Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: We need speed

We need speed

at ILB. we are to slow. i was watching Thursday cowboys vs saints. jaylon smith and leighton vander-ecsh where flying around where great to watch. can cover can play the run. they both seem like the ideal NFL lbers. when i watch our LBers i feel they are slow. they lack speed. they don't really seem to be "flying around" making plays. they seem to be trying to more be playing gaps. we can not have every LBer just play gaps. we need to get more speed at this position. it should be obvious to any one watching this defense. there are 2 things that has happen. roby hasn't stepped into talib shoes. and harris was never as good as talib(thats why he has his been number 2 right multiple times). so we are lacking at CB and Darrian steward is losing step, but i like parks i like thomas i like carter and i am torn on cravens. so i am not worried about S. but we need ot upgrade talent at CB and add Speed at ILB and we are back to being an elite defense.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

I agree. It's been a long time since we had a true playmaker in the middle.

This has been a big issue all year. Plus it feels like our guys catch more than attack. Davis has been playing well as of late, but everyone else has been dissapointing. Some speed at the ILB would serve us very well. Perhaps we could target a guy like CJ Moseley in FA.

If a defense is going to play one-gap/spill to the sideline run defense, team speed is necessary for pursuit to the boundary.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

The Broncos have not invested heavily in the ILB position since Elway has been mostly in charge and they have been quite successful anyway - SB champions, 2 SB appearances and a run of division titles - Trevathan is probably the best ILB they have had lately and he was a mid round pick. The importance of having great ILB is not that high.
    With that said, every year I seem to be in favor of drafting an ILB early (1st or 2nd round) but they have had good defenses anyway. I really liked Vander Esch but the 5th pick was too high and the Broncos got a good player in Chubb.
    Jewell supposedly did run a 4.68 40 at his pro day but was in the 4.8s at the combine, he does need more development at this point but may have the potential to be a good, sold ILB. His measurement in the 40 would indicate that he does not lack speed.
    I am for getting Mosley in FA, if possible. He did run a 4.64 40 at his combine.
    The Cowboys did invest a lot into the ILB position, it looks like that investment may be paying off, they also have some good pass rushers now too.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    The Broncos have not invested heavily in the ILB position since Elway has been mostly in charge and they have been quite successful anyway - SB champions, 2 SB appearances and a run of division titles - Trevathan is probably the best ILB they have had lately and he was a mid round pick. The importance of having great ILB is not that high.
    With that said, every year I seem to be in favor of drafting an ILB early (1st or 2nd round) but they have had good defenses anyway. I really liked Vander Esch but the 5th pick was too high and the Broncos got a good player in Chubb.
    Jewell supposedly did run a 4.68 40 at his pro day but was in the 4.8s at the combine, he does need more development at this point but may have the potential to be a good, sold ILB. His measurement in the 40 would indicate that he does not lack speed.
    I am for getting Mosley in FA, if possible. He did run a 4.64 40 at his combine.
    The Cowboys did invest a lot into the ILB position, it looks like that investment may be paying off, they also have some good pass rushers now too.
    Even though Danny was a late round pick . He is a really good lber. I do agree he hasn't invested in a ilb high. But this may be there year need to get speed at that position

oakland raders gm

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Even though Danny was a late round pick . He is a really good lber. I do agree he hasn't invested in a ilb high. But this may be there year need to get speed at that position
    Yes, Trevathan was/is a good ILB, probably a borderline pro bowler. He wasn't necessarily a "fast/quick" player though, he only ran a 4.84 40... the 40 speed isn't everything but when you want/need speed that is the "best" way to know relatively how much speed a player has. So, considering Trevathan wasn't necessarily a speed ILB that might indicate it isn't necessarily about speed? Mosley has good speed though.
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 12-03-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Yes, Trevathan was/is a good OLB, probably a borderline pro bowler. He wasn't necessarily a "fast/quick" player though, he only ran a 4.84 40... the 40 speed isn't everything but when you want/need speed that is the "best" way to know relatively how much speed a player has. So, considering Trevathan wasn't necessarily a speed ILB that might indicate it isn't necessarily about speed? Mosley has good speed though.
    mosley does. i am in love with devin whites speed. i'd also argue that trev played alot faster then his forty. i know for a fact forty=\=play speed in most. it is an indicator. but he was quick and fast enough with pads.

oakland raders gm

I think we will address this area in FA. Look for us to go after Jordan Hicks, possibly KJ Wright if Seattle continues to jettison players. Anthony Barr if he hits would be a solid option too

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I think we will address this area in FA. Look for us to go after Jordan Hicks, possibly KJ Wright if Seattle continues to jettison players. Anthony Barr if he hits would be a solid option too
    Anthony Barr has dispointed in coverage as of recent, we need a LB who can cover. i feel Barr would be a huge mistake.

oakland raders gm

We are gonna draft Mack Wilson and everything is going to be just fine. Davis has been playing better, Jewell is going to be alright. Jones kid played ok, so once we draft Mack we are laughing.

Going to a proper defensive set with 3 actual linebackers and adding speed would be a massive upgrade.

Todd Davis can play, he has earned his keep this season, and hopefully with another off-season he again improve going into next year. Brandon Marshall is done, he will be one of the first out the door when the off-season rolls around, and Josey Jewell looks about as I expected. He is a backup linebacker who will earn his keep as a special teamer in the NFL, but he isn't a play making starter on the inside. I haven't done any of my own research on the inside linebackers coming out this year, but based on what I am reading it seems to be a stronger class than we have seen in a long time ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Todd Davis can play, he has earned his keep this season, and hopefully with another off-season he again improve going into next year. Brandon Marshall is done, he will be one of the first out the door when the off-season rolls around, and Josey Jewell looks about as I expected. He is a backup linebacker who will earn his keep as a special teamer in the NFL, but he isn't a play making starter on the inside. I haven't done any of my own research on the inside linebackers coming out this year, but based on what I am reading it seems to be a stronger class than we have seen in a long time ?
    Devin White in The first round. or Mack Wilson in the first and TJ Edwards in the 3rd. i think we have much strong ILB room

oakland raders gm

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Devin White in The first round. or Mack Wilson in the first and TJ Edwards in the 3rd. i think we have much strong ILB room
    I don't know if I would double dip at linebacker within the top 120 or so picks. We have holes all along the offensive line, we have no depth at cornerback, quarterback is an issue, and I wouldn't be opposed to moving up to go after Haskins potentially. Inside linebacker is a big need but we have a lot of holes. Also, I will be disappointed if we don't leave the draft with a defensive lineman, this class is deep into the 4th and 5th rounds at that position.