Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coffee View Post
    I think it is more than that.

- The trust was changed in 2009, when Pat was already dealing with alzheimer's, potentially being taken advantage of.
    - Annabelle was at no point to have any control over team operations.
    - Beth Bowlen was fired by the team with alleged involvement by Annabelle Bowlen. Her firing also prevents her from being qualified, extending control for the trust.
    - Mary Kelly, a trust member, makes 300k a year but has no role on the team.
    - Dan Reilly, the representing lawyer of the trust, is married to Mary Kelly - conflicting interest.
    - Joe Ellis is gainfully employed by the Broncos and part of the trust. He has a conflicting interesting in keeping the trust in control.
    - The trust has identified 40 years old, as the age of financial accountability - meaning Brittney the leading candidate is not eligible for another 12 years.
    - In that 12 years, do the math on how much $ the trust will have collected (millions).
    *The complaint says Pat Bowlen stated that upon his death, distribution rights would be provided to each of his children when they turn 40 years old.

Pat (74) is still alive.

I don't think we can take all the complaints at face value, they are spinning it one way. Let's do the math on what Beth Bowlen Wallace stands to gain. And we should also wonder what's in it for Uncle Bill.
    Last edited by L.M.; 10-26-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

I'm no lawyer but it would seem that Bill lacks standing since he has not been involved with the team for some time.
    ...In law, standing or locus standi is the term for the ability of a party to demonstrate to the court sufficient connection to and harm from the law or action challenged to support that party's participation in the case.

As far as the lack of an owner causing a lack of accountability. What was different in 2013 or 2015 when the Broncos had the best statistical offense in the NFL and then in 2015 won a SB with one of the best defenses in the NFL? If there was no accountability in those years than I guess it could indicate that having an active "owner" is not necessary to be successful in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Yes it does. This team is being ran without a true responsibile owner at the moment. Bill is correct when he says these people are operating with no one to hold them accountable.

If there were a responsible functioning owner at the current time I doubt wed be suffering through far less than mediocrity at QB.
    The trust is functioning as a de facto owner right now. Who holds any owner accountable except the other owners, which seems to be occuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    The NFL gave Ellis and team 5 years to either find replacement or sell the team. The 12 year figure is pretty irrelevant. They won't be waiting 12 years, they don't have 12 years. They have less than 5 now.
    I can't find anything about that, Frey. Do you have a link?
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    I can't find anything about that, Frey. Do you have a link?
    It was discussed back when this all came up with Beth recently during her last power play (and lets be clear, that's all this is, an attempt by Beth to take control. I'm not sure I can find the link the the original story, but the 5 year deadline is mentioned in this one.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/3...y-spat-kiszla/

Chief executive officer Joe Ellis has had full authority to make final decisions for the team since illness forced Bowlen to retire in 2014. Despite the Broncos’ recent on-field woes, the NFL gave a strong thumbs-up to the arrangement in 2017, granting a five-year extension to Ellis as controlling owner delegee.
    Now granted, nothing is to say in five years, they couldn't extend it again, but right now, that's the NFL's timetable. They want it within 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    It was discussed back when this all came up with Beth recently during her last power play (and lets be clear, that's all this is, an attempt by Beth to take control. I'm not sure I can find the link the the original story, but the 5 year deadline is mentioned in this one.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/3...y-spat-kiszla/

Now granted, nothing is to say in five years, they couldn't extend it again, but right now, that's the NFL's timetable. They want it within 5 years.
    Does "find replacement" mean that control is transferred within the 5 years, or that they just identify the replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    Rapid Decline? How many teams have been to two Super Bowls and won one in the last five years? Pats, Broncs, Hawks...Period.

Pretty shoddy company, I know. Elway and Co. have done an amazing job of bringing this team back to relevance. We are literally a couple of players away from being a top contender, again, why is this so hard to understand? This is not a poorly run team!!!

The fan base leaves a bit to be desired though...
    And the Seahawks decline has been just as bad (slightly better record but very mediocre) with the same HC, the same star QB, and up until a week ago steady ownership.

Does "find replacement" mean that control is transferred within the 5 years, or that they just identify the replacement?
    I think it means identify the next owner from amongst the children OR put the team up for sale within the 5 year timeframe. But I don't think anything is set in stone with the NFL here. If the lawsuit drama starts playing out in public the league could force a sale immediately. Of if in 5 years the trust has identified a child as the next controlling owner but that potential owner needs a little more time to do something, the league can also just keep the trust in place for a little longer.

- The trust was changed in 2009, when Pat was already dealing with alzheimer's, potentially being taken advantage of.
    - Beth Bowlen was fired by the team with alleged involvement by Annabelle Bowlen. Her firing also prevents her from being qualified, extending control for the trust.
    - Dan Reilly, the representing lawyer of the trust, is married to Mary Kelly - conflicting interest.
    - Joe Ellis is gainfully employed by the Broncos and part of the trust. He has a conflicting interesting in keeping the trust in control.
    - The trust has identified 40 years old, as the age of financial accountability - meaning Brittney the leading candidate is not eligible for another 12 years.
    - In that 12 years, do the math on how much $ the trust will have collected (millions).
    All of this stuff is alleged in the lawsuit, but it's just allegations, until the Trust files their statement of defense it's just one side of the argument.

And keep in mind the lawsuit states that the Trust is in violation of NFL rules, while the NFL has come out previously and said the Trust is in compliance with the rules and doing a wonderful job. So you've got at least one of their big claims wrong, not hard to believe the other stuff could wrong as well.

Last point, a lot of the stuff in the lawsuit is what Bill Bowlen says that Pat told him, essentially it's Bill Bowlen's word. Whereas the Trust has their lawyers, Pat Bowlen's lawyers and the NFL plus their lawyers who can all testify that the current structure is exactly what Pat Bowlen wanted.

This lawsuit will get thrown out quickly, frankly the Broncos may not even need to file a statement of defense because Bill Bowlen has no legal standing to file the lawsuit in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I am not so sure. If the contract signed has clearly laid out terms and codes of conduct then it is possible that Bill may well have a case. In addition he is not seeking that HE be made the decision maker but rather an impartial party who is not directly tied to the team. This could really get messy.
    Bill doesn't have a case because he literally has zero legal interest in the team. It would be like me buying shares of Apple, selling those shares, then coming back after Steve Jobs died, and filing a lawsuit claiming Steve wouldn't have wanted a bigger iPhone. It's totally baseless and only gotten this far because rich millionaires can afford to waste the court's time.

This case would have made much more sense had Beth filed the lawsuit based on collusion in forcing her off the team when she was close to fulfilling part of the legal requirement set forth in the trust.
    Last edited by mojo0730; 10-26-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Yes it does. This team is being ran without a true responsibile owner at the moment. Bill is correct when he says these people are operating with no one to hold them accountable.

If there were a responsible functioning owner at the current time I doubt wed be suffering through far less than mediocrity at QB.
    Pat Boweln ran the team but left the day to day and talent decisions to someone else.

Just because there is a trust in place doesn't mean any of that has changed. Besides, and I've said this before, if Pat was really set on one person to take over for him, he would have just handed the reigns to that person versus setting up a trust.

Bad publicity is not what the NFL would want. If this turns bad, will the NFL demand a new owner ? What happens to the franchise ? Someone stated that this is a bunch of wealthy folks fighting for a bigger piece of a profitable business, happens often.

It seems as if the trusties are not accountable to anyone, but the truth is all The team owners are to each other. If something negative effects their perception to their NFL, changes can be forced. Bad for the team, Bad for fans.

Do I care ? Not much, but Will follow this event closely.

Bill Bowlen is trying to force the issue because he knows the team is going to Brittany. Speculation, but Id assume he has something in the works to buy shares from Beth. Either way hes taking the wrong angle, the best case scenario for him is that they force the trust to pick a successor now and they wait until the qualifications are met and thatll be Brittany. Worst case scenario is Goodell steps in as interim owner (or appoints someone) a la David Stern and the New Orleans Hornets and if that happens hes either going to follow the same guidelines as the trust or sell to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Bill Bowlen is trying to force the issue because he knows the team is going to Brittany. Speculation, but I’d assume he has something in the works to buy shares from Beth. Either way he’s taking the wrong angle, the best case scenario for him is that they force the trust to pick a successor now and they wait until the qualifications are met and that’ll be Brittany. Worst case scenario is Goodell steps in as interim owner (or appoints someone) a la David Stern and the New Orleans Hornets and if that happens he’s either going to follow the same guidelines as the trust or sell to the highest bidder.
    They'll never take over ownership, especially since the trust is in place and the team is highly profitable. What they can do is tell the trust that they need to find the next owner sooner rather than later, and that the new owner won't be a Bowlen.

Yep. Ellis makes 1 mil yr. Its a fact.