Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone seen our secondary?

I know we've won two critical games in a row against good teams, but man our secondary has been terrible. Over 800 yards passing the last two games. That can't continue if we want to make the playoffs.

Rivers and Ben are no push overs

Everyone expected this team to 7-9, maybe 8-8. We were thin in the o-line and in our secondary. Considering we've been playing most of the best teams in the league, how can you complain that we haven't been playing our best on all fronts? It is a bend but don't break situation. Just take it the way it is and try and be happy the games! We're not a anything near a SB team, so no need to get bent about stats, it will take another draft/offseason or two, then you can complain if we are not playing perfect football.
    BCMB Div 1 - Rollin' with Mahomies

It's what's expected when you're starting lineup is Harris, Roby, Brock, and Yiadom. Our secondary is going to be our biggest weakness on defense, but they've also played nearly every single AFC and NFC mega-team and franchise QB short of Brady, Brees, and Rogers.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

At the end of the day all that matters is if you win or lose...we have won the last 2 games against playoff teams & should be 3 in a row over the texans.

I don't care if we give up 1,000 yards a game so as long as we win.

Steelers have a very good offensive line and Ben was getting the ball out quick, or buying time and making plays. We didnít get any pressure on Ben until late in the game. CHJ played great. Our guys caused some fumbles which made a huge difference.

I think Yiadom has potential just needs development and experience.

The defence has morphed from a complete shut them down D in 2015 to a bend but don't break D now. It would be nice to completely shut them down, but yards without points mean nothing. And the Broncos D held the Steelers O to 10 points, even with all of those yards. Not ideal but it results in the W.

I see what you are saying. They gave up a lot of yards. But they also made several huge plays:
    - the tackle on the goal line early in the game that led to the Pitt fumble into the end zone;
    - the forced fumble that we recovered; and
    - the two interceptions (including the one that won the game).
    Chris Harris also made a number of important tackles in the open field.

Overall, I thought our secondary tackled well, were physical and largely denied or heavily reduced any likely YAC.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTD View Post
    I see what you are saying. They gave up a lot of yards. But they also made several huge plays:
    - the tackle on the goal line early in the game that led to the Pitt fumble into the end zone;
    - the forced fumble that we recovered; and
    - the two interceptions (including the one that won the game).
    Chris Harris also made a number of important tackles in the open field.

Overall, I thought our secondary tackled well, were physical and largely denied or heavily reduced any likely YAC.
    If Harris didn't get that last pick Roby would have. Not sure what Roethlisberger thought he saw? But it looked to me like it was a run play and he decided on his own to pull it and try to make a play that wasn't there.

What this summarizes is that our defense philosophy is changing into that of the Steelers philosophy, ironically. Much less man, more zone, but superb red-zone defense. We've held the Chargers, Steelers, Chiefs, and Rams all to 30 points or much less.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    If Harris didn't get that last pick Roby would have. Not sure what Roethlisberger thought he saw? But it looked to me like it was a run play and he decided on his own to pull it and try to make a play that wasn't there.
    I'm sure like you that it was originally meant to be a run play. Ben appeared to panic after the bad snap and tried to improvise.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I think it was his only read and that Pittsburgh thought for sure itíd be open if they rode the fake hard enough. Ben didnít really have time to look either so I think he just tried to get the pass off where it was supposed to go.

I was shocked they didnít try to isolate Yiadom on the far side of the field against Smith-Schuster with Chris Harris lining up solely in the slot. Rookie CB forced into the game by injury and Big Ben hardly tested him, although Yiadom did pretty well when they did. Also shocked they didnít try to get Davis or Jewell isolated in man coverage against a RB or TE given how awful they are in coverage.

Also, we had our rookie corner playing against one of the league's best QB's, and that 1 play/97 yard TD doesn't help the stats.

Bottomline, you can easily see improvements on offense, defense and special teams every week. Goes to show that it takes a while for the players to gel and we were not near who we are today in week 1 with all the changes we had and new players. Things are looking up, enjoy the ride. :-)
    Last edited by haciendadad; 11-25-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    BCMB Div 1 - Rollin' with Mahomies

Yiadom stepped it up. Roby was on point, and Philly Will was poppin like a safety. Davis didnt look too bad .

Quote Originally Posted by Endaround View Post
    Yiadom stepped it up. Roby was on point, and Philly Will was poppin like a safety. Davis didnt look too bad .
    Yiadom covered really well on a 3rd and 6 to force Pittsburgh to punt. Pinned his man to the sideline without PI.