Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Will Grier

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    He played a darn good game yesterday and didn't have any accuracy issues. I keep hearing how this draft isn't a good QB draft but from what I am seeing so far it looks like the opposite. There seems to be a handful of QBs that have some special qualities. I was impressed with Lock yesterday and it wouldn't surprise me to see him and Grier battle it out for who is the 2nd or 3rd best out of this draft.
    That is the issue with this draft class, and why it's considered to be an average one, the extreme inconsistencies they all present. Lock is physically gifted, he has the arm you want in a quarterback, but his mental toughness is questioned and I can see why, he strikes me as a soft quarterback. His last 2 performances have been good, he has flashed his talent and he has been consistent in his performances, it appears his stock is climbing, but the narative 3 weeks ago was a different one.

This class is a collection of middle round prospects, and due to the needs of teams at the quarterback position, you will probably see several of them overdrafted and pushed up into the first round. I really don't see a genuine first round pick amongst the seniors, and the only way this class will potentially fall as it should is if Haskins and Herbert declare. They are the only 2 guys who I see as genuine first round picks based on their skill sets and their consistent performances they have put on tape. If they do declare, I can see them both being top 10 picks with the the likes of Finley, Lock, and Greir at best sneaking into the very back end of round 1, but more than likely getting picked after that. If Haskins and Herbert stay in school though, Finley, Lock, and Greir will climb their way into top 15 discusion and probably be drafted due to supply and demand, rather than their actual talent.

Will Grier reminds me so much of a Jake Plummer type it isn't funny. I would be fine with picking him but really wish we could get him with our 2nd round pick, even if it meant jumping up a few picks. Get a blue chip D--Linemen, ILB, or CB in the first and get Grier with our 2nd, I would be satisfied with that.

The kids just has the makings of a winner imo. I think at the NFL level he would fit a play-action/roll-out offense perfectly and be that 3,500 yds 25 td, 10 int guy every year. Not overly prolific numbers but a great game manager who makes big plays when he needs to. I would compare what I see his NFL career being with Andy Dalton, which I would take in a heartbeat. Again, not sure if he's worth a top 15 pick, but he will go in the top 40 somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Will Grier reminds me so much of a Jake Plummer type it isn't funny. I would be fine with picking him but really wish we could get him with our 2nd round pick, even if it meant jumping up a few picks. Get a blue chip D--Linemen, ILB, or CB in the first and get Grier with our 2nd, I would be satisfied with that.

The kids just has the makings of a winner imo. I think at the NFL level he would fit a play-action/roll-out offense perfectly and be that 3,500 yds 25 td, 10 int guy every year. Not overly prolific numbers but a great game manager who makes big plays when he needs to. I would compare what I see his NFL career being with Andy Dalton, which I would take in a heartbeat. Again, not sure if he's worth a top 15 pick, but he will go in the top 40 somewhere.
    I would hope our next QB has more upside than Andy Dalton. Yes, he's certainly better than Keenum, but then again who isn't? The Bengals certainly aren't a model franchise, but Dalton has done little to elevate them either.

Do we want to find the next Goff or Mahomes? Yes. However, the odds of finding that are rare and those guys are who they are mostly because of the coach and system they play in. You don't need that elite guy to win a Super Bowl, an Andy Dalton type on the right team and in the right system are Super Bowl contenders every year. Good running game and sound defense along with a QB who can make plays on 3rd downs and sustain drives is a winning recipe. As good as Mahomes is, his defense will cost him a shot at a Super Bowl, same with Goff potentially. Idk, we need to quit swinging and missing on these "high ceiling" big potential guys and go with a QB who has above average talent and is cerebral first and foremost. Drew Lock for instance has the best overall talent in this class, however he reminds me too much of Lynch or Jay Cutler. Guys like Grier and Finley are the safer picks imo because they will work their butts off to be great. Remember Drew Brees coming out? Didn't possess a high ceiling, same with Russell Wilson, heck even Aaron Rodgers, and those 3 are top 5 QBs in this league. Once again though, QBs are only as good as the system they're in.

Do we want to find the next Goff or Mahomes? Yes. However, the odds of finding that are rare and those guys are who they are mostly because of the coach and system they play in. You don't need that elite guy to win a Super Bowl, an Andy Dalton type on the right team and in the right system are Super Bowl contenders every year. Good running game and sound defense along with a QB who can make plays on 3rd downs and sustain drives is a winning recipe. As good as Mahomes is, his defense will cost him a shot at a Super Bowl, same with Goff potentially. Idk, we need to quit swinging and missing on these "high ceiling" big potential guys and go with a QB who has above average talent and is cerebral first and foremost. Drew Lock for instance has the best overall talent in this class, however he reminds me too much of Lynch or Jay Cutler. Guys like Grier and Finley are the safer picks imo because they will work their butts off to be great. Remember Drew Brees coming out? Didn't possess a high ceiling, same with Russell Wilson, heck even Aaron Rodgers, and those 3 are top 5 QBs in this league. Once again though, QBs are only as good as the system they're in.
    First, Dalton has had some decent talent around him and has done nothing with it. No playoff wins in 8 years. Yeah, maybe in a perfect scenario he could. I guess if Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson can win SBs, a Dalton type could also, but I wouldn't bet on it. Second, Dalton is nowhere near the likes of Brees, Wilson, or Rodgers. Those three obviously possessed a high ceiling even if some people couldn't see it. I think with Brees and Wilson it was mainly due to their lack of height. Rodgers? Who knows why so many people were wrong about him. I know we're probably never going to have another Elway or Manning, but I hope we can do better than an Andy Dalton clone.

The more interviews and highlights I watch of this kid the more and more I want him. He could be our Baker Mayfield, I really hope Elway does his due diligence on this dude. He fits what I envision as a Broncos QB.

The more interviews and highlights I watch of this kid the more and more I want him. He could be our Baker Mayfield, I really hope Elway does his due diligence on this dude. He fits what I envision as a Broncos QB.
    I agree. He's my favorite QB of this draft for the same reasons Baker was my favorite last year.

I think Elway loved Mayfield and will likely be enamoured with Grier as well, hopefully we don't have to give up too much when we trade up for him. I see us picking around 15-18, might need to get up around 10-12