Retrospective: 2005 AFC Divisional Game

I am rewatching the 2005 AFC Divisional game against NE. What a great team we had that year. One thing that has become crystal clear while watching this game is that the biggest mistake that Shanahan ever made was firing Larry Coyer. Considering how bad we became on defense after he left, itís interesting to think about what could have been if he had stayed.

The following week loss to the Steelers hurt. I am almost positive we would have beaten Seattle in the SB.

I know this post isnít relevant to anything right now. Just taking a trip down memory lane. Just thought I would share.

Quote Originally Posted by The Experience View Post
    I am rewatching the 2005 AFC Divisional game against NE. What a great team we had that year. One thing that has become crystal clear while watching this game is that the biggest mistake that Shanahan ever made was firing Larry Coyer. Considering how bad we became on defense after he left, itís interesting to think about what could have been if he had stayed.

The following week loss to the Steelers hurt. I am almost positive we would have beaten Seattle in the SB.

I know this post isnít relevant to anything right now. Just taking a trip down memory lane. Just thought I would share.
    That is why this place is here.

Itís almost as if shanny ran out of material and just started scape goating coordinator after coordinator which didnít take Bowlen long to figure out.

The real problem at the time was the guy playing QB. We all love Plummer but he had hit his ceiling as a QB and in that Steeler game Big Ben showed that Plummer was far beneath his stature.

I also loved bailey but if we had Plummer and Portis together things may had been different for that team scoring wise.

Coyer was a really good DC.
    The reason he was fired was in 2003, & 2004 we were destroyed by the Colts in the playoffs, and in 2006 a new high powered offense emerged in San Diego, that took back the division. Coyer couldnít slow these teams down, but in his defense (no pun intended) most coaches not named Bellichek struggled vs those offenses.
    I think Coyer got the blame but Shannahanís offense had turned into a great run / play action team in between the 20ís but struggled in the red zone because they couldnít get any push with 290 lb zone scheme O-lineman. Not scoring vs those teams just put more pressure on the defense.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 10-21-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

It’s almost as if shanny ran out of material and just started scape goating coordinator after coordinator which didn’t take Bowlen long to figure out.

The real problem at the time was the guy playing QB. We all love Plummer but he had hit his ceiling as a QB and in that Steeler game Big Ben showed that Plummer was far beneath his stature.

I also loved bailey but if we had Plummer and Portis together things may had been different for that team scoring wise.
    I could not disagree more about Portis and Plummer. The D was bad in that game, and Portis was a cancer in the locker room. Champ is a HOFer, and Portis is a footnote in history. DEN had 2 1000 yard rushers that season, so it wasn't the running game that season that cost them

I'm 100% positive that DEN would have beaten SEA in the SB
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    I could not disagree more about Portis and Plummer. The D was bad in that game, and Portis was a cancer in the locker room. Champ is a HOFer, and Portis is a footnote in history. DEN had 2 1000 yard rushers that season, so it wasn't the running game that season that cost them

I'm 100% positive that DEN would have beaten SEA in the SB
    I agree. It would have been fun to see what a player with Portisí talent could have done in Shanahanís system for 7 or 8 years, but that trade made our football team much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

It’s almost as if shanny ran out of material and just started scape goating coordinator after coordinator which didn’t take Bowlen long to figure out.

I agree about Plummer. Not only was he horrible in the AFC Champ game but the next year he looked really bad before getting benched.

Even in Plummer's good years people would point out time and time again his play in the bootleg was fantastic but his play in the pocket left much to be desired. That and Pummer's average work ethic made it clear we needed a better QB to compete.

I am not sure why so many fans attach to Plummer....my guess is because outside of Elway and PM there really has not been much in Denver in the way of elite QB talent so there really is nothing else for fans to attach to.
    Last edited by Hadez; 10-21-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I agree about Plummer. Not only was he horrible in the AFC Champ game but the next year he looked really bad before getting benched.

Even in Plummer's good years people would point out time and time again his play in the bootleg was fantastic but his play in the pocket left much to be desired. That and Pummer's average work ethic made it clear we needed a better QB to compete.

I am not sure why so many fans attach to Plummer....my guess is because outside of Elway and PM there really has not been much in Denver in the way of elite QB talent so there really is nothing else for fans to attach to.
    They were 7-4 before he got benched, and they finished 1-4. His teammates wanted him as their QB, not Cutler
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post

What could have been if Shanny hadn't been in a coaching death spiral.

Plummer wasn't the problem, like Coyer wasn't the problem...

Recognizing the problem was the problem!
    [

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    They were 7-4 before he got benched, and they finished 1-4. His teammates wanted him as their QB, not Cutler
    That was because of a defense that was giving up 15 points a game including games of points allowed - 3 pts, 3 pts, 6 pts, 7 pts and 7 pts. Plummer was actually throwing more Ints than TDs while failing to break a QBR of 70 in over half the games.

We started to lose because the defense started to give up 28 points a game even tho the QB play actually got better after Plummer was benched. Cutler was not good only finishing the year with a QBR of 88.5.....Plummer was just horrible at a QBR of 68.8. Some fans seem to want to put some kind of crown on a QBR of 68.8 just because the name is Plummer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Experience View Post

Firing Coyer wasn't the downfall of the defense, it was the players got old and Shanny failed to replace them with viable options.

They let Trevor Pryce walk and Al Wilson suffered a career ending injury in 2006. Darrent Williams was killed New Year's Day 2007, John Lynch was gone after 2007, Champ Bailey had lost a step by 2008.

Thats just the defense, it's a lot of talent to try and replace. Shanny was trying to rebuild in 2007-2008, but ran out of time and was fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
    Firing Coyer wasn't the downfall of the defense, it was the players got old and Shanny failed to replace them with viable options.

They let Trevor Pryce walk and Al Wilson suffered a career ending injury in 2006. Darrent Williams was killed New Year's Day 2007, John Lynch was gone after 2007, Champ Bailey had lost a step by 2008.

Thats just the defense, it's a lot of talent to try and replace. Shanny was trying to rebuild in 2007-2008, but ran out of time and was fired.
    Impressive the team even went 8-8 in 2008 during a rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

Ian Gold got old before our eyes too. Manning always ripped him in coverage, though. That's what was so great about '05. The Steelers beat the Colts for us, and we let it get away.

I remember that season, it was fun to watch. I came over for the NE regular season game at home.

That defeat to Pittsburgh was easy to diagnose. All season the D was blitzing over and over again to make up for their issues, often they would send 8 to the QB. We got away with it most of the time but Pittsburgh kept picking it up over and over again and hitting big plays until their lead just got too much.... despite a mini comeback by Plummer.

Blitzing that heavily all season was risky, our luck just ran out that game