Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    They'll never take over ownership, especially since the trust is in place and the team is highly profitable. What they can do is tell the trust that they need to find the next owner sooner rather than later, and that the new owner won't be a Bowlen.
    We don't know if team is highly profitable. It's never been disclosed publicly and doesn't have to be. That being said, I have heard that any given year the net profit ranges from 50mil to 200mil give or take. What would d be interesting is to know what revenue is each year. Wonder if that is available anywhere.....

Quote Originally Posted by GoDonkeys! View Post
    We don't know if team is highly profitable. It's never been disclosed publicly and doesn't have to be. That being said, I have heard that any given year the net profit ranges from 50mil to 200mil give or take. What would d be interesting is to know what revenue is each year. Wonder if that is available anywhere.....
    It's almost impossible for an NFL team to lose money, just based on their TV contracts. Because the Packers are public they have to report their numbers, in 2016 they were paid $244 million for TV revenues. Every NFL team gets that same amount. So TV revenues pretty much pay for all salaries and benefits of every single person working in the franchise, and they would still have money left over.

According to Forbes (numbers are estimates but generally pretty good) in 2017 the Denver Broncos made $427 million in revenue with an operating income of $106 million.

The lowest operating income was the Detroit Lions at $4.6 million. Only two teams, the Lions and Raiders, had operating incomes of less than $30 million.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

https://adage.com/article/media/nfl-...ercent/309737/

Quote Originally Posted by GoDonkeys! View Post
    Yep. Ellis makes 1 mil yr. Its a fact.
    Which is very low for the CEO of a private company with big profits each year. The average yearly CEO pay for an S&P 500 Index firm is $13,940,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    It was discussed back when this all came up with Beth recently during her last power play (and lets be clear, that's all this is, an attempt by Beth to take control. I'm not sure I can find the link the the original story, but the 5 year deadline is mentioned in this one.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/05/3...y-spat-kiszla/

Now granted, nothing is to say in five years, they couldn't extend it again, but right now, that's the NFL's timetable. They want it within 5 years.
    Thank you. I agree, it's a power play on Beth's behalf, that much is obvious. I'm not sure I'd perceive the extension as a deadline per se and I think it's likely a more fluid thing subject to reconsideration, especially if the trust formally and officially proposes Brittany to Goodell and the League owners and asks for a little more time for her to assume the mantle of power...say in seven years, when she's 35? A reasonable compromise to Pat's age 40 preference if she's met all the the other criteria and demonstrated maturity as well.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    The Denver Post ☰ Menu

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.den...len-trust/amp/

I don’t know what’s up with the Denver posts links anymore but just google if you want proof. Cough*butler*cough. It’s on the google home page.
    I think if this lawsuit was brought before Elway it would have much more leverage than now.

Mr B wants to win and wants the fans to be close and in touch with the Broncos. I think Elway has brought both of those to the Broncos.

Now I do not think much of Ellis...but imo he does have a man in place who will push the values that Mr B holds.

Obviously...we are fans...we do not know the inner wishes of Mr B. That is just my perception based on decades of reading and watching interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    The Denver Post ☰ Menu

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.den...len-trust/amp/

I don’t know what’s up with the Denver posts links anymore but just google if you want proof. Cough*butler*cough. It’s on the google home page.
    Sam, it's just great that you've finally got proof for something!

After reading this:

Despite filing lawsuit, Bill Bowlen’s lawyer hopes for out-of-court resolution with trustees

As of Friday afternoon, Ruscitti said the trustees have not been served the lawsuit’s paperwork.
    The trust learned about it from the press, so it appears to be more of a publicity stunt to alert the public of the issues (their complaints) with the hope that it puts pressure on the trust by swaying public opinion, and thereby forcing them to the negotiating table out of court.

Nothing else new other than another statement of solidarity and support for Ellis from Elway, the first having been given in July.

Elway says Ellis 'has been pillar' for Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    After reading this:

Despite filing lawsuit, Bill Bowlen’s lawyer hopes for out-of-court resolution with trustees

The trust learned about it from the press, so it appears to be more of a publicity stunt to alert the public of the issues (their complaints) with the hope that it puts pressure on the trust by swaying public opinion, and thereby forcing them to the negotiating table out of court.

Nothing else new other than another statement of solidarity and support for Ellis from Elway, the first having been given in July.

I'm not swayed, anyone else here swayed? Anyone, anyone? Huh, guess no one cares LOL.

After reading this:

Just someone with no standing who's acting in place of someone else who thinks they deserve the team, but knows they can't file a lawsuit on their own, or it would forever burn that bridge. Once this gets thrown out (I hope there's no negotiations) then it'll be interesting to see if that person files their own lawsuit?

Just someone with no standing who's acting in place of someone else who thinks they deserve the team, but knows they can't file a lawsuit on their own, or it would forever burn that bridge. Once this gets thrown out (I hope there's no negotiations) then it'll be interesting to see if that person files their own lawsuit?
    Bill Bowlen has nothing but a last name which is enough to make headlines, and that is clearly their tactic here.

As for the complaints, I would like to see some evidence, particularly about her wrongful termination. I would also like to know why the trust believes that she's unqualified.

Bill Bowlen has nothing but a last name which is enough to make headlines, and that is clearly their tactic here.

As for the complaints, I would like to see some evidence, particularly about her wrongful termination. I would also like to know why the trust believes that she's unqualified.
    Those two things are probably connected. There's also a little bit of self entitlement that comes off from her announcing that she believes she's qualified to own the team and wants it, as she did in May. That's essentially a power play and looks like it went poorly for her.

Annabel Bowlen moves to intervene in ongoing battle over control of Broncos

After being diagnosed with Alzheimer's, Pat Bowlen established a three-person trust to run the team and determine which of his children would succeed him as controlling owner. Two of his daughters want the job. Now, his wife Annabel Bowlen is moving in to intervene.

Author: Kevin Vaughan
    Published: 10:16 AM MST December 20, 2018
    Updated: 11:16 AM MST December 20, 2018

Annabel Bowlen – the wife of ailing Broncos owner Pat Bowlen – has joined the expanding legal battle over which of his children will ultimately control the NFL team, 9Wants to Know has learned.

Much of that dispute is shrouded in secrecy because it is being fought in probate court, where the details of legal documents are not a matter of public record. However, 9Wants to Know confirmed through Annabel Bowlen’s attorney, Hugh Gottschalk of Wheeler Trigg O’Donnell, that she had filed a motion to intervene in the ongoing litigation.

That litigation began in October when Pat Bowlen’s brother, William “Bill” Bowlen, filed a motion seeking the removal of the three trustees running the team, asserting that they were not fulfilling the longtime owner’s wishes. Bill Bowlen believes one of Pat Bowlen’s daughters is ready to take control of the NFL team.

In a statement issued Thursday, Gottschalk said that Annabel Bowlen filed the motion in Arapahoe County District Court “because William Bowlen does not speak for her with respect to the trustees’ actions involving the operation and control of the Broncos: ‘We believe that that the Trustees have honored the wishes of her husband and their obligation to the beneficiaries of the trust, and that the filing of a lawsuit by Mr. Bowlen’s brother serves no purpose.'”

At the same time, a 9Wants to Know review of the limited information that is available in probate cases shows that Bill Bowlen’s also is trying to cut off money to the three trustees running the Broncos: Joe Ellis, the team’s president and CEO; Richard Slivka, the team’s executive vice president and general counsel; and Mary Kelly, Pat Bowlen’s longtime attorney.

A motion filed Dec. 14 by Bill Bowlen seeks a court order stopping the trustees “from using the assets of Patrick D. Bowlen for fiduciary compensation or attorney fees and costs,” according to docketing information that is public and that was confirmed by Rob McCallum, spokesman for the Colorado Judicial Department.

Pat Bowlen stepped away from his duties with the team in 2014 after announcing that he was battling Alzheimer’s, a progressive brain disease causes memory loss and a deterioration in cognitive abilities. Annabel Bowlen announced in June she also has been diagnosed with the disease.

When Pat Bowlen gave up his role with the team he purchased in 1984, he left Ellis, Slivka and Kelly in charge of running its day-to-day operations and eventually determining which of his seven children should succeed him as the controlling owner of the Broncos. He established criteria he expected that child to meet – education, including an advanced degree, business acumen, five years of combined experience working for the Broncos or the NFL, and traits such as character, honesty and integrity.

Beth Bowlen Wallace, 48, is one of Pat Bowlen’s two children from his first marriage, and she made it clear last spring that she wanted to succeed him as the team’s controlling owner. Brittany Bowlen, 28 and one his five children from his current marriage to Annabel, also wants the job.

After Beth Bowlen Wallace announced her intention last spring to run the Broncos, the trustees issued a terse statement saying “is not capable or qualified at this time” to lead the team. Instead, it appears the trustees are grooming Brittany Bowlen for the role as controlling owner of the team.

Court documents filed in recent months lay bare the intra-family dispute over the long-term future of the Broncos’ ownership.

On Oct. 25, Bill Bowlen filed a motion in Arapahoe County District Court, seeking an order removing the three trustees.

Among Bill Bowlen’s assertions is that the trustees “are refusing the implement a long-term succession plan that meets Patrick D. Bowlen’s stated goals of keeping the Denver Broncos Football Club in his family and under the management and control of his children, knowing that implementation of that plan essentially means the defendants will be working themselves out of a position with the Denver Broncos Football Club.”

Ellis, Slivka and Kelly, Bill Bowlen charged, “are causing dysfunction within the Denver Broncos Football Club and the Bowlen family.”

Bill Bowlen at one time had an ownership stake in the team but sold it to his brother years ago. He supports Beth Bowlen Wallace taking control of the team.

On Nov. 23, attorneys for the trustees sought a stay in Bill Bowlen’s motion while they asked the NFL to step in and settle the dispute.

That filing, a copy of which was obtained by 9NEWS, also reiterated the position of the trustees: “Simply stated, in the trustees’ judgment, Ms. Wallace lacks the business experience and acumen, knowledge, leadership skills, integrity and character necessary to be the sole individual running an NFL franchise valued at $2.5 billion.”

In a Dec. 8 court filing, Bill Bowlen objected to the effort to have the NFL settle the issue and sought a hearing. Since then, the trustees have asked for more time to answer his filing and his request to cut off money, and Wednesday Bill Bowlen answered them with a new filing of his own.

No hearings have been scheduled, although District Judge Charles M. Pratt has scheduled time in January to review the case.

source:https://www.9news.com/article/sports...5-4b5803fbef70

I find this fascinating. See on the one hand I can understand the trustees stance but on the other Bill is not wrong at all. For example - if the trustees were in fact "doing their job" and grooming one or multiple Bowlen children to take over the ownership of the team then, to Bill's point where is the plan? Furthermore where is the internships? training? Management level decisions? I also think that the trustees stance while they have listed multiple qualities they dislike about Beth Bowlen none of them (business experience and acumen, knowledge, leadership skills, integrity and character) none of these have been tested nor have they been proven out. In fact I'd go as far as to say that their comments are nothing more than a qualitative analysis based on their own personal opinion. Now - their opinion may not be wrong but ultimately as a fan I have seen no quantitative measuring stick which the trust has made public. I believe this is Bill Bowlen's point. Now there is also a major disadvantage to the kids with Annabel Bowlen (see below)

Sally Parker:

- Beth Bowlen Age 48
    - Amie Bowlen Klemmer- older

A. Bowlen: (rough guestimate of ages early 30s to 22 years old)
    - John Bowlen
    - Annabel Bowlen (yes because this wouldn't be confusing at all at family gatherings)
    - Brittany Bowlen age 28
    - Christiana Bowlen
    - Patrick Bowlen

Why are the ages important? Easy the terms:

The only terms of the trust which I have been able to find quickly are the following:

1. Terms of the trust require five years’ experience with the league or team.
    2. Education component, where an advanced degree is encouraged
    3. Financial and business acumen
    4. Experience in positions of leadership
    5. An overarching, subjective component to the criteria that calls for the trustees to make judgments on character, honesty and integrity (this is the Qualitative component)

So let's compare:

Beth:
    1. A little over 3 years with the Broncos as director of special projects - left in 2015
    2. bachelor’s degree from the University of Colorado and law degree from the University of Denver in 2016
    3. Ran her own wedding planning business in Hawaii in the 2000's and won awards (multiple). She closed her business in 2008 to be closer to her dad
    4. One she ran her own business and did it well.
    5. This is subjective and frankly if this is the reason why one child gets selected over another one would hope there is ample documentation to support the why

Brittnay:
    1. Finance Degree- Notre Dame & Master's Degree in Business administration (2018)
    2. Two years at the NFL HQ & 1 Year as a BA with the Broncos (left in 2015 after the Super Bowl run)
    3. Full-time consultant at McKinsey & Company after interning there in 2017. Aside form this there is no other business acumen (this is why age is not on her side)
    4. She has no real leadership work experience again due to age but from my readings it looks like she is making a name for herself as people find her approachable and highly intelligent. That said though at age 28-29 leadership experience is tough to get a bunch of.
    5. It would appear that based on public and personal opinions that the trust feels Brit wins this.

So when you look at the tow children who have thrown their hat into the ring their careers (for the most part) and skill-sets are fairly similar. Brit has more of a Finance background whereas Beth has more business and now legal. It is the fact that these two are so similar in terms of meeting the criteria that I think the trustees needs to truly be transparent with the criteria checklists which would put to bed the suit brought forward by Bill. If they aren't then I can see this getting messy - quickly and for good reason.

At the end of the day the NFL remains in control of all of their franchises. If the NFL bylaws state that the NFL is the final arbiter in cases like this then the court will have to agree with that. Because that's something the owners agree to while purchasing the franchise.

The NFL also has the right to remove ownership from a franchise (the NBA did that a few years ago with the Clippers) and force a sale. That's a more likely scenario than this leading to Beth Bowlen owning the team, unless the trust ultimately decides she's the rightful heir.

At the end of the day the NFL remains in control of all of their franchises. If the NFL bylaws state that the NFL is the final arbiter in cases like this then the court will have to agree with that. Because that's something the owners agree to while purchasing the franchise.

The NFL also has the right to remove ownership from a franchise (the NBA did that a few years ago with the Clippers) and force a sale. That's a more likely scenario than this leading to Beth Bowlen owning the team, unless the trust ultimately decides she's the rightful heir.
    If the NFL does decide that then it would be a very difficult battle for the trustees to argue that they did what they were supposed to.