• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich_C
    Captain
    • Aug 2012

Vance Joseph: Case Keenum 'has to make more plays'

So I came across this:

Denver Broncos head coach Vance Joseph wants more out of his quarterback Case Keenum with the team still alive for a playoff berth. Joseph said the veteran QB needs to make more plays.

The Denver Broncos' stunning defeat to the San Francisco 49ers in Week 14 proved to be a game of missed opportunities.

The first blown chance is obvious, as the loss prevented a playoff-hopeful Denver (6-7) from gaining ground in the chase for a wild-card spot. The second area surrounded quarterback Case Keenum's inability to connect deep against the 49ers in a game the Broncos absolutely needed.

After reviewing the film of the game, Broncos head coach Vance Joseph wants more out of his quarterback with the team still mathematically alive for a playoff berth.

"(Keenum) was a little cautious with the ball," Joseph said Monday, via Ryan O'Halloran of The Denver Post. "The bottom line, we have three weeks left to play. He has to make more plays."

On the game, Keenum connected on 24 of 42 passes for 186 yards and a touchdown, averaging 4.4 yards per completion, and extended his streak of games without an interception to five.

The flip side, however, surrounds the Broncos' signal-caller only having five touchdowns through the air and he failed to top 200 yards passing three times in that span, including Week 13.

"In my opinion, being safe with the ball sometimes allows you to have great numbers in that category (turnovers), but as far as making plays down the field, you can't be safe doing that," Joseph said. "He's got to take more chances down the middle of the field and he will tell you that."

Still, the Broncos might very well look back at Week 13 should the team be eliminated from postseason consideration in the coming weeks.

Denver set up nicely in the final four matchups, as they faced a three-game stretch against opponents with sub-.500 records (49ers, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders) before the season-finale against the Los Angeles Chargers.

"Obviously, we have to win out," Joseph said. "It's a must-win game on Saturday. It's going to be a must-win game for the next three weeks. We understand that ... We haven't talked about it, but it's been that way the last month-and-a-half."

Given the current playoff picture in the AFC, the Broncos likely need to go 3-0 the rest of the way, and then hope for outside help to gain ground.

But if Keenum heeds the words of his head coach, the quarterback will change gears from game-management mode to airing it out with hopes of putting the Broncos in better position to secure much-needed wins.

This nonsense from VJ calling out players in the media needs to stop. IMO this is starting to get unprofessional and is starting to come off and a petty attemot to shift blame away from himself.

A few takeaways I noted in the SF game:

1. Case was pressured a TON and the line did not hold up at all.
    2. Our run game failed- not just a little and not just by a little it was AWFUL. I believe that is in large part because of #1 above. If pressure is had then RBs will get tackled in the backfield before they can obtain enough information to make the right decisions on where and how to run.
    3. In-game adjustments - where were they? (no VJ half-time adjustments DO NOT COUNT. They are expected.)
    4. How did we not mix up blitzes and rushes on the QB?
    5. Why did we only dress Von, Ray & Chubb as outside rushers?
    6. As a former DC I expect more from our defensive play calling and game-plan. Under no circumstances should a 3rd string be able to keep his TE safety blanket as a target past the 1st 10 scripted plays....

See the vast majority of these are all on the HC to ensure get corrected and addressed. IMO - Vj needs to first correct these "in the mirror issues" first before he ever starts to call out players. Especially since your at 5-11 for year one and you've had a losing record for the majority of this season as well in your two year history as a HC.

thoughts?
  • maaskesr
    Bench Warmer
    • Oct 2005

I haven't seen the tapes but I'm guessing our rookie WR's weren't as open as Case is used to. He looked panicked in the pocket because he didn't know where to go with the ball.

Maybe the tape shows Sutton with a bunch of 1 on 1's deep, though.

Comment

• swinginhorseman
      Special Teams
      • Sep 2010

I don't understand why VJ is mad. This is Case. He has been the same type of player his whole career. His stats this year is some of his best numbers he has ever put up. That's what scary..

Comment

• -Rod-
        #TeamBroncos
        • Mar 2008

I agree with Vance Joseph here. Keenum was abysmal against the 49ers. Receivers and TEs were open, but Keenum does not make full reads, only likes to read half the field, and was scared to give his targets a chance. He missed Sutton twice in the endzone, throwing the ball out of reach. Give the WR a chance. Keemum played too conservative, too scared. It's almost like you have to run a college offense with him, cutting the field in half, maybe more zone-read plays, because he struggles when asked to be a west-coast QB making full reads of the field.

The bottom line is that we have a garbage starting QB and there must be a change in the offseason.
        sigpic

Comment

• Papa-pwn
          Captain
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
          I agree with Vance Joseph here. Keenum was abysmal against the 49ers. Receivers and TEs were open, but Keenum does not make full reads, only likes to read half the field, and was scared to give his targets a chance. He missed Sutton twice in the endzone, throwing the ball out of reach. Give the WR a chance. Keemum played too conservative, too scared. It's almost like you have to run a college offense with him, cutting the field in half, maybe more zone-read plays, because he struggles when asked to be a west-coast QB making full reads of the field.

The bottom line is that we have a garbage starting QB and there must be a change in the offseason.
          Absolutely. If anything, I'm upset he hasn't been calling Case out weekly.

Comment

• L.M.
            Vitalstatistix
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by maaskesr View Post
            I haven't seen the tapes but I'm guessing our rookie WR's weren't as open as Case is used to. He looked panicked in the pocket because he didn't know where to go with the ball.

He's struggled in the pocket most of this year. He doesn't have good visibility or awareness there.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Rastic
              Modulated
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post

The line did not help a number of times but on this VJ is right. Keenum often threw uncatchable passes and either didn't go through his reads or just didn't see wide open receivers at times.

Comment

• Rich_C
                Captain
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by maaskesr View Post

The odd thing is that in many of the TV reel replays they showed that the niners covered our WRs VERY well. So from what I could tell we simply didn't use enough scheme variance or play calling variance to get our guys in spots where we could win. Also because we were so poor in our run game because the niners won the trenches on the offensive side of the ball we were VERY one dimensional. It wasn't until mid-way through the third quarter where we finally used Royce who was able to ge ta few yards on the ground.

again I see these as all coaching issues

Comment

• Rich_C
                  Captain
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                  He's struggled in the pocket most of this year. He doesn't have good visibility or awareness there.
                  I do not disagree with that AT ALL. My issue with this is that there were so many coaching issues in that game that I simply cannot look to Case and say - "dude buck-up and do your job. YOU are why we lost". IMO - that is what public call-outs indicate.

Comment

• rst08tierney
                    VISIONS OF CONFETTI
                    • Nov 2006

Flacco needs to be a target

Comment

• Mosk
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2012

As he should. Keenum hasn’t proved his worth at all. At first, I was optimistic about Keenum and thought he could lead our team. Like Rod mentioned above, to even put it nicely, he’s been garbage.

In a passing league that favors passing attacks, Keenum is 16th in the league in passing yards with 3,139 yards. Dak is 17th with 3,131 yards, with 35 less attempts and a 6.4% higher completion percentage. Wentz is 18th with 3,074 yards, with 52 less attempts with a 7.8% higher completion percentage, in 2 less games.

To compare among the league, excluding the rookies, Keenum’s 61.8% completion percentage is only better than Joe Flacco’s 61.2% and Blake Bortles’ 60.4%.

Out of the quarterbacks ranked 16-30 in terms of passing yards, Keenum has from 35-207 more attempts than those. In that same bunch, only Flacco’s 42.1 pass attempts per game and Wentz’ 36.5 pass attempts per game has been more than Keenum’s 34.8 pass attempts per game.

Keenum has more pass attempts per game than Rivers (31.5), Brees (31.9), Watson (30.9), and Newton (34.0). That’s just unacceptable and far too many attempts per game for a below average quarterback.

Keenum has a 84.3 QB rating. No QB ranked 1-15 (in terms of passing yards) has a lower QB rating lower than 89.3. Out of the QBs ranked 16-30 (in terms of passing yards) only Flacco’s 84.2, Bortles’ 81.9, and rookies (Darnold 69.5; Rosen 68.3) rank worse. Keenum’s total QB rating of 47.6 is fifth worst in the league. Only Tannehill’s 47.3, Bortles’ 46.8, Darnold’s 33.9, and Rosen’s 31.1 rank worse.

As compared to last year, Keenum’s advanced numbers are down (and some cases up) from last year. His completion percentage is down 5.8% (67.6% to 61.8%). His TD% is down 1.3% (4.6% to 3.3%). His INT% is up 0.7% (1.5% to 2.2%). His sack rate is up 1.8% (4.4% to 6.2%). His QB rating is down 14% (98.3% to 84.3%). His total QB rating is down 26.7% (74.3% to 47.6%).

Keenum has three 300-yard passing games this year. Keenum has five games where he threw for less than 200 yards.

Keenum stinks.
                      Last edited by Mosk; 12-12-2018, 11:20 AM.
                      2016 Adopt-A-Bronco: CB-Chris Harris Jr.

Comment

• champ&dreallday
                        Playmaker
                        • Sep 2007

This needed to come weeks ago. 13 weeks in, can someone give me a great game from Case, just one.....3 Tds and a late win vs Seattle early in the season was okay, but he also threw 3 INTs and 2 of them were horrible. Vs the worst defense we played against, Arizona, he didn't even crack 200 yards and had one TD. He just doesn't make plays. The defense is banged up seriously now, but over the last 3 years the offense and specifically the QB has held the team back. And it take 13 weeks to point it out? One of the main things about Vance that frustrates me is him constantly saying things need to get better/things have to change but as a head coach, he seems to do nothing to make that happen.

He's said the coordinators come up with the game plans, but he approves them. I'm just confused on the disconnect or why he isn't making adjustments on the field in real time.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                          Banned User
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                          The odd thing is that in many of the TV reel replays they showed that the niners covered our WRs VERY well. So from what I could tell we simply didn't use enough scheme variance or play calling variance to get our guys in spots where we could win. Also because we were so poor in our run game because the niners won the trenches on the offensive side of the ball we were VERY one dimensional. It wasn't until mid-way through the third quarter where we finally used Royce who was able to ge ta few yards on the ground.

again I see these as all coaching issues
                          Everything you’ve mentioned are on going issues week in and week out, I’m beginning to believe that Musgrave just doesn’t know how to scheme or be creative.

He doesn’t adjust well nor does he understand what suits his QBs strengths.

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                            Captain
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Mosk View Post
                            As he should. Keenum hasn’t proved his worth at all. At first, I was optimistic about Keenum and thought he could lead our team. Like Rod mentioned above, to even put it nicely, he’s been garbage.

In a passing league that favors passing attacks, Keenum is 16th in the league in passing yards with 3,139 yards. Dak is 17th with 3,131 yards, with 35 less attempts and a 6.4% higher completion percentage. Wentz is 18th with 3,074 yards, with 52 less attempts with a 7.8% higher completion percentage, in 2 less games.

To compare among the league, excluding the rookies, Keenum’s 61.8% completion percentage is only better than Joe Flacco’s 61.2% and Blake Bortles’ 60.4%.

Out of the quarterbacks ranked 16-30 in terms of passing yards, Keenum has from 35-207 more attempts than those. In that same bunch, only Flacco’s 42.1 pass attempts per game and Wentz’ 36.5 pass attempts per game has been more than Keenum’s 34.8 pass attempts per game.

Keenum has more pass attempts per game than Rivers (31.5), Brees (31.9), Watson (30.9), and Newton (34.0). That’s just unacceptable and far too many attempts per game for a below average quarterback.

Keenum has a 84.3 QB rating. No QB ranked 1-15 (in terms of passing yards) has a lower QB rating lower than 89.3. Out of the QBs ranked 16-30 (in terms of passing yards) only Flacco’s 84.2, Bortles’ 81.9, and rookies (Darnold 69.5; Rosen 68.3) rank worse. Keenum’s total QB rating of 47.6 is fifth worst in the league. Only Tannehill’s 47.3, Bortles’ 46.8, Darnold’s 33.9, and Rosen’s 31.1 rank worse.

As compared to last year, Keenum’s advanced numbers are down (and some cases up) from last year. His completion percentage is down 5.8% (67.6% to 61.8%). His TD% is down 1.3% (4.6% to 3.3%). His INT% is up 0.7% (1.5% to 2.2%). His sack rate is up 1.8% (4.4% to 6.2%). His QB rating is down 14% (98.3% to 84.3%). His total QB rating is down 26.7% (74.3% to 47.6%).

Keenum has three 300-yard passing games this year. Keenum has five games where he threw for less than 200 yards.

Keenum stinks.
                            Great post and thank you for laying out those numbers.

I think Keenum is a good guy, but his ceiling is clearly backup quality. We desperately need an upgrade.

Comment

• shadowlands
                              Practice Squad
                              • Sep 2013

Can we forgive Kelly and bring him back?
                              Former Colorado resident, stuck in Texas. Broncos fan since 1987

Comment

Working...
                              X