Analytics reveal its time to make DL Shelby Harris a starter

Analytics reveal its time to make DL Shelby Harris a starter

The Denver Broncos hit the defensive lottery when they signed Shelby Harris to a reserve/futures contract in January of 2017. Harris was three years removed from entering the NFL as a seventh-round pick of the Raiders when Denver scooped him up.

Between Oakland and Denver, Harris had a brief stint with the Jets and Cowboys, respectively, both of whom are likely kicking themselves for letting him go. Back in Oakland, he endured all of the frustrating vagaries of being a bubble-player.

...Whatís particularly impressive about Harris, again, is the fact that heís producing at an elite level as a backup player on a snap-by-snap basis. Per Pro Football Focus, heís been the sixth-best defensive lineman in the NFL this year, with an elite 90.7 overall grade. The Broncos need to get Harris more playing time, even if it comes at the expense of guys like Domata Peko and/or Derek Wolfe.

Finishing with 1.5 sacks and two combined tackles in Cincy, Harris was a game-wrecker on the Broncosí D-line even before Wolfe went down. Watch Harris absolutely abuse Bengalsí center Billy Price on this second-quarter play in which the big trenchman was able to take down Jeff Driskel.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-bro...ine-125904463/complete article and video

I agree. He needs to be extended. Peko is getting old.

Harris can be our Malik Jackson.

Iíve been meaning to make a thread about Harris ever since last week when PFF gave him the grade of 90.7 amongst NFL interior linemen.

I wonít say heís on Aaron Donaldís level because nobody at that position is not even JJ Watt but Shelby Harris is up there in the Calais Campbell, Geno Atkins territory.

I love Peko and it is hard to go against him because heís always kicking ass in run defense however I do agree that we need to get Harris on the field more.

On the play where he sacked Driskel he lined up between Wolfe and Gotsis. Great strategy and I am satisfied with Gotsis so far however Iíd like to see more speed out of him but Harris and Gotsis with perhaps Walker in for Wolfe just might be the inside force we need that could be reminiscent of 2015. Especially now that CHJ is out.

Shelby Harris is a DE.

What ever happened to Vance Walker? I know he got hurt right before the 2016 season but why didn't we bring him back? Thought he was going to be Malik Jackson's replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Dotst View Post
    What ever happened to Vance Walker? I know he got hurt right before the 2016 season but why didn't we bring him back? Thought he was going to be Malik Jackson's replacement
    Tore his acl and never signed with anyone after we released him, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    Shelby Harris is a DE.
    He's been lining up mostly as a 0/1 tech, and he's listed on Denver's roster and depth chart as a NT.
    Last edited by samparnell; 12-05-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I agree 100% Shelby should be our Starter !

Shelby seems to be a versatile DL and has made an impact many times. The Broncos can secure him again as a RFA this next season but I think they need to offer him a 3-4 year contract so he doesn't look to go elsewhere when he is an UFA. Potentially, he can play in place of Wolfe if they decide to move on from Wolfe which could save cap space. Also they need to make Demarcus Walker step up next season and be active/contributing weekly, he has the potential to make an impact as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Shelby seems to be a versatile DL and has made an impact many times. The Broncos can secure him again as a RFA this next season but I think they need to offer him a 3-4 year contract so he doesn't look to go elsewhere when he is an UFA. Potentially, he can play in place of Wolfe if they decide to move on from Wolfe which could save cap space. Also they need to make Demarcus Walker step up next season and be active/contributing weekly, he has the potential to make an impact as well.
    If Elway has learned anything from the way he played the Malik Jackson contract negotiations, he should be thinking of doing what you have outlined here. Offer Harris a long-term contract this off-season with solid money in order to lock him up. Don't give him the opportunity next season to develop further and put himself in a position where he could potentially go into the open market and get a massive contract. Also, Wolfe will be gone, he is injury prone, declining severely, and making way too much money, move some of that money to a contract for Harris. Zach Kerr is playing great in the rotation too and upgrades the run defense whenever he is in the game, extending him for 2 more years would be a good idea as well.

Why was my thread edited and moved here?

How is this thread any different than the thread about the article of Lindsey on the front page?

Agreed. I said that during the offseason. Harris may be the best Dlineman we have. Definitely top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by speardog View Post
    Why was my thread edited and moved here?

How is this thread any different than the thread about the article of Lindsey on the front page?
    Pretty simple, your post is a news article and this is the news forum. See here for more information.