The "Appreciation" Thread

As a preface.....no negativity here please. And thank you!

My Wife once told me that she likes to get up each day and express appreciation for the good things in her life. She is not one to talk too much, unlike her "partner", so she typically internalizes her thoughts on this subject. And she seems happy most of the time. Now, she was given a tough road, given who she married. But lets get past that for a moment....

I've followed her lead, and it does work....for me as well. You see, far too often folks wake up a little grouchy or not necessarily in the right mindset, and some days it does not take much for a negative thought or some issue(s) to prevent one from being happy. I understand. Not always easy.

Then again, I am aware of a number of folks who seem to manage life in such an appreciative way, even when they are experiencing pain and problems. Personally, there are times in my life when I was doing perfectly fine but not as happy as I could have been, whereas other times I was dealing with unknown pains, and various issues...but remained happy and positive.

So yes, I think being "appreciative" for those who matter, and for what we have, is the smartest and maybe even most effective way to carry on this journey. It's very easy to assume these folks/these things will always be there, but conversely.....why not celebrate them every day, even if just to yourself, and even if just for a moment or two.

Again, negativity not welcome in this thread. There are plenty of opportunities elsewhere. I'd rather you take the time to "appreciate"...….instead of.

Oh and while I am on the topic....I appreciate this board!

Hey CanDB!

I have one to contribute. It was something someone said to me when I was really young that blew me away and has always stuck with me. I think about it often.

When I was in Middle School, my friends and I were at a bowling alley. One of the friends with us was a couple years older and already in High School (we thought he was SO cool). We always tried to act our "coolest" around him. He was a good looking guy and girls were always fawning over him. This night was no different. Girls kept coming over and talking to him.

Anyway, we're doing cosmic bowling at the local bowling alley and there is a group of girls in the lane next to us. One of the girls comes over to me and says, "I think you're really cute." She was the only girl out of the group that wouldn't be considered cute by my 12 year old boy "standards."

They ran away giggling. I scoffed and turned to my older, cooler friend and said, "Can you believe THAT girl came over and talked to me. Ugh." (Yes, I was a little jerk). I was jealous and frustrated this was the only attention I was getting, while my friend was swimming in girls.

My friend, who I had a ton of respect for, pulls me aside and absolutely lashed me. "What is wrong with you? Do you have any idea how much courage it takes to come up and tell someone that? A compliment is a compliment. Someone is going out of their way to tell you they appreciate you. It doesn't matter who it comes from, whether it's the prettiest girl in school or a girl you don't think is cute. It's a tremendous gift and you should always treat it as such."

It was an incredibly sage piece of advice that came from a 15 year old boy that I still hold dear. It has shaped and significantly changed my life to not only openly accept love, compliments, etc., but also allowed me to understand how important it is to let people know you appreciate them.

-Joshua
    Last edited by Joshua2585; 11-15-2018 at 04:13 PM.

As my youngest daughter always says "Do not hate...appreciate!!!!"
    http://i67.tinypic.com/so4fua.jpgFOR HOF!!!!
    Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
    PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Hey CanDB!

I have one to contribute. It was something someone said to me when I was really young that blew me away and has always stuck with me. I think about it often.

When I was in Middle School, my friends and I were at a bowling alley. One of the friends with us was a couple years older and already in High School (we thought he was SO cool). We always tried to act our "coolest" around him. He was a good looking guy and girls were always fawning over him. This night was no different. Girls kept coming over and talking to him.

Anyway, we're doing cosmic bowling at the local bowling alley and there is a group of girls in the lane next to us. One of the girls comes over to me and says, "I think you're really cute." She was the only girl out of the group that wouldn't be considered cute by my 12 year old boy "standards."

They ran away giggling. I scoffed and turned to my older, cooler friend and said, "Can you believe THAT girl came over and talked to me. Ugh." (Yes, I was a little jerk). I was jealous and frustrated this was the only attention I was getting, while my friend was swimming in girls.

My friend, who I had a ton of respect for, pulls me aside and absolutely lashed me. "What is wrong with you? Do you have any idea how much courage it takes to come up and tell someone that? A compliment is a compliment. Someone is going out of their way to tell you they appreciate you. It doesn't matter who it comes from, whether it's the prettiest girl in school or a girl you don't think is cute. It's a tremendous gift and you should always treat it as such."

It was an incredibly sage piece of advice that came from a 15 year old boy that I still hold dear. It has shaped and significantly changed my life to not only openly accept love, compliments, etc., but also allowed me to understand how important it is to let people know you appreciate them.

-Joshua
    Hey Josh.....what a great story, and even better, what a great life lesson! The sad thing is, so many of us look/looked beyond the perfect partner who was right in front of us. And not to knock the good looking folks, because many, many of them are fantastic people, but I have learned a valuable lesson as well.....good looking folks do not look so good after you realize that they are not good people...and conversely, folks who are not perceived by some as being really good looking, will in time grow on you in so many ways, because they are genuinely good inside. In fact, it's the inner person that is anywhere from beautiful to unattractive.

And last word...your "cool" friend, IS very, very "cool"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin27 View Post
    As my youngest daughter always says "Do not hate...appreciate!!!!"
    She's already got things in the right perspective my friend. Good for her!

I won't bump (too much), but just trying to get some folks feeling the good stuff.....those who might want to try this approach. Think positive. There's a load of negativity out there, so stay away. Hang with positive people. And yes, look around. Appreciate the good things....most important, the people.

Things I appreciate:
    Being alive.
    Caring family.
    Fabulous friends.
    Gorgeous granddaughters.
    Community - online and face to face.
    Faith and fun.
    Sunshine through the window and ever changing skies.
    Seeing my beautiful Poppy the Spaniel through the window and feeding her treats (I dare not go down the precarious step to the garage right now to give her any attention until I heal)
    Good food, great coffee.

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    Things I appreciate:
    Being alive.
    Caring family.
    Fabulous friends.
    Gorgeous granddaughters.
    Community - online and face to face.
    Faith and fun.
    Sunshine through the window and ever changing skies.
    Seeing my beautiful Poppy the Spaniel through the window and feeding her treats (I dare not go down the precarious step to the garage right now to give her any attention until I heal)
    Good food, great coffee.
    Now we're cookin!

On days like this I appreciate those poor turkeys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    On days like this I appreciate those poor turkeys!!!
    I appreciate that I have the bountiful ability to prepare that turkey and enjoy it with my friends/family.

(ok...sounds corny, but it's true!)

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    I appreciate that I have the bountiful ability to prepare that turkey and enjoy it with my friends/family.

(ok...sounds corny, but it's true!)
    I get it.....but others may not see it that way.