully, Denver can find a good CB in the draft and develop Yiadom as the 3. Considering Harris isn't getting younger, they really need this to be a full time focus.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    As expected, Roby is no Talib. However, can we actually afford to lose him? If so we've basically got Chris Harris and little else. I don't see a lot of quality free agents available next year. I know the 2019 draft is stacked with DL players, but what about CBs?
    yes .

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighInNY View Post
    I actually like Roby and think he is/will be a pretty good CB. Two things are working against him right now, though; one, he's being compared to Talib, which are big shoes to fill (and he's just not as good as Talib to begin with), and two, the defensive play calling in the secondary has been absolutely abysmal. With this level of elite pass rush, playing the DBs 15 yards off of any receiver is just ridiculous and opens up huge opportunities for short passes by the Broncos' opponent (see what happened yesterday). You're setting any CB up for failure playing that kind of coverage--even Chris Harris has looked mediocre this season.

I think Roby will be fine with some better play calling, and I don't see any easily available replacement that would be even at his level. The Broncos definitely shouldn't overpay for him, but if he'll agree to a reasonable extension (roughly market value; doesn't need to be a discount) I think it's worth keeping him around.
    I don't think the comparison of being Talib is being used anymore. Now he's letting players do stunts on him, and make huge completions. If it's a #1 or #2 WR playing against him, you know that those receivers are going to get a big play eventually. CB's are getting paid extremely high, and he won't be worth what the market sets for him. The bigger issue is the lack of depth behind Roby, and it's questionable if Yiadom is going to make the next step.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Once again depth is about talent at that position, and we just aren't getting it. The draft misses are starting to pile up, on the o-line and secondary.

Personally, I think Yadiom will be starting quality eventually. But not next season. I dont know who you bring in to replace Roby if you think hes no good/wont be worth the money.
    Ag some point we need to start looking for a replacement for Harris too

If he wants #1 CB money, then no. If he wants Tier 2 / 3 CB money then I have no problem with it.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

To be fair to Roby, with the piss poor coaching the Broncos have...I do not believe he can be judged fairly on his ability because the folks that are supposed to bring him along, develop and build on his talent suck at every aspect of their job. Now that being said, in the event the Broncos do find a good coaching staff that know how to develop young players and he is not any better by say...the middle of next season then yes cut him. So yes, I am saying extend him but only to see if he does have the potential to be a really strong #2 or even a #1. But maybe draft or trade for a #1...you know, just in case...😉
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 12-27-2018 at 06:11 PM.

I would extend Roby but not for talib money. Remember Champ shutting down his side. Qbs wouldnt even test it by throwing towards him. Roby isn't scaring QBs but Talib did. Roby fed off those secondary receiver options that were rushed throws due to the pass rush. Capitilizing on the qb mistakes.

This one is tough for me because Roby was a great player not too long ago. Especially before the Talib trade.

I think we know who Roby is now, despite having bad coaching. Even with the poor play around him, he himself has contributed to the decline of the defense personally many times. He's probably worth the league average, and if he wants more, let him test the market. We'd be better off drafting a new corner and letting Yiadom grow a little more.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

My answer is NO.
    He is overrated, let him walk. We are in need of players that WANT to play.

With DeMarcus Ware working with the pass rushers, the Broncos should ask Champ Bailey to work with the corners.