Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I wonder if this is a play to get Harbaugh into here. Kubiak had good years with him as his coordinator. While I don't think it would radically change this team moving from Musgrave to Kubiak, the stability Harbaugh would bring is well worth it.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post

Also, Kubiak tends to fall in love with the middling, journeyman quarterback, least we forget this is the same guy who turned away Peyton Manning for Matt Shaub.
    In Houston, the owner, Bob McNair, calls the shot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/houston...n-manning/amp/

Similarly, when McNair first hired Kubiak, he made Kubiak work with David Carr.

If Kubiak becomes the OC I would expect him to be grooming his son to take over for him. I doubt he leaves Denver, I do think Harbaugh is our top candidate and this is a ploy to get him here

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    The stress came from being the head coach.

He’s never had a problem at OC.
    He had one smooth season as OC with the Ravens, but I can't see how working as an OC and handling the pressure of calling plays with games on the line won't affect his health in the near future. I wish Kubiak the best, but it's weird to think that he'd collapse as a HC and yet be 100% stress-free as an OC.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    No thanks, we need a bright young offensive mind not a re-tread who uses outdated schemes like Bill Musgrave.
    Kyle Shanahan uses the exact same offense, but hasn't had near as much success with it. Yet he's considered a "bright offensive mind" and Kubiak is considered to have an outdated scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    If Kubiak becomes the OC I would expect him to be grooming his son to take over for him. I doubt he leaves Denver, I do think Harbaugh is our top candidate and this is a ploy to get him here
    I agree with this. I think Denver s going to go all-in on getting John Harbaugh. And they'll exploit the Kubiak connection as much as they can. This story just seems way too convenient to not be the Broncos releasing it to tell Harbaugh that they've already got an OC for him here.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    There's a belief among fans that we can run the ball 60 times a game and somehow we'd be successful. It's just not how the NFL operates and not what the offensive rules are set up for.

I don't think this team would be any better with Kubiak as coordinator. The decline of the offense directly started with him taking over in 2015. At least this season it's not a complete train wreck. We again just don't have a quarterback.

Also, Kubiak tends to fall in love with the middling, journeyman quarterback, least we forget this is the same guy who turned away Peyton Manning for Matt Shaub.
    You're leaving out big chunks of the story here. 1. The Texans had previously signed Schaub to an extension and lacked the cap room to add Manning and/or move on from Schaub. 2. Manning was coming back from missing an entire season after several neck surgeries and wasn't seen as a sure thing. 3. From 2009-2012 Schaub was actually an excellent QB. Matt Schaub crumbled for some odd reason starting in 2013, but the 4 years before that he was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Kyle Shanahan uses the exact same offense, but hasn't had near as much success with it. Yet he's considered a "bright offensive mind" and Kubiak is considered to have an outdated scheme?
    To take it a step further, Sean McVay runs an extremely similar scheme with 61% of Gurley’s runs being outside zone. The key difference, on 31% (maybe 39%) of those runs there’s pre snap motion going the opposite direction (jet sweep etc) to freeze the defense for a split second. On outside runs, Gurley averages 3.5 ypc before contact.

Take a look at the best offenses and they’re using a lot of presnap motion that freezes the defense. This opens up running lanes for RBs and in the passing game it slows down the pass rush allowing targets to get downfield while giving you a checkdown option.

It's not the exact same offense. Kyle has a more updated version and focuses on exploiting matchups, which means he attacks specific areas of the defense, while Kubiak just calls a play and expects the offense to execute it regardless of the defensive look.

Didn't Kyle win NFL Assistant Coach of the Year as recently as 2016, coordinating the top-scoring offense? I don't see Matt Ryan and the Falcons having anything close to that efficiency without Kyle Shanahan.

And isn't Kyle Shanahan 6-2 as a HC when he has a serviceable QB like Garoppolo, who is not even considered one of the top QBs?

Even with QBs like CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens, the 49ers are averaging more points per game this season than the Broncos with Case Keenum, their QB of choice.

And it's not just the fans who praise Kyle Shanahan as "bright offensive mind", it's the NFL. Andy Benoit asked coaches which systems they were studying in the offseason, and only two names popped up: Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    It's not the exact same offense. Kyle has a more updated version and focuses on exploiting matchups, which means he attacks specific areas of the defense, while Kubiak just calls a play and expects the offense to execute it regardless of the defensive look.

Didn't Kyle win NFL Assistant Coach of the Year as recently as 2016, coordinating the top-scoring offense? I don't see Matt Ryan and the Falcons having anything close to that efficiency without Kyle Shanahan.

And isn't Kyle Shanahan 6-2 as a HC when he has a serviceable QB like Garoppolo, who is not even considered one of the top QBs?

Even with QBs like CJ Beathard and Nick Mullens, the 49ers are averaging more points per game this season than the Broncos with Case Keenum, their QB of choice.

And it's not just the fans who praise Kyle Shanahan as "bright offensive mind", it's the NFL. Andy Benoit asked coaches which systems they were studying in the offseason, and only two names popped up: Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.

Good HC's don't need people making excuses for them like "with a serviceable QB" how's his record overall? How is the 49ers offense doing this year? They're middling, and that's with one of "the best offensive minds" running things.

And yes he had a great year as an OC which got him this job he's doing poorly with, but what about his other years as an OC?

And the story you posted is from back in June, when McVay and Shanahan still had buzz. McVay still does but Shanahan does not. If the story was to take place today it would be teams studying Andy Reid and Sean Payton's offenses. Next year it will be two different coaches.

Final point, Shanahan is a good OC, he does have 2016 to prove that (despite the Super Bowl). But he's in over his head as an HC, and certainly wasn't ready to be HC/OC. He'll probably be a good HC one day, but it's not going to happen in San Fran, it'll happen in his second job, after his gone back to being an OC for a year or two.

Good HC's don't need people making excuses for them like "with a serviceable QB" how's his record overall?
    You don't like Kyle Shanahan. We get it. The NFL does, however, and I just showed you he is well respected as a play caller regardless of your opinion. That's all.

You don't like Kyle Shanahan. We get it. The NFL does, however, and I just showed you he is well respected as a play caller regardless of your opinion. That's all.
    I am not sure if it is Kyle or just anyone with the Shanahan name

Still confused how that name is so disliked by some around here

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I am not sure if it is Kyle or just anyone with the Shanahan name

Still confused how that name is so disliked by some around here
    It's bizarre how unliked he is. I get that some may think he's overrated, but some really go out of their way to bash on him. I tend to think it's because the same posters don't want to acknowledge the huge mistake made by Elway and VJ - so they can say "See, Shanahan sucks too!"
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

He's made his opinion known for a long time on it. No one even brought up Shanahan's name in the conversation
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

It looks like Harbaugh is trying to get fired in Baltimore.
    It would be great to have him and Kubes coaching us next year.