Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    As many have stated, Haskins is good when everything is going as planned. But his lack of mobility means when things break down, he's a deer in headlights.

That only to me makes him not a good pick for Denver. The OL isn't good enough for a rookie QB that can't use his legs if the play doesn't go as planned.

We need someone who at the very least with mobility, can get out the pocket and make plays, not even necessarily running but just extending the play. Think Rodgers when he spins out of harm or runs a little to the right, then slings it.

Broncos tend to succeed the most when the QB can at the least be decent on bootleg. But that success comes from a good passing game and respectable run game. We got the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    As many have stated, Haskins is good when everything is going as planned. But his lack of mobility means when things break down, he's a deer in headlights.

That only to me makes him not a good pick for Denver. The OL isn't good enough for a rookie QB that can't use his legs if the play doesn't go as planned.

We need someone who at the very least with mobility, can get out the pocket and make plays, not even necessarily running but just extending the play. Think Rodgers when he spins out of harm or runs a little to the right, then slings it.

Broncos tend to succeed the most when the QB can at the least be decent on bootleg. But that success comes from a good passing game and respectable run game. We got the latter.
    I watched him against Michigan and he seemed to have decent mobility. He's certainly no statue like Rivers or Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    I watched him against Michigan and he seemed to have decent mobility. He's certainly no statue like Rivers or Brady.
    Let's be honest about Michigan. As good as that defense is, one of its flaws is stopping QBs from moving around. Excuses can be made about the bowl game, x players didn't play. But Franks was looking like Dashaun Watson against Michigan.

Franks being 6'5 and 228, Haskins 195-198?
    If a big guy like Franks can move around against Michigan(Indiana's QB also moved around against them), Haskins would.(did)

Let's be honest about Michigan. As good as that defense is, one of its flaws is stopping QBs from moving around. Excuses can be made about the bowl game, x players didn't play. But Franks was looking like Dashaun Watson against Michigan.

Franks being 6'5 and 228, Haskins 195-198?
    If a big guy like Franks can move around against Michigan(Indiana's QB also moved around against them), Haskins would.(did)
    Several websites have Haskins listed at 215 or above. 195 lbs would make him the same weight as Kyler Murray, which I highly doubt.

Several websites have Haskins listed at 215 or above. 195 lbs would make him the same weight as Kyler Murray, which I highly doubt.
    24/7 sports has him at 198. ESPN 220. Wiki 218.
    Roto and sports ref has him at 220.

That's probably his correct weight. I was going off 24/7 sports weight for him.

Either way, his ability to move against Michigan isn't as impressive when others succeed there as well. Even one of the commentators during the bowl game kept saying the winner of Florida vs Michigan would be based on the QB being about to move.

I'm not saying Haskins is a slug. The Jamis comparison someone had is probably the best pro comparison to make.

Then there is the fact that he is an Ohio St QB. When was the last time an Ohio St. QB was worth anything as a pro QB? That's a school that produces a lot of talent to the pros, none at QB. 2 of the last 3 this decade got switched to wide outs.

Either way, his ability to move against Michigan isn't as impressive when others succeed there as well. Even one of the commentators during the bowl game kept saying the winner of Florida vs Michigan would be based on the QB being about to move.

I'm not saying Haskins is a slug. The Jamis comparison someone had is probably the best pro comparison to make.

Then there is the fact that he is an Ohio St QB. When was the last time an Ohio St. QB was worth anything as a pro QB? That's a school that produces a lot of talent to the pros, none at QB. 2 of the last 3 this decade got switched to wide outs.
    I don't watch a ton of OSU games, but Haskins seems far different from guys like J.T. Barrett, Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, or Terrelle Pryor. None of them was ever considered to be a good QB prospect.

Dwayne Haskins = Paxton Lynch. And, if I wanted to be super generous he MIGHT develop into a Blake Bortles.
    Living in Big 10 country but not being an OSU fan (so I'm objective), I've watched several of Haskins' games - especially the big ones and I don't know that I've ever seem him make a pressure throw to anyone with tight coverage. He is big and tall and has an arm, but, and I'm not saying he's stupid, he is very slow to spot a receiver opening up or throwing a guy open. I've seen it many times over the years where a guy has success in college because he's throwing to open guys but when NFL bullets are flying they look like Paxton Lynch. The opposite is a guy like Brady who, for whatever the reasons, wasn't able to beat out until he proved it while battling for paying time with Drew Henson. Brady had some great comeback wins that season and showed me he was a gamer and could throw people open. BUT, come draft time most people looked at his inability to beat out (cleanly) Brian Griese and Drew Henson, but then again Lloyd Carr was never considered any kind of genius. Brady's stats were only so-so and he had low draft stock. Lynch had better college stats than Brady, is a bit taller, and had a fluid arm. Of course we all know which one succeeded in the NFL.
    Most public draft analysis had Lynch as a 1st rounder and as I recall the Broncos were praised more for drafting Lynch than the Chiefs were for drafting Mahomes. In fact many "experts" felt the Chiefs made a mistake because Mahomes was so raw and indisciplined.
    My point is really simple, IGNORE the expert descriptions of draft stock, college stats, and even who they beat out at the position. Watch the big game tape and see if that QB can process the information under pressure and deliver. From my eye, Haskins is pure fools gold.

I don't watch a ton of OSU games, but Haskins seems far different from guys like J.T. Barrett, Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, or Terrelle Pryor. None of them was ever considered to be a good QB prospect.
    I live in Ohio and have seen enough OSU games to say he is much different than an QB OSU has had in recent memory and probably is the most pro style QB Urban Myers has had.

His first instinct is not to run but look down field, I feel his athleticism is similar to Aaron Rodgers in that he isn't a elite athlete like Russell Wilson but is good at moving around in and outside of the pocket.
    "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Some blistering hot takes on Dwayne Haskins in here. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop_Block View Post
    Dwayne Haskins = Paxton Lynch. And, if I wanted to be super generous he MIGHT develop into a Blake Bortles.
    Living in Big 10 country but not being an OSU fan (so I'm objective), I've watched several of Haskins' games - especially the big ones and I don't know that I've ever seem him make a pressure throw to anyone with tight coverage. He is big and tall and has an arm, but, and I'm not saying he's stupid, he is very slow to spot a receiver opening up or throwing a guy open. I've seen it many times over the years where a guy has success in college because he's throwing to open guys but when NFL bullets are flying they look like Paxton Lynch. The opposite is a guy like Brady who, for whatever the reasons, wasn't able to beat out until he proved it while battling for paying time with Drew Henson. Brady had some great comeback wins that season and showed me he was a gamer and could throw people open. BUT, come draft time most people looked at his inability to beat out (cleanly) Brian Griese and Drew Henson, but then again Lloyd Carr was never considered any kind of genius. Brady's stats were only so-so and he had low draft stock. Lynch had better college stats than Brady, is a bit taller, and had a fluid arm. Of course we all know which one succeeded in the NFL.
    Most public draft analysis had Lynch as a 1st rounder and as I recall the Broncos were praised more for drafting Lynch than the Chiefs were for drafting Mahomes. In fact many "experts" felt the Chiefs made a mistake because Mahomes was so raw and indisciplined.
    My point is really simple, IGNORE the expert descriptions of draft stock, college stats, and even who they beat out at the position. Watch the big game tape and see if that QB can process the information under pressure and deliver. From my eye, Haskins is pure fools gold.
    Isn't your criticism of Haskins similar to what was said about Baker Mayfield? How many anticipation or tight windows throws did he make at Oklahoma? Like Haskins he played at a superior program with superior talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop_Block View Post
    Haskins makes calls at the line of scrimmage, goes through progressions in the pocket and knows how to step into the pocket to buy time and deliver completions. That's enough difference to make the comparison to Paxton Lynch unfathomable, at least from an on-the-field standpoint. It's the front office's job to get into Haskins' mind, know how he is wired to make sure he is not like Paxton Lynch off the field, which is something we can't determine by watching YouTube.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Haskins makes calls at the line of scrimmage, goes through progressions in the pocket and knows how to step into the pocket to buy time and deliver completions. That's enough difference to make the comparison to Paxton Lynch unfathomable, at least from an on-the-field standpoint. It's the front office's job to get into Haskins' mind, know how he is wired to make sure he is not like Paxton Lynch off the field, which is something we can't determine by watching YouTube.
    Here's nice article about Haskins.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ready-play-nfl

I was only able to stay for the first half of the Rose Bowl but Haskins settles in nicely. His first few drives, idk if it was nerves or not but his ball placement was erratic. Then when he looked off the S for the TD over the middle his ball placement got much better. Those corner routes he was hitting against cover 3 are big boy NFL throws, he showed great awareness and touch on those passes. He doesnít have elite arm strength but itís still very good and he can make every throw required. OSU introduces him at 233 and he kind of looked a little flabby to me, his mobility can get better with better weight on him.

He does need to go through his progressions a bit faster and diagnose the defense a bit faster which is why Iíd like to see him go back for one more year but he will still be a very good QB. He also looked hesitant to throw on the run against Washington. He missed a wide open WRs almost every time he started to scramble in that first half.

Another note, I donít think Campbell had any drops in the game but he had about 5 when they were running their drills before the game. His hands are very shaky

Part of the reason I would never want Tua. Alabama hasn't produced a decent NFL QB since Joe Namath.

Watched the 1st qtr. of yesterdays rose bowl. Haskins didn't look like a top 10 qb. to me. He does remind me of the old Texas QB......what was his name..Vince Young I believe.