Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: O-Line Issues

Bolles is raw and has been playing much better lately. I think he will be ok.

The O Line actually did great this last game. I think Billy Turner should be a starter. I think the O Line also got the game ball Kudos to revamped O Line way to go guys keep up the hard work !!

It's no surprise that the OL improved without Max Garcia.

And now the Broncos re-signed Cyrus Kouandjio, another player who is better than Garcia.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

It would be great to see this become a top priority, as it looks like Keenum is around for at least another year. He just looks so much better when he has a secure pocket and so much less secure with any kind of pressure. Look at the Colts, drafting Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith. Luck now has all day back there to throw, and when he gets an edge rush, steps forward into a clean pocket and delivers. They have gone from allowing 37 sacks in 2015, 44 sacks in 2016 and 56 sacks in 2017 to only allowing 10-sacks this whole year and none in the last 4 to 5 games. Their running backs are on fire. When you watch the surge that their guards are getting in short yardage situations, it's unreal. I'm not sure we've seen anything quite like that in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    It's no surprise that the OL improved without Max Garcia.

And now the Broncos re-signed Cyrus Kouandjio, another player who is better than Garcia.
    I actually like Kouandjio quite a bit, I was hoping for him to make the final roster. If pressed into action hopefully he shows well and earns a spot for 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I actually like Kouandjio quite a bit, I was hoping for him to make the final roster. If pressed into action hopefully he shows well and earns a spot for 2019.

I agree. He didn't really deserve to be cut in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    I agree. He didn't really deserve to be cut in the first place.
    Of all the cuts after preseason, that's the one that surprised me the most. Cyrus will be repped to play RT. He and Gradkowski will probably be active on game day as inside/outside backups with Jones and Falah inactive. Austin Schlottman and Andreas Knappe remain on the PS.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Elijah Wilkinson showed he can hold up his end. This is the difference between having Sean Kugler and Jeff Davidson. I think with all that's happened with shifting of the lines and injuries to nearly all vets and starters, it's remarkable we're still the #1 rushing team.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Elijah Wilkinson showed he can hold up his end. This is the difference between having Sean Kugler and Jeff Davidson. I think with all that's happened with shifting of the lines and injuries to nearly all vets and starters, it's remarkable we're still the #1 rushing team.
    Elijah Wilkinson is a bruiser. He and the rest of the interior O-Line were smacking people around in Carson, CA on Sunday. That line, with three new starters, played with more cohesion than any previous O-Line this year. No sacks and no penalties. If they can keep that up, Denver can win some more games. The acquisitions of Gradkowski and Kouandijo give the Broncos just enough depth to squeak by the rest of the year.

I went back and watched all the O-Line play again. The rushing attack didn't use that much zone blocking. There were a number of angle blocked plays including one where the Center and both Tackles pulled. There were a number of run plays where O-Linemen released to the second level. There were a number of run plays that featured Drive and Base blocks with interior guys driving their assignments straight back several yards. I'm not sure, but I think this may constitute a departure from the blocking schemes in previous games.

The way our line played Sunday once again goes to show that our coaching staff sucks at playing the right players. Garcia is hot trash and should not see the starting line-up ever. To be honest I also think maybe McGovern is an upgrade over Paradis, it just seemed like when Paradis and Garcia was in there we got an awful lot of pressure up the middle. I hope this line continues to show out for the rest of the season, then we can ink McGovern long term to be our center, LT will no longer be a need, and if Turner continues to do well at RG with Leary back we will be set at G, RT will be up in the air but at least we wont have to re-vamp the entire line.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Elijah Wilkinson is a bruiser. He and the rest of the interior O-Line were smacking people around in Carson, CA on Sunday. That line, with three new starters, played with more cohesion than any previous O-Line this year. No sacks and no penalties. If they can keep that up, Denver can win some more games. The acquisitions of Gradkowski and Kouandijo give the Broncos just enough depth to squeak by the rest of the year.

I went back and watched all the O-Line play again. The rushing attack didn't use that much zone blocking. There were a number of angle blocked plays including one where the Center and both Tackles pulled. There were a number of run plays where O-Linemen released to the second level. There were a number of run plays that featured Drive and Base blocks with interior guys driving their assignments straight back several yards. I'm not sure, but I think this may constitute a departure from the blocking schemes in previous games.
    Zero tfl as well.

Not surprised getting Garcia out of there improved the line tremendously

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post

I was very impressed with how well they played against one of the best DLines in the league, as well as against Bosa and Ingram. Last season that defense shut out our team. It seems the coaching is getting absolutely every ounce of use and talent out of this line. I'm very impressed so far with what Kugler is doing with this O-line, considering it's been changed 4 or 5 times now. Pittsburgh's defense is listed as the 6th defense in the league, according to ESPN. Let's see how this offensive line holds up against them.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...sition/defense
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

The pass blocking did well against the Chargers. The run blocking has been good all season.

PFF did a write up that was linked on Denverbroncos.com about how Lindsay gets 52% of his yards before contact...most of any qualifying backs in the NFL. That will probably go up after last Sunday as I do not think he was touched on the 41 yard TD run.

I have been giving credit to the OL coaches this year. Think they deserve credit for what was done against the Chargers too

I think it actually started the 2nd game against KC but it seems our game plans are starting to take advantage of our run game strengths. It is not just about running the ball a lot...it is about leveraging that strength into easier pass plays.
    Last edited by Hadez; 11-23-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    The pass blocking did well against the Chargers. The run blocking has been good all season.

PFF did a write up that was linked on Denverbroncos.com about how Lindsay gets 52% of his yards before contact...most of any qualifying backs in the NFL. That will probably go up after last Sunday as I do not think he was touched on the 41 yard TD run.

I have been giving credit to the OL coaches this year. Think they deserve credit for what was done against the Chargers too

I think it actually started the 2nd game against KC but it seems our game plans are starting to take advantage of our run game strengths. It is not just about running the ball a lot...it is about leveraging that strength into easier pass plays.
    I think that's because he hits the hole so fast. That may be why zone blocked plays are decreasing, angle blocks are increasing and they are using a combination of Drive and Base blocks along with releasing a lineman or two to the second level.

Right. All run plays should have a play action companion except for those that would result in ineligible downfield flag.

Musgrave has a nice PAP off of Draw action, but I haven't seen it lately. It can be run from I/offset I.