Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LMAO!!! mike vrabel's an idiot!!

yeah going for the win was gutsy......and stupid. really ugly win but i will take it over an ugly loss, thanks for the gift, mike!

That call will stick with Vrabel like Belichickís famous 4th & 2 call against the Colts, like Pete Carrollís call not to hand it off to Marshawn Lynch in the SB. Itís the kind of call that will make NFLís top ten worse calls film.

So DUMB!!!!!

He was really confident in his offense I guess but that was just plain stupid.

Thatís means to be fired.

I made my case in another thread.....if it works everyone thinks he's brilliant. Here are some factors to consider:

1) There's probably about a 50% chance to score a 2 pointer. If they made it, The Chargers still had half a minute, but that's not much time. If they miss, the odds of recovering the onside kick aren't good, but there was still that chance.
    2) In OT, it's also about a 50% chance to win, BUT, I'd go 40/60, because I trust Rivers more than Mariota in OT.
    3) So....chances of winning in OT no more than in regular time. And it all comes down to how much the team felt like going for it. If they were pumped, I don't blame 'em.

This would not be an issue for most, if it was Brady or Brees or a few others in charge.

Then again, if you do not convert, everyone second guesses. If you score you are brilliant.

I had no issues with his decision to go for 2. Once they were on the 1 yd line, I would have run the ball - but hind sight and all...

I liked the call. Playing overseas, your team is fired up, and you're confident in them. Going for 2 was ballsy, but they didn't wanna play OT.

I didn't mind it at all.

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    I liked the call. Playing overseas, your team is fired up, and you're confident in them. Going for 2 was ballsy, but they didn't wanna play OT.

I didn't mind it at all.
    I agree, think about it.
    Go to overtime, hope you win the flip, hope you drive the field and score a TD, if not make a fg and stop the Chargers offense or go for two.

like i said in the other thread........it's not that they tried to go for the win, it's how they did it considering who they are. vrabel put the ball in the hands of MM who isn't great. think about all the crap the seahwaks got for not handing the ball of to lynch.....that was russell wilson who i would feel much better with in that situation than mariota.

not only that but it wasn't a do or die situation, they could have gone to OT with the momentum and their defense was playing good. not to mention the titans already tried to pass and failed the play before but that penalty saved them.

oh well, i'm glad they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I agree, think about it.
    Go to overtime, hope you win the flip, hope you drive the field and score a TD, if not make a fg and stop the Chargers offense or go for two.
    would you be comfortable giving the ball to case keenum in that situation? that's basically what the titans did. had that been the chargers doing that with rivers then okay but mariota? that is what is dumb about it, not that they tried to go for the win,

one thing is for sure.....i bet you don't see the titans ever do that again.

Personally, I'd rather have a coach that goes for the throat and plays for the win than sits back and plays not to lose. I wouldn't call him an idiot at all. He just made the gutsy call and it didn't work in his favor.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    would you be comfortable giving the ball to case keenum in that situation? that's basically what the titans did. had that been the chargers doing that with rivers then okay but mariota? that is what is dumb about it, not that they tried to go for the win,

Yes, thatís what heís getting paid to do.
    Never gonna find out what a QB can do unless you give them a shot.

He is 2 out 3 on go ahead drives this year:
    He hit DT to go ahead vs Seattle
    He ran it in vs Oakland.
    He missed a DT vs KC

Iím surprised Marquita didnít pump fake and run it in, ( unless heís injured)
    Last edited by 58Miller; 10-22-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post

Nah but think about it.

You can be safe and play conservative. Hope to get the toss, hope to drive the field, all the way back to the 2 yard line.

Why go through all that if you can just say "to hell with it, we're already here, take our shot".

I do get you though. They could have been more creative. It was a very underwhelming 2pt play.

Hooray, beer!

Nah but think about it.

You can be safe and play conservative. Hope to get the toss, hope to drive the field, all the way back to the 2 yard line.

Why go through all that if you can just say "to hell with it, we're already here, take our shot".

I do get you though. They could have been more creative. It was a very underwhelming 2pt play.
    Yea, could have been drawn up better, but after having John Fox for a coach, I'll never fault someone having the balls to go for the win rather than play for the tie.

I didn't mind it at all.
    They had an empty back field so either itís a pass or a QB sneak. I still think itís a bad call, take the point and go into overtime. A missed extra point isnít really on the coach but this call will forever affect his legacy!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I made my case in another thread.....if it works everyone thinks he's brilliant. Here are some factors to consider:

1) There's probably about a 50% chance to score a 2 pointer. If they made it, The Chargers still had half a minute, but that's not much time. If they miss, the odds of recovering the onside kick aren't good, but there was still that chance.
    2) In OT, it's also about a 50% chance to win, BUT, I'd go 40/60, because I trust Rivers more than Mariota in OT.
    3) So....chances of winning in OT no more than in regular time. And it all comes down to how much the team felt like going for it. If they were pumped, I don't blame 'em.

This would not be an issue for most, if it was Brady or Brees or a few others in charge.

Then again, if you do not convert, everyone second guesses. If you score you are brilliant.
    Let me try to explain my stance once again because I think you helped me clarify my point.

I donít think going for it for 2 points was the wrong call. What I thought was the wrong play call in that situation. Run the damn ball in that situation. Donít have MM throw it in that situation.

They are 2 different situations. Going for 2 may have been the right call. But the play call was horrible.

You have Derrick Henry. You have MM who can run, yet you throw it on the 1 yard line? Thatís what was dumb. Not the call to go for the 2 point conversion.

Does that make sense?