Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,542
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I prefer to block that QB era out of my memories.
    And let the disrespect begin for a QB here that never had a losing season and took this team to the playoffs every year except 2006 when he was benched at 7-4

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    831
    I was a big fan of Plummer even before he became a Bronco

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    E-arth
    Posts
    15,351
    Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    And let the disrespect begin for a QB here that never had a losing season and took this team to the playoffs every year except 2006 when he was benched at 7-4
    This, I always hated how Shanny benched him.

    As for Jake, I was a big fan of him. I always enjoy seeing QBs like Jake. Good bootlegs, nasty play actions.

    I actually see a big of Jake Plummer in Shea Patterson. I've been mentioning this to Michigan fans, and they agree that Shea is similar to Jake.

    My favorite memories will always just be watching Jake move around the pocket, get out the pocket, make some plays.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,279
    I loved every game Plummer ever played for us. To me, he was the QB who could make a drive to win the game and it really didn't matter much about his supporting cast. BTW, Jake had the misfortune of playing on a Bronco team pretty devoid of talent. If he'd had Terrell Davis who knows how he'd have done. It was so stupid (IMO) to bench Jake for Cutler after Plummer went 7-4. We wound up missing the playoffs that year by going 9-7.
    What Jake had was fire, team-first attitude, and tenacity to go along with some serious arm talent. Was Cutler a better arm? Sure. But I'd take Plummer over Cutler any day and twice on Sunday...
    Incidentally, many will forget the reason Plummer's success in the playoffs was largely due to none other than the Sheriff. Manning and the Colts owned us during that era - and we weren't alone as Manning in those days with James and Harrison and Wayne were really, really, good.
    I remember when Rivers played with a strained ACL in a playoff game and how people raved about what a warrior he was. My thinking at the time was if Plummer had the same injury he'd of played as well. He was a great competitor. Shannahan did a lot of good things, but I think his handling of Plummer was a big mistake.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Loveland
    Posts
    8,354
    What is with this board's obessesion with Plummer? I swear everyday somebody posts something about him

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,664
    Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    And let the disrespect begin for a QB here that never had a losing season and took this team to the playoffs every year except 2006 when he was benched at 7-4
    That had more to do with the talent around him than it did because of him. He only ever had one season with more than 10 wins. And 10 wins was always just good enough to get waxed in the opening round of the playoffs.

    The one time he did win more than 10 he was the clear weak link in the AFC title game.

    Sure he was an above average qb. But people here act like he was better than Elway and he wasnít even close.

    Hindsight is 20/20 but shanahan clearly thought Cutler had a higher ceiling. Iíll agree Shanahan was dead wrong on that though

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Antioch, IL
    Posts
    30,630
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    That had more to do with the talent around him than it did because of him. He only ever had one season with more than 10 wins. And 10 wins was always just good enough to get waxed in the opening round of the playoffs.

    The one time he did win more than 10 he was the clear weak link in the AFC title game.

    Sure he was an above average qb. But people here act like he was better than Elway and he wasn’t even close.

    Hindsight is 20/20 but shanahan clearly thought Cutler had a higher ceiling. I’ll agree Shanahan was dead wrong on that though
    Would you rather have had Kordell Stewart? He was the only other FA option that year, and Plummer took less $ to come to DEN

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5QLt4qJWQ
    Last edited by HUMCALC; 10-26-2018 at 09:41 AM.
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,664
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Would you rather have had Kordell Stewart? He was the only other FA option that year, and Plummer took less $ to come to DEN
    No. Donít get me wrong. When I criticize Plummer Iím not saying I didnít like the guy when he was our QB. I did.

    I just for the life of me donít understand the massive love affair around here just because he had a good overall record. My point was that while he was sufficient to make the playoffs he tended to be the weak link when we got there. It was mainly the insane shanny/kubiak ground game that won us games. Granted that allowed a killer bootleg that Plummer was fantastic at. But even shanny said Plummerís skillset/accuracy limited his playbook options. That is why he tried to spark the offense through cutler. Which granted failed.

    Plummer did a lot of things good. But outside of the bootleg he didnít do a lot of things great.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Antioch, IL
    Posts
    30,630
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    No. Don’t get me wrong. When I criticize Plummer I’m not saying I didn’t like the guy when he was our QB. I did.

    I just for the life of me don’t understand the massive love affair around here just because he had a good overall record. My point was that while he was sufficient to make the playoffs he tended to be the weak link when we got there. It was mainly the insane shanny/kubiak ground game that won us games. Granted that allowed a killer bootleg that Plummer was fantastic at. But even shanny said Plummer’s skillset/accuracy limited his playbook options. That is why he tried to spark the offense through cutler. Which granted failed.

    Plummer did a lot of things good. But outside of the bootleg he didn’t do a lot of things great.
    Who did he have to work with? Outside of Rod Smith, he had Jeb Putzier and Ashley Lelie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5QLt4qJWQ
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    850
    Plummer doul have been an even greater Bronco, but they brought in Cutler and that seemed to have shook his confidence.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    32,025
    Me too on the....oh no, what happened to Jake!

    I have good memories of the guy. He's a cool dude, and he was fun to watch. The loss to The Steelers was quite disappointing, but early in the game Champ, of all people, had a chance to make a pic...maybe pic 6 as I recall, which ended in a drive the other way....again, as I recall. Not blaming Champ, but that might have been a real turning point. Had we got the pic, maybe pic 6, we are in a decent position.


    Then again, would, coulda, shoulda.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-27-2018 at 09:10 AM.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A-town in the Mile High
    Posts
    542
    As you can tell from my user name I was a huge Jake the Snake Plummer fan.

    Used to drive the LA fans mad when I would head down to the local Broncos sports bar in North Hollywood, decked out in Plummer gear and loudly screaming my "JAKE THE SNAKE" chants as they were wrecking teams.

    Man I miss that guy!

    -GB2

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,449
    I always liked Jake. Didn't like the way it ended. I've only been able to really get behind 2 Broncos quarterbacks since he left.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Antioch, IL
    Posts
    30,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    I always liked Jake. Didn't like the way it ended. I've only been able to really get behind 2 Broncos quarterbacks since he left.
    Who else, besides Manning?
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop_Block View Post
    I loved every game Plummer ever played for us. To me, he was the QB who could make a drive to win the game and it really didn't matter much about his supporting cast. BTW, Jake had the misfortune of playing on a Bronco team pretty devoid of talent. If he'd had Terrell Davis who knows how he'd have done. It was so stupid (IMO) to bench Jake for Cutler after Plummer went 7-4. We wound up missing the playoffs that year by going 9-7.
    What Jake had was fire, team-first attitude, and tenacity to go along with some serious arm talent. Was Cutler a better arm? Sure. But I'd take Plummer over Cutler any day and twice on Sunday...
    Incidentally, many will forget the reason Plummer's success in the playoffs was largely due to none other than the Sheriff. Manning and the Colts owned us during that era - and we weren't alone as Manning in those days with James and Harrison and Wayne were really, really, good.
    I remember when Rivers played with a strained ACL in a playoff game and how people raved about what a warrior he was. My thinking at the time was if Plummer had the same injury he'd of played as well. He was a great competitor. Shannahan did a lot of good things, but I think his handling of Plummer was a big mistake.
    The team went 7-4 in-spite of Plummer, not because of him. At the time he was benched he throwing completions at a 55% rate, which is awful. He had a pretty poor 6.3 yards per attempt and he had 11 TDs v 13 interceptions. The Broncos were 2-3 over his last 5 starts, and only the win v Pittsburgh was he looking good.

    It wasn't the Broncos benching a great player just because and them losing because of it. They were benching a QB playing poorly, while they were losing, and the season was slipping away from them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •