Run Blocking Looks Good

There is a interesting note about how good our run blocking is.

Taken from this source

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/t...ll-rookie-team

"Lindsay’s performance over the first half of the season is not just a Cinderella story. The undrafted back out of Colorado has outperformed his classmates and is turning heads seemingly every time he touches the ball. Through Week 8, Lindsay has benefitted from a great run-blocking offensive line and has gained 52.2% of his rushing yards before first contact, which leads all qualifying backs and makes him the NFL’s only running back to gain more than half of his yards before contact. He’s also averaged an NFL-high 2.98 yards before first contact per attempt, more than a whole yard ahead of premier running back talents like Todd Gurley (1.72), Kareem Hunt (1.10) and Melvin Gordon II (1.96). At the halfway point of the campaign, Lindsay ranks sixth in total rushing yards (531) and fourth in yards per carry (5.71) among running backs with 60-plus attempts."

Not trying to take anything away from Lindsay. Not every RB has the patience and vision to follow their blocks. He is definitely having a good year.

This is just another example of how a pass first attack is a mistake for this team.

The running game is really clicking.

I about fell out of my chair when i learned this morning we are 20th in the league for rushing attempts, 26th in TOP, but rank in the top 10 for yards, TDs, and rushing first downs a game.

Imagine if we actually committed to the run or had a passing offense that would make opposing defenses have to defend the whole field...

Hooray, beer!

Refreshing to see something positive on these boards. I think Joseph and staff will be gone at the end of the year. Moving forward, it's essential that we find a coach who values the run game and actually utilizes the play action. Despite all of the negativity, this team has some exciting pieces in place.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

I about fell out of my chair when i learned this morning we are 20th in the league for rushing attempts, 26th in TOP, but rank in the top 10 for yards, TDs, and rushing first downs a game.

Imagine if we actually committed to the run or had a passing offense that would make opposing defenses have to defend the whole field...
    All the more reason to keep our O-line coach but junk Keenum who holds the ball way too long.

Anyway back to the main topic, I think if the FO knows these numbers, completely understands them then it shouldn’t be too hard to dismiss Musgrave a long with Joseph if Joseph even is dismissed.

For his failures to utilize this running attack, billy mus should be relieved if all duties.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    Refreshing to see something positive on these boards. I think Joseph and staff will be gone at the end of the year. Moving forward, it's essential that we find a coach who values the run game and actually utilizes the play action. Despite all of the negativity, this team has some exciting pieces in place.
    The running game is what has burned up the clock, helping the defense rest and keeping Denver in games.

We’ve lost by small margins and it has been smaller margins because our running attack has kept us in it. Phillip Lindsay could’ve saved many games had he been given the ball more.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 11-08-2018 at 08:28 AM.

It is not JUST that we are running the ball well though. We do need to look at WHEN these runs are taking place and what the score is when they are breaking. For example if we are down 1-2 scores then an opposing team will be happy for 3-5 yard run chunks. It takes time off the clock AND generally means a slower march down the field. What I am seeing a lot of is free releases by our skilled positions. Where are the chips? Where are the motions to get opponents players to shift? I believe it was the Patriots game where they stated that J.White was slightly slower getting to his spot because his job was to chip 1st then run his route. IMO- it is little things like that which A. always make the Patriots competitive and B. Highlight some of our teams issues.

Right. Half the plays should be run and at least half the pass attempts should be play-action. In that style, more than three out of four plays would look like run to the D.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I don't disagree that the Broncos should run the ball more overall... BUT much of the time as a game progresses the success of certain plays tend to dictate what direction the play calling goes.
    In the Houston game they had 8 yards on 9 carries in the first half. They had a number of series start out with a run or 2 yielding very little yardage. The TD drive was all pass plays. Almost all of the yardage gained in the first half was via the pass. The 2nd half started off with a run for no gain. The 2nd drive started with 5 passes in a row then a run for 11 yards, the drive ended with a TD pass with 8 passes in the drive, 3 runs for 10 yards of which one run was for negative 4 yards. The 3rd drive started with 2 runs (I think the mix of run/pass needs to change up - pass more on 1st down for instance) for 5 yards and then a sack.
    The trend to this point is that the run game is not working and they have not ran more than they passed. I would say that it makes sense to go with what has worked and that is, more so the pass, not the run.

I have no confidence that this coaching staff knows how to win games at this point. The decisions at the half and at the end of the game with field goals and time management support that. When approaching the end of the game when only a FG would when it, again I had no confidence that the leadership was capable of winning it.
    It also seemed to me that the weather conditions were not good for kicking long FGs either.
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 11-08-2018 at 09:37 AM.

yea I like those stats too. Going to post them again

Denver team rushing stats

20th in rushing attempts per game
    8th in rushing yards per game
    7th in Rushing TDs
    1st in Average per carry (technically tied with LA)

2nd in Fumbles from RB ( not including QB I assume, the NFL.com stats are incorrect I think as they do not included Booker fumble but Freeman/Lindsay have 0)