Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Chad Kelly (Merged)

So, I had planned to watch some video on the Quarterbacks that would be coming out in the 2018 NFL Draft tonight and I got to thinking about Chad Kelly. I don’t want to start a debate on our Quarterback situation as it has been ongoing all off-season and everything which could of possibly be said has been. But I was thinking about Chad Kelly and wondering if he can get healthy, could he push to take reps from whoever is the starter down the line.

I have spent some time going back and watching his games from his 2 seasons at Ole Miss and it is very hard not to be excited about him and in a lot of ways. There is no doubt he has his flaws, but his style of play reminds me so much of Jay Cutler and he makes some of those throws where you think to yourself, this could be the guy, and how did he fall so far in the draft ?

Obviously, the character concerns are there, but the biggest issue I think for Chad Kelly was the mental side of the game. I feel like if he is to put in the work over the course of the season while recovering from injury, he could come back physically and mentally ready to perform next training camp and pre-season.

I have heard people say he would of been a 1st Round pick if it wasn't for the character concerns, however I would disagree with that. I do however think he definitely looked like a 2nd-3rd Round Quarterback and based on what he produced at Ole Miss, he is more talented, and a superior player to both of John Elway's other highly drafted Quarterbacks, Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch.

Positives:

• Rocket arm with the ability to drive the football down the field throwing from any platform
    • Can make all the throws into all levels of the defense on a consistent basis
    • Throws the football with good zip and velocity, knows when to put it on a line
    • Identifies the blitz and finds his hot route delivering quick, safe throws to avoid sacks
    • Trusts his eyes and is a quick, confident decision maker who isn’t afraid to make any throw
    • Has a good understanding of when to put touch on the football
    • Throws receivers open, makes good anticipation throws, specifically between the numbers
    • Makes quick decisions on when to make the back shoulder throw
    • Is consistently accurate on back shoulder throws displaying good ball placement
    • Uses smart ball placement leading receivers away from defenders and heavy contact
    • Stands tall in the pocket and doesn’t seem to be phased by the collapsing pocket
    • Will climb the pocket and keep his eyes down field looking to pass before he runs
    • Solid athlete with the ability to move around the pocket and extend plays
    • Looks very comfortable when asked to throw on the run and his accuracy isn’t affected
    • Can make defenders miss in the open field and always looks to find extra yardage
    • Tough player who isn’t scared to lower his head and run the football into contact
    • Has produced against top quality competition while at Ole Miss playing in the SEC

Negatives:

• Trusts his arm too much at times putting the ball in harms way, does it often in the red area
    • Will give defenders opportunities over the course of the game to create a turnover
    • When an inaccurate throw occurs, the ball tends to be placed over the receivers head
    • Can appear at times to have a casual approach to playing Quarterback
    • Has shown at times to possess lazy footwork in the pocket, will stand flat footed
    • Can at times stare down receivers and telegraph throws with his head and body language
    • Appears to slowly go through progressions at times leading to pressure throws
    • Doesn’t ever appear to try and avoid physical contact outside the pocket
    • Is considered to be a bad character and has displayed poor decision making off the field
    • Has missed significant time with injuries, a torn ACL and a torn ligament in his throwing wrist

Lots of nice detail in your post, but it really only amounts to the usual pre-draft guesswork. No one knows how good this guy will be until he actually plays in the NFL. College play predicts nothing.
    Last edited by RobertR; 09-02-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Football View Post
    So, I had planned to watch some video on the Quarterbacks that would be coming out in the 2018 NFL Draft tonight and I got to thinking about Chad Kelly. I don’t want to start a debate on our Quarterback situation as it has been ongoing all off-season and everything which could of possibly be said has been. But I was thinking about Chad Kelly and wondering if he can get healthy, could he push to take reps from whoever is the starter down the line.

I have spent some time going back and watching his games from his 2 seasons at Ole Miss and it is very hard not to be excited about him and in a lot of ways. There is no doubt he has his flaws, but his style of play reminds me so much of Jay Cutler and he makes some of those throws where you think to yourself, this could be the guy, and how did he fall so far in the draft ?

Obviously, the character concerns are there, but the biggest issue I think for Chad Kelly was the mental side of the game. I feel like if he is to put in the work over the course of the season while recovering from injury, he could come back physically and mentally ready to perform next training camp and pre-season.

I have heard people say he would of been a 1st Round pick if it wasn't for the character concerns, however I would disagree with that. I do however think he definitely looked like a 2nd-3rd Round Quarterback and based on what he produced at Ole Miss, he is more talented, and a superior player to both of John Elway's other highly drafted Quarterbacks, Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch.

Positives:

• Rocket arm with the ability to drive the football down the field throwing from any platform
    • Can make all the throws into all levels of the defense on a consistent basis
    • Throws the football with good zip and velocity, knows when to put it on a line
    • Identifies the blitz and finds his hot route delivering quick, safe throws to avoid sacks
    • Trusts his eyes and is a quick, confident decision maker who isn’t afraid to make any throw
    • Has a good understanding of when to put touch on the football
    • Throws receivers open, makes good anticipation throws, specifically between the numbers
    • Makes quick decisions on when to make the back shoulder throw
    • Is consistently accurate on back shoulder throws displaying good ball placement
    • Uses smart ball placement leading receivers away from defenders and heavy contact
    • Stands tall in the pocket and doesn’t seem to be phased by the collapsing pocket
    • Will climb the pocket and keep his eyes down field looking to pass before he runs
    • Solid athlete with the ability to move around the pocket and extend plays
    • Looks very comfortable when asked to throw on the run and his accuracy isn’t affected
    • Can make defenders miss in the open field and always looks to find extra yardage
    • Tough player who isn’t scared to lower his head and run the football into contact
    • Has produced against top quality competition while at Ole Miss playing in the SEC

Negatives:

• Trusts his arm too much at times putting the ball in harms way, does it often in the red area
    • Will give defenders opportunities over the course of the game to create a turnover
    • When an inaccurate throw occurs, the ball tends to be placed over the receivers head
    • Can appear at times to have a casual approach to playing Quarterback
    • Has shown at times to possess lazy footwork in the pocket, will stand flat footed
    • Can at times stare down receivers and telegraph throws with his head and body language
    • Appears to slowly go through progressions at times leading to pressure throws
    • Doesn’t ever appear to try and avoid physical contact outside the pocket
    • Is considered to be a bad character and has displayed poor decision making off the field
    • Has missed significant time with injuries, a torn ACL and a torn ligament in his throwing wrist

Kinda sounds like Paxton Lynch's profile in his led up to his rookie season.Not knocking you...just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    Lots of nice detail in your post, but it really only amounts to the usual pre-draft guesswork. No one knows how good this guy will be until he actually plays in the NFL. College play predicts nothing.
    Not exactly true. College play can help predict something. Even if it is such a minimal amount. It's just finding that something that is so hard to do. And it isn't exact, because it is then up to the player to build upon and improve those attributes to become a successful quarterback.

But, he has to show that he has those attributes. Personally, if I had to pick two or three attributes from college that I want in my draftee above all else, it would be poise in the pocket. And being able to go through progressions. Or throwing receivers open. To me, those are three of the hardest things to coach.

We happened to have drafted a quarterback in the first round that didn't show any of those things.

Now we have drafted a 7th round quarterback and picked up an undrafted free agent that both showed those things in college.

Let's see which of the three ends up with the worst career. It'll be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
    Kinda sounds like Paxton Lynch's profile in his led up to his rookie season.Not knocking you...just sayin.
    Woah. Not at all. Paxton's draft profile was a lot of "big arm", "athletic", "makes quick throws" (because that's the way the offense was).

Looking back, I'm not sure why I was even excited about this pick in the first round. It kind of disappoints me. But, the only thing that is that similar to their draft profile is big arm and able to make plays with their legs. Just because that's all Paxton has, doesn't mean every big arm qb that can extend plays is a bad egg.

That doesn't mean I think he will for sure pan out. Because, you can never truly know with a a quarterback. But, he has very little similarity to Paxton in his overall play. As I added in my post below, another thing that Chad does that is completely different from Paxton, is keeps his eyes down field while escaping the pocket. Paxton has shown that once he leaves the pocket, all of his teammates have disappeared and it's 100% time to run.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 09-02-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Not exactly true. College play can help predict something. Even if it is such a minimal amount. It's just finding that something that is so hard to do. And it isn't exact, because it is then up to the player to build upon and improve those attributes to become a successful quarterback.

But, he has to show that he has those attributes. Personally, if I had to pick two or three attributes from college that I want in my draftee above all else, it would be poise in the pocket. And being able to go through progressions. Or throwing receivers open. To me, those are three of the hardest things to coach.

We happened to have drafted a quarterback in the first round that didn't show any of those things.

Now we have drafted a 7th round quarterback and picked up an undrafted free agent that both showed those things in college.

Let's see which of the three ends up with the worst career. It'll be interesting.
    I would throw in accuracy...hard to teach that.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I would throw in accuracy...hard to teach that.
    True. I suppose I wasn't thinking of physical attributes. I was thinking more of the mental side of playing quarterback. But, apparently it's hard to be a good nfl quarterback if you can't throw the ball where you want to

I'd also add to this post by saying Kelly does an excellent job of when he escapes the pocket, keeping his eyes down field, always looking to throw before he actually takes off.

If Siemian plays well enough to not have another QB battle with Paxton next year I can't imagine Kelly getting his shot here. And if we have a 3 way QB battle all QBs will suffer due to lack of reps.

I'm not so sure this is a great situation for Kelly to be take over next season

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    If Siemian plays well enough to not have another QB battle with Paxton next year I can't imagine Kelly getting his shot here. And if we have a 3 way QB battle all QBs will suffer due to lack of reps.

I'd say that depends on how much Trevor is wanting to get paid. And if we're willing to pay him. But, if he does show significant strides and proves that he can potentially be our franchise quarterback, then I'd agree. I'd imagine we'd trade Paxton, or try to. Then role with Chad or Kyle as backup for a few years. However, if we're not willing to pay Trevor or if he looks like he hasn't made strides, things could change.

Whether you like him or not. This is a good video to illustrate some of the things that he does well that could translate to the NFL. It also shows a couple of the mechanical issues and decision making he needs to work on. Recognizing he isn't perfect, and is no sure thing. But, you also can't blame someone for being excited about the possibilities he shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtvvz5bj93Q
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 09-02-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk;5604391[B
    ]If Siemian plays well enough to not have another QB battle with Paxton next year [/B]I can't imagine Kelly getting his shot here. And if we have a 3 way QB battle all QBs will suffer due to lack of reps.

That might have more to do with Lynch playing poorly and not that Siemian played so well though. Kelly still might get a shot this year.....probably not, but if he gets healthy and they need a QB......

Sloter will pass up Lynch in the depth charts. Sloter has the smarts and an NFL arm....

Quote Originally Posted by chugachuga View Post
    Sloter will pass up Lynch in the depth charts. Sloter has the smarts and an NFL arm....
    I think the thread you're looking for is titled, "Sloter".

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    This is a good video to illustrate some of the things that he does well that could translate to the NFL. It also shows a couple of the mechanical issues and decision making he needs to work on. Recognizing he isn't perfect, and is no sure thing. But, you also can't blame someone for being excited about the possibilities he shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtvvz5bj93Q
    "Could" and "possibilities" are the key words in your post. It's nothing more than that. What I find silly are the "As soon as a healthy Kelly competes next year, he WILL be the best QB on the roster" posts. No one can say that for sure, or even as a high probability.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
    "Could" and "possibilities" are the key words in your post. It's nothing more than that. What I find silly are the "As soon as a healthy Kelly competes next year, he WILL be the best QB on the roster" posts. No one can say that for sure, or even as a high probability.
    Well duh. We've established that it isn't an exact science and no college prospect is a sure thing. Hence, the use of the words "could" and "possiblities". It'd be arrogant of me to use words that act like his success is set in stone.

But to act as if college has absolutely zero predication of a player's ability to having success in the NFL is what's silly. A player that isn't able to those things isn't going to have a chance in the NFL. A player that can do those things has a higher chance at success than those that cannot. Especially the very imporant attributes. Not just "big arm" and "athletic" that somehow garnered a first round grade for Paxton. That's how it works. You can't just ignore college completely just because some players don't live up to the potential.