Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quarterback, Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

I don't know how reliable of a source Matt Miller is, I have seen his articles posted around the place, and Bleacher Report has gained a reasonable reputation over the past few years, especially considering what it use to be. But Miller posted an article last week saying that Haskins would return to school next year before immediately flipping on that, saying that sources reached out to him and said the following:

"Barring injury or a massive drop-off in play down the stretch, the plan is for Haskins to leave for the NFL draft after this season".
    Haskins is only a one year starter and would definitely benefit from returning to Ohio State next season, but I could see him leaving with the potential class of quarterbacks that will be coming out next year. If Haskins does continue to look as good as he has looked this season down the stretch, and he declares, he could be a nice potential option in round 1 come April.

I think how high he would go would depend on what Herbert does, but Haskins has all the makings of being an NFL pocket passer, with the only red flag for me would being that he is a one year starter. You cannot deny that Haskins looks much more experienced than he is, you cannot deny he knows where to go with the football, and he has the arm talent, accuracy, and ball placement to go along with it. I personally would love Haskins, thoughts on him as a prospect ?

The question about any QB from Urban Meyer's offense is how well his game translates to the NFL. As far as I can tell, Alex Smith has had the most success. All others not so much. We'll see how Dwayne does in the future.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Haskins' next game against Michigan will be interesting, but he looks like the type of pocket passer I'd like to have. Lives in the shotgun, but stays in the pocket, scans the field quickly and delivers the ball without running around. The running QBs get wrecked in the NFL sooner than later.

I think Trubisky's success in the NFL will help Haskins fight the prejudice against 1-year starters. He's already putting a good season of tape to be evaluated while playing the sport without getting paid. I'm in favor of these players entering the draft early if they're mature enough. Keep developing in the NFL, in an actual pro offense, and hit free agency younger to get as many contracts as you can.

Paxton Lynch was a 3-year starter at Memphis. What did he learn playing in that Memphis offense to help him in the NFL? Very little, next to nothing.

I've read that Herbert and Haskins will be the top-2 QBs if they declare, with Drew Lock also in the mix for the 1st round.

Haskins is mobile, but focuses on playing inside the pocket. I like what I've seen from him so far. He'd be a good option to have behind a veteran for one season like Alex Smith and Mahomes.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Haskins' next game against Michigan will be interesting, but he looks like the type of pocket passer I'd like to have. Lives in the shotgun, but stays in the pocket, scans the field quickly and delivers the ball without running around. The running QBs get wrecked in the NFL sooner than later.

I think Trubisky's success in the NFL will help Haskins fight the prejudice against 1-year starters. He's already putting a good season of tape to be evaluated while playing the sport without getting paid. I'm in favor of these players entering the draft early if they're mature enough. Keep developing in the NFL, in an actual pro offense, and hit free agency younger to get as many contracts as you can.

Paxton Lynch was a 3-year starter at Memphis. What did he learn playing in that Memphis offense to help him in the NFL? Very little, next to nothing.

I've read that Herbert and Haskins will be the top-2 QBs if they declare, with Drew Lock also in the mix for the 1st round.

Haskins is mobile, but focuses on playing inside the pocket. I like what I've seen from him so far. He'd be a good option to have behind a veteran for one season like Alex Smith and Mahomes.
    Unfortunately Denver isn't in a great position to get Herbert or Haskins. We currently have the 13th pick. The Jags, Bucs, Giants, and Raiders are all ahead of us and could be looking for a new QB. If we really want either of those guys we have to hope the 49ers and Cardinals hold on to the top 2 picks since neither of them will draft a QB. The cost would be very high, although maybe Elway's friendship with Lynch could make it less so.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Unfortunately Denver isn't in a great position to get Herbert or Haskins. We currently have the 13th pick. The Jags, Bucs, Giants, and Raiders are all ahead of us and could be looking for a new QB. If we really want either of those guys we have to hope the 49ers and Cardinals hold on to the top 2 picks since neither of them will draft a QB. The cost would be very high, although maybe Elway's friendship with Lynch could make it less so.
    And very worth it, at this point the cost shouldn't matter to get the future. Spend what we need to spend in free agency and give what we need to give to get the QB. Imo, it wouldn't be for Haskins but if Elway felt strongly enough about him than go get him....if it was Herbert than go get him.....if it was Grier than go get him

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    And very worth it, at this point the cost shouldn't matter to get the future. Spend what we need to spend in free agency and give what we need to give to get the QB. Imo, it wouldn't be for Haskins but if Elway felt strongly enough about him than go get him....if it was Herbert than go get him.....if it was Grier than go get him
    What don't you like about Haskins? Asking for a friend?

I think we've had enough of Elway getting his 'guy.' That seems to have failed the last few years with the picks at QB. Perhaps someone else (Kubes) should have the overall input on the QB drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    What don't you like about Haskins? Asking for a friend?
    I never said I didn't like him......Tell your friend

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The question about any QB from Urban Meyer's offense is how well his game translates to the NFL. As far as I can tell, Alex Smith has had the most success. All others not so much. We'll see how Dwayne does in the future.
    Haskins is not your prototypical Meyer QB at all, which I think is why sometimes the Buckeyes look completely lost on offense, Meyer doesnt know how to use him. Haskins is a true pocket passer with above average accuracy. He seems to have a non-chalant personality and doesn't get excited about much. As a Buckeyes fan I would love to see him in Orange and Blue, but part of me also thinks he lacks the necessary leadership skills to be a franchise QB in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Haskins is not your prototypical Meyer QB at all, which I think is why sometimes the Buckeyes look completely lost on offense, Meyer doesnt know how to use him. Haskins is a true pocket passer with above average accuracy. He seems to have a non-chalant personality and doesn't get excited about much. As a Buckeyes fan I would love to see him in Orange and Blue, but part of me also thinks he lacks the necessary leadership skills to be a franchise QB in the NFL.
    Point taken. Can you give an example when you say he doesn't have the leadership?

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Point taken. Can you give an example when you say he doesn't have the leadership?
    Are You Haskins? LoL.

Haskins could be a good QB in the NFL, I just don't see him at the top of the draft. His season really hasn't been that great and there isn't anything that screams top of the class. His size is ok, his arm strength is ok, his mobility is ok......That's pretty much my take on him, he's just ok. I wouldn't be upset if he ended up in Denver but my heart is set on Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Are You Haskins? LoL.
    Just asking a question man. No I am not. He made a statement and I was just asking for him to give and example.

Haskins could be a good QB in the NFL, I just don't see him at the top of the draft. His season really hasn't been that great and there isn't anything that screams top of the class. His size is ok, his arm strength is ok, his mobility is ok......That's pretty much my take on him, he's just ok. I wouldn't be upset if he ended up in Denver but my heart is set on Jones.
    Thanks for you points. Good take.

I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow and seeing how both QBs perform. I've only watched little pieces of each team this year, so tomorrow will be my first chance to watch everything.