Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Keenum under pressure on Saturday: 4-of-14 passing for 30 yards 2 INTs 2 Sacks Passer rating = 0.0

Ouch
    Keenum is looking like a worse signing than Oz when he signed with the Texans.

We would have been better off keeping Lynch and playing him all season. That allows us to keep the secondary strong with Talib, and sign another quality FA or two.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    We would have been better off keeping Lynch and playing him all season.
    The situation with Paxton Lynch was tough to manage because of his lack of work ethic and poor performance in the offseason. It is normal to insert a 1st-round QB as the starter and preach patience during the growing pains, but you'd at least expect the QB to act like a professional and earn respect by spending the extra time working on his craft.

When a young 1st-round QB throws for 0 TD, 2 INT and loses a game, but is the first in, last out of the facility, it is easier to manage the locker room and keep the players believing in the upside not far down the road. However, when a Broncos player says he had never seen a player so happy to leave after practice, and several media members report that the Broncos were not able to make Lynch stay and grind the extra hours to improve his game, it's very hard to sell this QB as an automatic starter to the locker room.

Besides, Lynch was horrible in the preseason. He did not look like a young QB with upside, he looked like he did not belong in the NFL, which is his current status. Lynch got worse each preseason. He did not know the vanilla part of the playbook to execute the offense against vanilla calls on defense. Even the young QBs that have growing pains during the season can look promising during preseason games.

It is normal to insert a 1st-round QB as the starter and tell the team to hang on, but it's not normal to have this 1st-round QB that does not have any drive and fire to show his worth and earn the respect of the locker room. These recent 1st-round QBs, most of them easily, are hard workers and fiery competitors showing positive signs early or playing at a high level right away.

The lazy, worthless "JaMarcus Russell" QBs taken in the 1st round seem to be a minority or even a rarity these days. Unfortunately, we got one in the same draft that produced Goff and Wentz, and one year before Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by SMR81 View Post
    Ouch
    Keenum is looking like a worse signing than Oz when he signed with the Texans.

We would have been better off keeping Lynch and playing him all season. That allows us to keep the secondary strong with Talib, and sign another quality FA or two.
    I don't know about Lynch, but I'd rather have had Siemian and Talib and the extra cap space than Keenum.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    how did winning 1 game more than last year drop us all the way to 14? Geez. Strength of schedule really screwed us this year.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    His new contract just started, no reason to panic, hit a home run on the coach and then start building up that defence. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go with a strong defensive minded HC, and then bring in someone like Adam Game (if he's fired) and give him full control of the offence.
    The Packers knew that it was going to be either McCarthy or Rodgers that was going to go by next season, and they opted for the QB. Seeing that choice made, I imagine now that he'll have a bigger input as to how the offense can run, much like Peyton could in Denver. The Packers aren't in any trouble, I think really Rodgers just needs time to get completely healthy again.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBrennan89 View Post
    Ryan Tannehill would be a good stop gap. Or even Alex Smith (Pending he returns okay from his injury).
    I was thinking of Tannehill, but he's still on contract for another 2 years. Seeing as how he's playing fairly well, I don't know if the Dolphins move on from him. I say we cut Case, sign Bridgewater to a 10 million dollar deal, and draft Grier or Haskins, and let Bridgewater play until the drafted QB is ready.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    how did winning 1 game more than last year drop us all the way to 14? Geez. Strength of schedule really screwed us this year.
    Itís sort of cruel, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBrennan89 View Post
    Ryan Tannehill would be a good stop gap. Or even Alex Smith (Pending he returns okay from his injury).
    He suffered an infection after surgery and it was speculated that he might never play again because of it. Hopefully that was just overreaction by the media and he does get back on the field next year, him leaving the hospital in recent days hopefully indicates that.

But even if he could play, the Skins are pretty much married to him. It's his second year of his new contract, and it's fully guaranteed. And if he's on the roster for the 5th day of the league year (the Skins won't be able to move him or cut him due to his injury) his 2020 salary becomes fully guaranteed too.

He suffered an infection after surgery and it was speculated that he might never play again because of it. Hopefully that was just overreaction by the media and he does get back on the field next year, him leaving the hospital in recent days hopefully indicates that.

But even if he could play, the Skins are pretty much married to him. It's his second year of his new contract, and it's fully guaranteed. And if he's on the roster for the 5th day of the league year (the Skins won't be able to move him or cut him due to his injury) his 2020 salary becomes fully guaranteed too.
    I think it was overreaction. Infections that are severe need constant monitoring and samples taken to determine cell count, hence extended stays and longer recoveries in the hospital. Smith being released this early tells me it's under control now, though the road through physical therapy is something else entirely.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Chad Kelly is looking mighty good about now. Something tells me that were he still on the team that he would be playing now. It would be awfully nice to be in a position to pick up a solid O-lineman or cornerback than to have to worry about QB again.

One could also argue the Vikings are in as bad of a position as the Broncos. Because the Broncos can walk away from Keenum and save a bunch of money. The Vikings can't walk away from that contract without paying every dollar, and the team is worse than last year. You give the QB the contract to come in and push you over the top and he plays like a guy accumulating stats, that's a real problem.
    The Vikings problems don't lie with Cousins. Their defense went from best in the league to really good but not great. They also faced a murderous schedule this year compared to last year's cream puff schedule. In fact one could argue that had the Bears not grown into a winner this year, the Vikes would have won that division again. Cousins is definitely better than Case although that contract he got from the vikings was really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by CheyennePress View Post
    Chad Kelly is looking mighty good about now. Something tells me that were he still on the team that he would be playing now. It would be awfully nice to be in a position to pick up a solid O-lineman or cornerback than to have to worry about QB again.
    I think he would be, and it wouldnít take much for him to outplay Keenum. Iím sure heíd have his struggles with turnovers, but heíd also give our guys a chance downfield.

I get why they had to release him, and from the beginning I always thought there was a good chance heíd get himself in trouble again. But man, had they found a way to work around a release we would have had a shot at a starter for the next few years. Obviously we would have had to see him play against starters first, but Iím almost positive he would have outplayed Keenum.

Cheap QB who can be aggressive and operate the O, Lindsay, Sander + Sutton, Chubb + Von, CHJ....we have the cap space to build a decent team around that core. Especially if we could have carried over our magical draft into next years draft.

Quote Originally Posted by CheyennePress View Post
    That might be the most disappointing part of this year is we never got a chance to see Kelly play. Yes, he's an idiot, and they were probably right to cut him, but it would be nice to at least have some hope at the QB position.

The one saving grace of a season where a team is eliminated from the playoffs prior to week 17, is they get to play a young QB.

Remember Tebow got his first start in 2010 when the team was in a similar situation. Another example is Patrick Mahomes who had his first start in a meaningless game last year (yes the Chiefs were in the playoffs, but it was still a meaningless game).

Though I doubt this coaching staff would've started him anyway in these last 2 games, they don't seem to have the nerves to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    JaMarcus Russell

J.P. Losman picked at #22 might be a better comparison since Lynch was #26.
    I get it with Russell as he was a number 1 overall but he did start 25 games in the NFL and lasted 3 seasons. Lynch started just 4 games and lasted just 2. Both QBs were first round busts for sure. As far as Losman he lasted 7 years and started 43 games. He was a bust as well, but definitely better than Lynch.