Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoffs...

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    I think it's because people are so hung up on comparing our defense to 2015. They have unrealistic expectations of what a defense should look like based on how dominant they were that year. Based on football outsiders, Denver has the fourth most efficient defense this season. I believe it takes into account the offenses each defense is playing. Is it a great defense? No, but it is a solid enough defense to be a successful team with a competent offense. Just like the past couple of years, it continues to be put into unfavorable positions because our offense is third to last in time of possession, despite having a solid run game.
    Honestly, we had a far easier schedule in 2015. We've faced the most high powered offense in the league (chiefs) twice. A team that lost a game where they put up 51 points, a team that in their losses averages 45+ points... And we held them well under their points average. We've faced the Rams, an equally powerful offense and the Chargers and held them under their points average as well.

We have had a BRUTAL first half of our schedule and people don't take that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Honestly, we had a far easier schedule in 2015. We've faced the most high powered offense in the league (chiefs) twice. A team that lost a game where they put up 51 points, a team that in their losses averages 45+ points... And we held them well under their points average. We've faced the Rams, an equally powerful offense and the Chargers and held them under their points average as well.

We have had a BRUTAL first half of our schedule and people don't take that into account.
    Good point. Speaking of, since after the Jets game, we have held every team under their season average.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Good point. Speaking of, since after the Jets game, we have held every team under their season average.
    I think the big hang up isn't just that we're sad the 2015 defense is no longer here, or that VJ has botched a game or two and people don't believe in him, but also the fact that that Jets game happened. After 10 games it's absolutely the anomaly to our season. But it still happened. 34-10 flat embarrassment. I still am scratching my head nearly two months later on what exactly happened that day. In a game we jumped out to a 7-0 lead as well.

I'm completely on board with what Freyaka is saying. Insane tough schedule and we should probably absolutely be 6-4 or 7-3. And yet in spite of all of that we're still a team that lost to an awful Jets team in blowout fashion. I just can't figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I think the big hang up isn't just that we're sad the 2015 defense is no longer here, or that VJ has botched a game or two and people don't believe in him, but also the fact that that Jets game happened. After 10 games it's absolutely the anomaly to our season. But it still happened. 34-10 flat embarrassment. I still am scratching my head nearly two months later on what exactly happened that day. In a game we jumped out to a 7-0 lead as well.

I'm completely on board with what Freyaka is saying. Insane tough schedule and we should probably absolutely be 6-4 or 7-3. And yet in spite of all of that we're still a team that lost to an awful Jets team in blowout fashion. I just can't figure that one out.
    I think the MORE important thing is not that the Jets game happened, teams find an advantage and exploit it, the Jets saw a weakness in our run defense and went to TOWN on it. The important thing is, it hasn't happened since. Oh, don't get me wrong, we've had the Rams go off on us, but it wasn't for the same reason the Jets running game went off on us. ( I think a lot of the Rams game was a rookie getting his first start at MLB, that same rookie played really well last game to make up for it)

That tells me that the coaching staff recognized that flaw and adjusted so that it couldn't be exploited. That tells me this coaching staff (as much as all of us hate to admit it because that would mean VJ could actually get better) is growing and learning for mistakes.

I think the MORE important thing is not that the Jets game happened, teams find an advantage and exploit it, the Jets saw a weakness in our run defense and went to TOWN on it. The important thing is, it hasn't happened since. Oh, don't get me wrong, we've had the Rams go off on us, but it wasn't for the same reason the Jets running game went off on us. ( I think a lot of the Rams game was a rookie getting his first start at MLB, that same rookie played really well last game to make up for it)

That tells me that the coaching staff recognized that flaw and adjusted so that it couldn't be exploited. That tells me this coaching staff (as much as all of us hate to admit it because that would mean VJ could actually get better) is growing and learning for mistakes.
    I definitely wasn't mentioning it as a problem. Because as you said it hasn't happened since. The blowout part anyway. I just meant I think a lot of us haven't been able to wash the taste of it out of our mouth. Probably because it was a long losing streak before the Cardinals game. And most games we were down right away and playing from behind all game. Even if we had a chance at the end. So I think because that blowout happened and then the record proceeded to start following a similar path to last year a lot of us started feeling like it was same old same old. Even though when you sit there and focus in on what's actually transpiring you realize there has been a lot of improvement. My brother pointed that out to me during the Texans game and I wasn't seeing it at the time. But now that I look at the big picture I'm realizing this season has a much more optimistic feel to it than last year did after 10 games.

I just think a lot of posters have had certain reasons why they haven't been able to see that yet. And I think the Jets game is one of them.

If we can win the next 3 games and be at 7-6, then I think we can talk about it.

Even though when you sit there and focus in on what's actually transpiring you realize there has been a lot of improvement.
    It is hard because VJ was so monumentally bad last year, I mean just freaking awful. Most of us wanted him gone at the end of last year, he didn't go anywhere and we were still losing so most of us wanted him gone after the Jets game, then after the bye....now he's basically here still and we want him gone at the end of the year.

We've all made up our minds based on last year that he's not a good coach and never will be, but as hard as it is to swallow, he HAS improved. This team last year went on a huge losing streak. We didn't just lose games close, every single game during our losing streak was basically as bad as the Jets game this year. We started out hot, but then once teams got tape on us and figured out how to stop us, we never adjusted. We spent the entire year looking massively underprepared and overwhelmed week in and week out.

This year, the team looks far more polished and ready to play. We still have some struggles on offense, that stems from A) having a garbage o-line and B) having an average QB who is among the worst in the league on 3rd down.

This team isn't getting beat by large margins (aside from the Jets game and to a lesser extent the Ravens game) we've played every game close against really tough teams. A poorly coached team doesn't do that.

None of that is to say that I want us to keep VJ another year, I don't, but if it happens, I'm not gonna rage and scream and throw a fit because I recognize he IS growing this year, which means he is capable of continuing to grow going forward.

There are plenty of areas this team has improved this season, but we're so focused on last year and how bad of a job VJ did, we refuse to see the good and focus on whatever bad things we can find to nitpick. Then when games like this one happen where the team was actually very well coached, we have to latch onto silly things like "he went for it instead of taking 3 points" or "he should have challenged the 2 point conversion, despite the fact that the league said they'd have upheld the play on the field and we'd have lost the challenge"

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    If we can win the next 3 games and be at 7-6, then I think we can talk about it.
    LOL, agreed.

Maybe this thread should be called Play-Ifs

I am good with the optimism. It's going to be tough, but it's possible.

It does however remind me of the thread I posted earlier this season when we almost beat KC at home. The premise...if we win close games do we come away with a much different perspective than if we barely lose? In other words, if we make that one important play, does it erase most of the concerns? I am not one to subscribe to that. Yes, winning or losing a close game is a different experience....but I do not see it as the ultimate definition of a team.

The real definition is won / loss record...and we are still 2 games under 500. If we continue the streak, I will certainly start to believe in the playoff possibilities. But Pittsburgh is squarely in front of us, and it's not going to be easy.

Having said that....minimize their run game, and pressure the heck out of Roethlisberger. I do see a victory if he is under attack.

It is hard because VJ was so monumentally bad last year, I mean just freaking awful. Most of us wanted him gone at the end of last year, he didn't go anywhere and we were still losing so most of us wanted him gone after the Jets game, then after the bye....now he's basically here still and we want him gone at the end of the year.

We've all made up our minds based on last year that he's not a good coach and never will be, but as hard as it is to swallow, he HAS improved. This team last year went on a huge losing streak. We didn't just lose games close, every single game during our losing streak was basically as bad as the Jets game this year. We started out hot, but then once teams got tape on us and figured out how to stop us, we never adjusted. We spent the entire year looking massively underprepared and overwhelmed week in and week out.

This year, the team looks far more polished and ready to play. We still have some struggles on offense, that stems from A) having a garbage o-line and B) having an average QB who is among the worst in the league on 3rd down.

This team isn't getting beat by large margins (aside from the Jets game and to a lesser extent the Ravens game) we've played every game close against really tough teams. A poorly coached team doesn't do that.

None of that is to say that I want us to keep VJ another year, I don't, but if it happens, I'm not gonna rage and scream and throw a fit because I recognize he IS growing this year, which means he is capable of continuing to grow going forward.

There are plenty of areas this team has improved this season, but we're so focused on last year and how bad of a job VJ did, we refuse to see the good and focus on whatever bad things we can find to nitpick. Then when games like this one happen where the team was actually very well coached, we have to latch onto silly things like "he went for it instead of taking 3 points" or "he should have challenged the 2 point conversion, despite the fact that the league said they'd have upheld the play on the field and we'd have lost the challenge"
    Agreed. The one thing I absolutely cannot take away from him is the fight he is getting from his players.

Fivethirtyeight gives us only a 4% chance of making the playoffs. Most scenarios say the last wildcard spot will go 10-6 (or even 11-5!) but there are still some scenarios where 9-7 or even 8-8 make the playoffs.

We have 5 teams in front of us at 5-5, all vying for the last wildcard position.

What games this week would improve those odds the most?

Pittsburgh at Denver. (Mr. Obvious here.) We have to win. Sure, there are some scenarios where the last wildcard holds a 9-7 record, even an 8-8 record, but in those situations we lose on almost all tiebreakers. If we don’t win, we will need a whole lot of help. We’re three point underdogs at home – really? Hard to believe. Let’s show ‘em!!

Raiders at Ravens. OK, I’m not expecting a whole lot here. The Ravens are 11 point favorites. The Raiders have won only 2 games this year, one against the Cardinals and one against the Browns. They also played us close, losing by one point. But the Raiders are coming off of a win, so who knows – maybe they can put a string together. The Ravens hold the tiebreaker against us, so they are the ones to watch the most. If they lose (unlikely) it will turn the wildcard race upside down.

Texans at Titans. Believe it or not, the Titans are probably going to be favorites in 5 of their next six games. Yikes! But they are underdogs against the Texans. Go Texans! Go DT!! I hope you get 200 yards receiving!

Browns at Bengals. The Bengals are another team to watch – they should be favorites in 4 of their next six games. If the Browns pull off an upset here, the Bengals will drop to 5-6, tied with us (hopefully), and then we play them for the ultimate showdown. I actually like the Browns' chances. If the Bengals tank this week, then the winner of the Bengals-Broncos game next week will still be in the hunt, and the loser will be toast..

Dolphins at Colts. Colts are favorites, so I guess I’ll root for the Dolphins. At the end of this week, one will be 6-5, the other will be 5-6. So after next week only one of these teams will be in front of us , I hope. I think we can beat either one.
    Last edited by Rancher Mike; 11-22-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Gotta treat this Steelers game like a playoff game. Let’s go!!

AB is having a very down year for AB. Not sure if it's him or increased weapons around him taking targets away. Although he did burn CHJ like crazy the SB year in Pittsburgh.

It's going to be a tough day for the secondary but it can be done.
    we just gave up 400 yards in the air to rivers who has less weapons on the outside........its going to get ugly quick

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    we just gave up 400 yards in the air to rivers who has less weapons on the outside........its going to get ugly quick
    One game doesn’t translate to what will happen in every other.

Mahomes is the league leader in pass yards. He only threw for 300 both times against us. We allowed more to rivers even though you wouldn’t think we would.

Giving up 400 to rivers doesn’t mean we will allow more to Big Ben.

This defense struggles the most in giving up huge pass plays. It probably will get even worse with Brock as the #2 now and a guaranteed raw player such as Yiadom and Langley covering the 3rd receiver. Its just not a good match up. Would not be surprised to see James Washington go for 100+ yards with 1 or more TDs knowing who is going to cover him.