Bruce Arians: I'd only come out of retirement for Browns

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ent-for-browns

Bruce Arians is enjoying retirement. He likes watching the game from the broadcast booth.

Or at least that's what he told our Ed Sherman.

Those rumblings you hear in the distance? That's the coaching bug awakening within Arians. Put your ear closer to the ground and you'll hear it whisper:

Cleveland.

Arians was in town for the Browns' Week 9 contest against the Kansas City Chiefs. The former coach was on the CBS call of the game, which ended in a 37-21 win for the visiting team.

During a break in the action, the Canton Repository's Steve Doerschuk asked Arians if he'd consider coming out of retirement for another head coaching job. After all, there's going to be an opening in Cleveland in January 2019.

"Cleveland is the only job I would consider," Arians replied.

Now, before you start cooking up Photoshopped images of Arians in an orange-and-brown driver's cap, let's first consider his background. Arians was the offensive coordinator of the only Browns team to make a playoff appearance since the rebirth of the franchise via expansion in 1999. The coach guided the Tim Couch- and Kelly Holcomb-led unit to a productive regular season, squeaking into the playoffs thanks to a Week 17 win over the Atlanta Falcons -- Browns fans remember that snowy day for Jim Donovan's "Run, William, run" call of William Green's touchdown scamper -- and some outside help.

A week later, they found themselves with a 17-point lead on the road in a Wild Card game against the rival Steelers. Then, thanks in part to a demand from head coach Butch Davis to play prevent defense, the wheels fell off.

They've never really been fastened correctly since.

Arians understands what the team means to the region's residents, and also the unique challenges that come with two decades of ineptitude. After all, he was fired by the Browns after the 2003 season, when things suddenly turned from promising to disaster.

His advice for Browns GM John Dorsey? Hire a veteran.

"My guy would be Chuck Pagano," Arians said, backing the candidacy of the coach he once replaced on an interim basis while Pagano battled leukemia.

Might a Pagano-Arians reunion be possible? It was remarkably successful in 2012, when the Indianapolis Colts went from 2-14 to 11-5 and a Wild Card berth with Arians holding the reins for Pagano. But with Arians gone to Arizona from 2013-2017, Pagano struggled to replicate the magic and was fired by the Colts.

Arians, meanwhile, retired after posting three double-digit-win seasons in five years as head coach of the Cardinals. He owns a record of 49-30-1 with a 1-2 mark in the playoffs as a head coach in the NFL.

Retirement is treating him well. But the job he wanted in 2013 has always drawn his eye and is again available. Until it's settled, Arians' candidacy can't be ruled out. Feel free to pass the time by cropping and pasting.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

I always like Bruce and his 'play to win' attitude and play-calling even with average QB play out of Carson Palmer and straight garbage QB play from the back-ups whenever Palmer went down due to injury.

Wish he felt the same about wanting to coach the Broncos...maybe Elway can change his mind after the season.
    Last edited by Mel B.; 11-05-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above

I remember he dismissed a player for parking in his parking spot or something like that?

Yea, found it..what a <insert moniker>-

http://arizonasports.com/story/71974...he-wrong-spot/

There are plenty of things that go into making a successful football team.

You’ll need good players, and from there it’s helpful to have a quality coaching staff.

But one thing that gets talked about a lot but is rarely seen in the public eye is accountability. Sure, a player getting into legal trouble and the subsequent fallout lives under that umbrella, but sometimes issues are not as high profile.

In fact, as showcased by the Amazon series “All or Nothing,” one of the Cardinals’ rules (pun most certainly intended) is making sure to park one’s car in the right spot.

It’s brought up in the first episode, when head coach Bruce Arians is talking to his players.

“My pet peeve is I came to work two days in a row now and some (expletive) was in my spot,” he said. “One was a Jeep with Washington plates today, alright, yesterday it was Jeep with Texas plates, I think, was in my spot.

“If there’s a sign on a parking place anywhere in this facility, don’t park in the (expletive) or I’ll tow your ass.”

Apparently at least one player had trouble with that rule, though we didn’t know it at the time.

On Oct. 21 of last year the Cardinals released defensive tackle Lawrence Okoye from their practice squad. It’s the type of move that generally flies under the radar, as he was not an impact player for the team and few probably even realized he was even with them in the first place.

Turns out, it was his inability to follow directions that led to his departure.

In the third episode, we see a meeting with GM Steve Keim, Arians and team president Michael Bidwill, where Keim begins by saying they were moving on from Okoye.

“Parked in the wrong spot,” Arians says. “There weren’t any parking places so he just parked and came running in. Tough (expletive), bro.”

Arians added that Okoye has a different sense of entitlement as a former Olympian, saying “he is a talented guy.”

“And he probably ought to go to Oxford,” he says, before Bidwill chimes in with, “You’ve got to follow the rules.”

Fair enough.

The next scene in the episode is Arians along with defensive linemen Ed Stinson and Olsen Pierre, who was signed to the practice squad when Okoye was released.

“If you ain’t got no spot to park in, just park in that next parking lot,” Stinson tells Pierre, motioning to an area that is adjacent to the Cardinals’ practice facility.

“If it says ‘handicap’ or if it says ‘season ticket holder,’ the guy that you replaced, he parked there,” Arians quips. “We ain’t got many rules.”

Those thoughts are echoed by Calais Campbell, who is then shown standing up in front of the entire team explaining why something as small as parking in the right spot can actually be a big deal, especially as the team was coming off its second loss of the season in Pittsburgh. The defeat dropped them to 4-2 on the season.

“That’s the kind of thing we can’t have — the signs are there for a reason, you ain’t supposed to park there,” he said. “Just following the rules and handling our business on the small things, that’s really what’s going to turn the corner for us.

“Right now we’re struggling with the small things. That’s one of the reasons why we’re losing.”

The Cardinals must have figured things out, because from that point they reeled off nine straight wins, often times looking outstanding in the process.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Yuck, they may as well try to trade for Mike Tomlin if they are going to go that route.

Bruce Arians is an overhyped blowhard. He went from being a good coach to taking himself way too seriously and doing as many interviews as possible so that everyone knew how he felt about everything. If he comes out of retirement I hope it's nowhere near the Broncos.

I dont think I would want a coach whos first preference is the Cleveland Browns.
    Jesus Loves You, even if you don't love Him.
    Woooo!! Wooooo!!! Wooooooo!!!! Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
    negs are for cowards. I won't back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Bruce Arians is an overhyped blowhard. He went from being a good coach to taking himself way too seriously and doing as many interviews as possible so that everyone knew how he felt about everything. If he comes out of retirement I hope it's nowhere near the Broncos.
    A more self-obsessed Andy Reid is what he reminds me of.
    #swapping

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    First off I agree with what you said. Second he'd still be a major upgrade to what we have now!

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    A more self-obsessed Andy Reid is what he reminds me of.
    Andy Reid is a good coach imo. Just hasn't won the big game, but Cincinnati would be happy if Marvin Lewis could get a playoff win.

Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Andy Reid is a good coach imo. Just hasn't won the big game, but Cincinnati would be happy if Marvin Lewis could get a playoff win.
    Andy is a great coach. His flaw is that he's too smart and he always has to show it to the world. So in many occasions where keeping the play calls conservative is the smart play to put a game on ice, he turns up the complex trickery. And it almost always backfires on him. Especially in the post season. He's that coach that always thinks the "cute" plays will beat Bill B.

Bruce is of that same vein. He's a very smart coach. But not just content with showing how smart he is with play calls, whenever he's given any amount of air time he pontificates how smart he is and it's borderline nauseating at times.
    #swapping