Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I hope he isn't coming here thinking he will be a starter. Being good in the CFL doesn't translate to being good in the NFL. There are approximately 2,000 rostered players in the NFL and they are the top 2,000 football players on this continent. So the CFL has the rejects and guys not talented enough to make NFL rosters, the 2,000 and up best players on this continent. Mitchell has had an impressive career up North, but I seriously doubt and seriously hope Elway isn't considering him as a starter and why would Mitchell want to leave to be a 3rd string QB? He's gonna sign where he thinks he has a chance to start, hopefully thats not here. But if he's ok being a #3 and competing for a #2 job I'm ok with that, dude has got some skills!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    I hope he isn't coming here thinking he will be a starter. Being good in the CFL doesn't translate to being good in the NFL. There are approximately 2,000 rostered players in the NFL and they are the top 2,000 football players on this continent. So the CFL has the rejects and guys not talented enough to make NFL rosters, the 2,000 and up best players on this continent. Mitchell has had an impressive career up North, but I seriously doubt and seriously hope Elway isn't considering him as a starter and why would Mitchell want to leave to be a 3rd string QB? He's gonna sign where he thinks he has a chance to start, hopefully thats not here. But if he's ok being a #3 and competing for a #2 job I'm ok with that, dude has got some skills!
    From his perspective, why shouldn't he think of the Broncos as an opportunity to start? It's not like Denver has a bunch of options that are better than him. He'd be the best QB on the roster right now. The same could be said for Jacksonville. BUT that's not me saying I think he should be the starter here, or that Denver should sign him and then it's fixed. They should sign him and draft a QB and if Mitchell earns the right to start so be it.

Jeff Garcia is really the similarity for him, both were stars in Calgary, both looking to move on to the NFL and see if their game translates, Garcia signed as a backup behind Steve Young and ended up starting 10 games in his first year. And then was a full time NFL starter for 3 years and then bounced around the league starting games for various teams.

Frank Tripucka, Joe Kapp, Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia, et al.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

That’s 2000 rostered players but there’s no where near that many QB,s infront of him.

On average there are 96 others QBs ahead of him but some of those guys are named Mark Sanchez, Case Keenum, PAXTON LYNCH! Sadly those guys are or we’re Denver Broncos...
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 01-31-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Why not? Its not exactly like we are currently loaded with talent in front of him. Keenum is it, and if I'm Elway I'm looking at other options so I can cut him and have $11,000,000 to use on other players. Past that what ? If we draft a rookie we will probably sit him for a time period to learn so the door is still open to become the starter and have a chance to prove yourself at least for a couple of games. I would think his goal is probably to just get a chance to get in there and show his stuff and prove he can. IMHO we are a very good option for that. Looking at his tape, he very well might be better than any qb's on our current roster. Not saying he will or won't. But If I am him and I am looking for a chance to start, I'd say we are front runners in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Why not? Its not exactly like we are currently loaded with talent in front of him. Keenum is it, and if I'm Elway I'm looking at other options so I can cut him and have $11,000,000 to use on other players. Past that what ? If we draft a rookie we will probably sit him for a time period to learn so the door is still open to become the starter and have a chance to prove yourself at least for a couple of games. I would think his goal is probably to just get a chance to get in there and show his stuff and prove he can. IMHO we are a very good option for that. Looking at his tape, he very well might be better than any qb's on our current roster. Not saying he will or won't. But If I am him and I am looking for a chance to start, I'd say we are front runners in that category.
    If the Broncos cut Keenum, they WILL take a $10 million dollar Cap Hit. Since his Contract is for $21 million, then we won't be responsible for paying $11 million. But considering the HUGE Cap Hit, I don't count that as savings. If they Trade Keenum, the Cap Hit goes down to $3 million. So, actually, it would be in the Broncos interest to pay part of Keenum's Contract just to get another team to take him off our hands.

https://overthecap.com/player/case-keenum/1651/
    Last edited by gtown53; 02-01-2019 at 01:02 PM.

In terms of highlight videos, what I seen of Mitchell was rather underwhelming. I don't know anything about him beyond that, but he seems like a decent camp arm and a potential practice squad candidate to compete with Hogan, the move doesn't really excite me what so ever.

I think its a no-brainer for the Broncos to try and sign him. He can be offered a chance to compete for the starting job ... why not, its not like Keenum is too good to have some competition.
    Considering the CFL has a salary cap of less than 6M it should be very appealing to him to accept a contract of around 3M a year, maybe a couple of million at signing. That would be insignificant to the cap. If he became at least a reliable starter, the Broncos would have a cheap starter for a few years, depending on how long the non-guaranteed contract was for, allowing money to boost the rest of the team.
    Still draft a QB too, depending on who is available. It does seem that the Broncos or Jags have the most opportunity to offer him. I dont see the downside.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I think its a no-brainer for the Broncos to try and sign him. He can be offered a chance to compete for the starting job ... why not, its not like Keenum is too good to have some competition.
    Considering the CFL has a salary cap of less than 6M it should be very appealing to him to accept a contract of around 3M a year, maybe a couple of million at signing. That would be insignificant to the cap. If he became at least a reliable starter, the Broncos would have a cheap starter for a few years, depending on how long the non-guaranteed contract was for, allowing money to boost the rest of the team.
    Still draft a QB too, depending on who is available. It does seem that the Broncos or Jags have the most opportunity to offer him. I dont see the downside.
    Agreed, I see zero downside... honestly what could it hurt? It's a win win in my opinion

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

If Mitchell is signed, Keenum will need to go in order for him to see any meaningful playing time. Depending on how the draft situation works out, he may start the season or he may be immediately named the backup if the drafted QB is the de-facto starter.

Chances are the backup will be starting a game anyways at a certain point in the season. I would hope we get him if for nothing else to cut Keenum and save $10 million. Mitchell shouldn't cost more than 5 million, so it's only money saved by signing him and getting rid of Keenum.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

At least with Keenum we know what we have. He is a serviceable stop gap. We MUST draft a QB with our first pick, even if we have to move up to secure one. I am all for adding Mitchell but only to replace Kevin Hogan and eventually Case Keenum after this year, to back up whoever we draft.

At least with Keenum we know what we have. He is a serviceable stop gap. We MUST draft a QB with our first pick, even if we have to move up to secure one. I am all for adding Mitchell but only to replace Kevin Hogan and eventually Case Keenum after this year, to back up whoever we draft.
    Is anyone suggesting Mitchell would be instead of a pick and the unquestioned starter? Knowing what Keenum is (a bad QB) isn't a good reason to keep him as the QB. Draft a QB, sign Mitchell, keep Keenum and let them decide who plays where based on how they do in the offseason.

No. They don't.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    No. They don't.
    What needs to happen with that pick?