Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CJ Mosley

Quote Originally Posted by jc13 View Post
    Elway does seem kind of cheap when it comes to inside linebackers.

Fangio has had a first round talent at LB everywhere heís gone though. So Iím intrigued what theyíll do there if heís the guy.
    You can only spend so much money on your linebacker group. Elway has only had two top 10 picks and both of them have been OLBís. He also gave Brandon a hefty contract and it didnít pan out.
    Saying he doesnít value ILB isnít fair. Saying he values Von Miller over Danny Trevaithan is fair.

If Mosley doesn't decide to stay and give Baltimore a hometown discount, IMO, he needs to be Elways #1 free agent defensive target and I think with the addition of a stud defensive coach that should entice him.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

I am completely on board the CJM train! Strength up the middle!!

But wait, we could get a 2 for 1 deal with Manti T'eoÖ.

Sorry....couldn't help myself. Truth is I really felt for the young man, and am glad he is still in the league.

Heck, I talk to myself all the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I am completely on board the CJM train! Strength up the middle!!

But wait, we could get a 2 for 1 deal with Manti T'eo….

Sorry....couldn't help myself. Truth is I really felt for the young man, and am glad he is still in the league.

Heck, I talk to myself all the time!!!
    I wouldn't complain about Te'o honestly.

Draft Devin White sign KJ Wright. Miller, Wright, White and Chubb is one hell of a linebacker combination

Quote Originally Posted by kona bronco View Post
    Draft Devin White sign KJ Wright. Miller, Wright, White and Chubb is one hell of a linebacker combination
    I think those of us who want to draft a QB early are looking at a player like Mosley in FA, thereby allowing us to do both.

I think those of us who want to draft a QB early are looking at a player like Mosley in FA, thereby allowing us to do both.
    Bingo,

No quarterback worthy in this draft....build the support and get a quarterback next year

Quote Originally Posted by kona bronco View Post
    No quarterback worthy in this draft....build the support and get a quarterback next year
    And then next year when we aren't in position to get one of the best next year...we'll just wait until 2021....and so and so on. At what point do we just take a QB? I'm so tired of this whole no QB worthy thing, this group is every bit as good as last years group

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    And then next year when we aren't in position to get one of the best next year...we'll just wait until 2021....and so and so on. At what point do we just take a QB? I'm so tired of this whole no QB worthy thing, this group is every bit as good as last years group
    Agreed 100%

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Agreed 100%
    Right because you're estatic with a Paxton Lynch type of reach....

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Agreed 100%
    Ditto!!

I will confess that I do not know everything about this year's batch, but here's what I do know:

1) These young men develop as we speak, and from now to the actual draft, I can almost guarantee that at least one, maybe two or three of the QBs, whether high up or lower down, will move up the draft boards for the right reasons. And then these same folks will be daily discussion, so much so, that more teams will probably get interested. Not saying they will draft a QB, but there is nothing like seeing a good young QB today, than a potentially good QB tomorrow.

2) But if you wait, you likely make other moves that may mess up the overall plan. So Instead of making that QB move, do you try to upgrade your team right out of a good draft spot the following year? Hey, we all want to win during the season, and that's sports, but short term gains might hurt you if you think you are in line for the top 2 or 3 QBs the following year. I am definitely not saying that you should tank (that's being discussed elsewhere), but I am saying that IF YOU NEED A QB, do not expect future crops to be a gimme for the taking. Each year a number of teams make that realization.

Now, if you're a decent team, which we are, and you like the path you are in, and can wait for a QB....so be it. You check out FA and The Draft every year and see what works. But yes we are decent, however I believe we need a QB to get us over the hump. Why wait if a good young player is there for us? You should never expect to go far with some great parts, but no QB. That ship has sailed. Our last SB was great....but unlikely. If not that D we do not even get close. Ds like that, and superman achievements like what Von did, are not the norm.

3) This is not a specific separate point, because it overlaps with #1, but just to make it very clear: at least one of the QBs in this draft will be rated much higher come draft day. Think of Mayfield. Where was he on the lists a year ago? And in the end, not only did he go #1, many believe he will be a quality starter for his entire career. And then think of the Russ Wilson's, and dare I say, the Brady's, who were not rounder oner's by any means. And then add the QBs that were expected to be good, but excelled at the NFL level...like Mahomes so far. Conversely, many will not rise, nor excel, nor even become starters. I understand that part. But that's why you make sure you employ complete dude diligence in the process. Fall in love with a guy, or keep him off your board, but do it because of fact, not emotion.

So yes...why not his year? And maybe we will not have to use much capital to land a guy we feel good about. That would be a plus, because some teams have depleted their draft capital to land the guy they love. Bottom line, I do not see us getting much better in '19 with the current QB stable, but we may win a few more games. Then what? Move way up in the '20 draft????

Lets give it a go if it makes any sense....why let that elephant in the room continue to be either a coach or a QB?
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-12-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Ditto!!

I will confess that I do not know everything about this year's batch, but here's what I do know:

1) These young men develop as we speak, and from now to the actual draft, I can almost guarantee that at least one, maybe two or three of the QBs, whether high up or lower down, will move up the draft boards for the right reasons. And then these same folks will be daily discussion, so much so, that more teams will probably get interested. Not saying they will draft a QB, but there is nothing like seeing a good young QB today, than a potentially good QB tomorrow.

2) But if you wait, you likely make other moves that may mess up the overall plan. So Instead of making that QB move, do you try to upgrade your team right out of a good draft spot the following year? Hey, we all want to win during the season, and that's sports, but short term gains might hurt you if you think you are in line for the top 2 or 3 QBs the following year. I am definitely not saying that you should tank (that's being discussed elsewhere), but I am saying that IF YOU NEED A QB, do not expect future crops to be a gimme for the taking. Each year a number of teams make that realization.

Now, if you're a decent team, which we are, and you like the path you are in, and can wait for a QB....so be it. You check out FA and The Draft every year and see what works. But yes we are decent, however I believe we need a QB to get us over the hump. Why wait if a good young player is there for us? You should never expect to go far with some great parts, but no QB. That ship has sailed. Our last SB was great....but unlikely. If not that D we do not even get close. Ds like that, and superman achievements like what Von did, are not the norm.

3) This is not a specific separate point, because it overlaps with #1, but just to make it very clear: at least one of the QBs in this draft will be rated much higher come draft day. Think of Mayfield. Where was he on the lists a year ago? And in the end, not only did he go #1, many believe he will be a quality starter for his entire career. And then think of the Russ Wilson's, and dare I say, the Brady's, who were not rounder oner's by any means. And then add the QBs that were expected to be good, but excelled at the NFL level...like Mahomes so far. Conversely, many will not rise, nor excel, nor even become starters. I understand that part. But that's why you make sure you employ complete dude diligence in the process. Fall in love with a guy, or keep him off your board, but do it because of fact, not emotion.

So yes...why not his year? And maybe we will not have to use much capital to land a guy we feel good about. That would be a plus, because some teams have depleted their draft capital to land the guy they love. Bottom line, I do not see us getting much better in '19 with the current QB stable, but we may win a few more games. Then what? Move way up in the '20 draft????

Lets give it a go if it makes any sense....why let that elephant in the room continue to be either a coach or a QB?
    Agreed 100%. The hope is we donít draft this high again for a long time. Therefore we are in position to get exactly the guy we want. I know everyone is in love with Tua, Herbert, and Fromm but you canít tell me Haskins, Grier, and Lock are that far behind them. Find a guy you feel good about, a guy who loves the life of being an NFL QB, and a guy with a good attitude and football brain and make the move. The rest will fall into place. I feel strongly that one of Haskins, Grier, Lock, or Jones will be available at pick 10, stay put and snag one.

Exactly! I want to see us either trade for Wentz (assuming Foles wins another making Wentz available) Draft a QB or POSSIBLY for the right price trade for foles. We above all else need a QB. There are solid ILB's in free agency this year if we could lure one here.

Rumors say we're going hard for Antonio Brown in the offseason, if we do that, I want us to have a QB capable of utilizing him to the fullest.
    https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1084159671412363266

Agreed 100%. The hope is we don’t draft this high again for a long time. Therefore we are in position to get exactly the guy we want. I know everyone is in love with Tua, Herbert, and Fromm but you can’t tell me Haskins, Grier, and Lock are that far behind them. Find a guy you feel good about, a guy who loves the life of being an NFL QB, and a guy with a good attitude and football brain and make the move. The rest will fall into place. I feel strongly that one of Haskins, Grier, Lock, or Jones will be available at pick 10, stay put and snag one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Exactly! I want to see us either trade for Wentz (assuming Foles wins another making Wentz available) Draft a QB or POSSIBLY for the right price trade for foles. We above all else need a QB. There are solid ILB's in free agency this year if we could lure one here.

Rumors say we're going hard for Antonio Brown in the offseason, if we do that, I want us to have a QB capable of utilizing him to the fullest.
    https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1084159671412363266
    My goodness.....two folks who agree with me today!!!

KW - yes, we do not want to be down this far again...so lets make a go of it. Lets maximize where we can. Lets find that QB, but also build in other places as we go, hopefully utilizing FA as much as the draft. I feel strongly that if we land a quality QB (even via trade), and we look at improvements at ILB, Oline and perhaps in other respects (maybe an AB or whoever falls into our laps), I believe we can change the fortunes of this team very quickly. We have a good run game, and we still have a quality D, though we need reinforcement.

Frey - yes, yes, yes!