Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

If we cut/trade Case?

What are the salary cap hits for next year?Cheers.

We would have 10 million in dead cap money. He's going to be here 1 more year.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsam View Post
    We would have 10 million in dead cap money. He's going to be here 1 more year.
    Itís my understanding that they also save $11 million by cutting him.

I donít think itís a given that he stays.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    It’s my understanding that they also save $11 million by cutting him.

I don’t think it’s a given that he stays.
    Correct, he has a 21 million contract next year. 18 million base, 3 million signing bonus. 21 Million. If we cut him, we save 11 million but have a 10 million dollar cap hit.

You are right. I cannot say 100% for certain he will be here. Teams generally dont cut players that have dead money hits that will take up roughly 7% of the cap. I hope denver is smart enough to see its about 25% case, 25% play calling and 50% pressure / O line.

Fix the O line, then worry about the QB.

Case wonít be cut. But that doesnít mean he will be the starter either.

Another qb will be acquired either via free agency or the draft. Itís up to Case to beat him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsam View Post
    Correct, he has a 21 million contract next year. 18 million base, 3 million signing bonus. 21 Million. If we cut him, we save 11 million but have a 10 million dollar cap hit.

You are right. I cannot say 100% for certain he will be here. Teams generally dont cut players that have dead money hits that will take up roughly 7% of the cap. I hope denver is smart enough to see its about 25% case, 25% play calling and 50% pressure / O line.

Fix the O line, then worry about the QB.
    So we actually gain a million if we cut him? I know it would be a dead money hit but wouldn't the other side cancel it out?

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Case won’t be cut. But that doesn’t mean he will be the starter either.

Another qb will be acquired either via free agency or the draft. It’s up to Case to beat him out.
    Ugh, it sucks that it's a necessity that Denver has a QB competition every freaking summer.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing too many options other then Keenum next year.

.Not seeing the Broncos eating $10M to release him,. Doubt they can trade him. Because of the cost it is not likely they can sign a significant upgrade either.

I hope I am just being overly cynical but at the moment I see another off- season of "optimism" because the new HC and O-Coord will be hyped as the answer to improving him and the offense. Only to followed by continued arguments to bench him because the drafted QB project needs to play or the undrafted QB is the real deal in pre-season.

Wishing the Broncos some good luck in resolving this issue, because they have created a mess with no easy solutions IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    So we actually gain a million if we cut him? I know it would be a dead money hit but wouldn't the other side cancel it out?
    No. If hes with us next year its 21 million. IF we cut him, we still pay him 10 million.

Example

200 million cap
    179 Million remaining if we keep case
    190 million remaining if we cut case.

Hope this makes sense.

I would cut him and use the 11million elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    While it does seem nice to use the $11 mil elsewhere I'm never a fan of paying someone $10 million to coach or play somewhere else. That's just bad business.

It also doesn't solve our QB situation. Where exactly are you going to spend the $10 million? On a top tier Guard or tackle or MLB? Then who plays QB?

Are you going to pay a veteran $10 million to come play QB? That's not going to buy much. It's going to buy a downgrade from Keenum.

I would keep Case as a backup. Great expensive guy to have as a backup QB for next year. The other option is to trade him. I would love that option. Maybe Case might get it next year but I would bet against that.

Quote Originally Posted by swinginhorseman View Post
    I would keep Case as a backup. Great expensive guy to have as a backup QB for next year. The other option is to trade him. I would love that option. Maybe Case might get it next year but I would bet against that.
    But backup to who? A rookie?

We aren't high enough to get the top guy. We can't pay a vet. I say keep Keenum to avoid the dead cap hit. However that means paying him $21 Mil. We aren't going to pay someone else $15-20 mil to start over him. And even if we did it would be likely a downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    While it does seem nice to use the $11 mil elsewhere I'm never a fan of paying someone $10 million to coach or play somewhere else. That's just bad business.

It also doesn't solve our QB situation. Where exactly are you going to spend the $10 million? On a top tier Guard or tackle or MLB? Then who plays QB?

Are you going to pay a veteran $10 million to come play QB? That's not going to buy much. It's going to buy a downgrade from Keenum.
    On the flip side can you really justify paying Keenum $21 million after the way he's played this year?

We can cut him and save $11 million, seems like a win/win to me. Granted he doesn't hurt, which then his contract becomes fully guaranteed.

With now officially being eliminated from the playoffs, I'd bench him to avoid an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I agree.....or at least trade him for some form of capital (incl. draft or player(s)).

Otherwise we keep this thing going, this so so stuff, that leads us to more so so stuff. We have to be careful, because our D needs some TLC as well, and if we don't keep it at a high level, we stand the chance of becoming ordinary on both sides of the ball.

I say make something happen, in '19. Right the ship, and then build around it.