Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

So Who Is The New Coach

Assuming the rumors are true, I wanted to start a thread on who the next coach of the Broncos will be. There's been some other stuff thrown out there and I wanted to put it in a discussion with all of the potential names thrown in here. A college coach, a retread, a blast from the past? State your candidate and tell us why.

My vote would be Mike Shanahan. I was a big advocate of Shanahan getting fired 10 years ago but honestly there's no one on the market that will be better suited to coming in here, establishing order, and if not making this team contenders again at the very least getting this team to compete harder. He will establish a singular identity on offense and as long as he's not making personnel decisions exclusively he'll do very well. Also, since I'm of the belief that we're stuck with Keenum for another year, Shanahan's really the best person to get the best out of him I think.

My scenario would be to bring Shanahan back as the head coach, hire Kubiak as the Assistant Head Coach over the offense, and then place an up-and-comer in the offensive coordinator position. Groom the coordinator for the next 3-5 years to be a head coach. If at at the end of that period the team is doing well and Shanahan wants to stay on board, keep it going. If the team is doing well and Shanahan wants to step down, you can promote the coordinator to head coach and he can continue working with Kubiak. If the team isn't doing well then Shanahan exits again, and we either have a coordinator we may be able to promote depending on his performance or we start over with a different coach. But I think that's the best option for Denver right now.

Having said that, none of this will probably happen sans Kubiak stepping into an offensive coordinator role perhaps. My honest opinion is that we'll wind up with a 2nd-tier retread coach similar to how we landed John Fox 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    My vote would be Mike Shanahan. I was a big advocate of Shanahan getting fired 10 years ago but honestly there's no one on the market that will be better suited to coming in here, establishing order, and if not making this team contenders again at the very least getting this team to compete harder. He will establish a singular identity on offense and as long as he's not making personnel decisions exclusively he'll do very well. Also, since I'm of the belief that we're stuck with Keenum for another year, Shanahan's really the best person to get the best out of him I think.

My scenario would be to bring Shanahan back as the head coach, hire Kubiak as the Assistant Head Coach over the offense, and then place an up-and-comer in the offensive coordinator position. Groom the coordinator for the next 3-5 years to be a head coach. If at at the end of that period the team is doing well and Shanahan wants to stay on board, keep it going. If the team is doing well and Shanahan wants to step down, you can promote the coordinator to head coach and he can continue working with Kubiak. If the team isn't doing well then Shanahan exits again, and we either have a coordinator we may be able to promote depending on his performance or we start over with a different coach. But I think that's the best option for Denver right now.

Having said that, none of this will probably happen sans Kubiak stepping into an offensive coordinator role perhaps. My honest opinion is that we'll wind up with a 2nd-tier retread coach similar to how we landed John Fox 8 years ago.
    I like your rationale but I do have concerns about Shanny. He hasn't coached in a few years and that makes me wonder why no one else has hired him if the thought is he can still be a quality HC. I do like your strategy and succession plan though.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBobalu View Post
    I like your rationale but I do have concerns about Shanny. He hasn't coached in a few years and that makes me wonder why no one else has hired him if the thought is he can still be a quality HC. I do like your strategy and succession plan though.
    I like Shanahan but also worry about his ability to play the role as just HC.

Lucky I also know Elway is very hard headed and will not allow Shanahan to bull him around like how McD bulled his way around as HC.

I do think if Shanahan is hired than it will be because Shanahan put his ego aside.

This does not mean that everything will be all blue skies....Shanahan was the coach he was because of his staff. Getting a good HC is just part of the solution...we need to be able to assemble a good staff no matter who the HC is.

It's his age and lack of post-season success in the past 20 years. That's just being truthful. That's why you have a succession plan in place in case it doesn't work out. It also ended very badly in Washington which may have soured Shanahan's once stellar reputation around the NFL.

To be clear, I don't know if Shanahan will come in here and make us Super Bowl contenders. If I'm being honest I would say that's not likely unless we somehow land a legitimate franchise quarterback while he's here. I'm looking at this as more of a rebuild project and I think while Shanahan may not be successful in getting this team back to a Super Bowl, he can establish certain things that can set this team up for success long-term.

I donít know how you feel about Schlereth and Stokely but both have stated Many times this football season that they have spent days at the Shanahan house breaking down film from every game with Shanahan going over everything and explaining every scheme and every assignment to a t.

Schlereth even said that he himself Had to watch a few plays over and over to completey understand what the opposition was doing while Shanahan would understand it at first glance. He even said that Shanahan would explain to him what was going on before he himself/Schlereth even had a clue what was happening.

Brandon Stokely has said similar things and he even stated that Coach Shanahan is with it and has not missed a beat in the football world.

I made my comments about Shanahan above but I am not sold he is the answer. We should be allowed to explore him as a possible candidate but I think we need to take a deep look. We can not be changing coaches all the time. The next guy needs to be someone we will be ok with giving a long look.

As much as I would like to get a young offensive mind I think we need to find an experienced offensive minded HC. We just can not afford another McD or VJ...young guy who may not be ready for the job at this time. That would be the path to long term losing considering what we been through imo

I just have to throw this in there but could anyone imagine Mike Shanahan and Peyton Manning sitting down on a daily basis I going over game film in their retirement!

Itís a shame that neither men are involved with the Denver Broncos still if this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    It's his age and lack of post-season success in the past 20 years. That's just being truthful. That's why you have a succession plan in place in case it doesn't work out. It also ended very badly in Washington which may have soured Shanahan's once stellar reputation around the NFL.

To be clear, I don't know if Shanahan will come in here and make us Super Bowl contenders. If I'm being honest I would say that's not likely unless we somehow land a legitimate franchise quarterback while he's here. I'm looking at this as more of a rebuild project and I think while Shanahan may not be successful in getting this team back to a Super Bowl, he can establish certain things that can set this team up for success long-term.
    People still not wanting to give Shanahan credit for the 2005 AFC Championship Game....got to win a playoff game and get a playoff bye (or win two playoff games) to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I just have to throw this in there but could anyone imagine Mike Shanahan and Peyton Manning sitting down on a daily basis I going over game film in their retirement!

It’s a shame that neither men are involved with the Denver Broncos still if this is the case.
    This would be a sight! I know Shanahan was seriously impressed with PM's worth ethic even in a Pro Bowl. Have not herd much about what PM wants to do or even if the Broncos would be his franchise of choice if he did want to go that path.

Who I would really like to see involved in coaching our guys is TD. TD may have been the best pass blocking RB all time and imo we really need to improve our RB pass blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I made my comments about Shanahan above but I am not sold he is the answer. We should be allowed to explore him as a possible candidate but I think we need to take a deep look. We can not be changing coaches all the time. The next guy needs to be someone we will be ok with giving a long look.

As much as I would like to get a young offensive mind I think we need to find an experienced offensive minded HC. We just can not afford another McD or VJ...young guy who may not be ready for the job at this time. That would be the path to long term losing considering what we been through imo
    in understand what youíre saying but Iíd have to be hard pressed to support another John Fox type hiring over an offensive genius.

Even though Mike has the biggest ego in pro football (even over Belichick) you still have to consider all the thousand yard rushers he produced, the consistent zone blocking offensive line that he also produced for years on end and not to mention that he always had solid tight end play both blocking and receiving.

Three things that we are seriously lacking! We have Lindsay, now if we could only pair him with a Lamar Jackson type threat at QB to go with our soon to be extremely tough defense weíll be back on top in no time!

How about this guy?

Chris Petersen, University of Washington

McCarthy, lets not mess around and do whatever it takes. And let him bring in his own assistants .

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    People still not wanting to give Shanahan credit for the 2005 AFC Championship Game....got to win a playoff game and get a playoff bye (or win two playoff games) to get there.
    I love Champ but I canít help but wonder what may have been if we had Portis and Plummer on the same team.

That would had been a pick your poison type scenario for opposing defenses not to mention the head aches! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by colowoz View Post
    McCarthy, lets not mess around and do whatever it takes. And let him bring in his own assistants .
    Last I heard Arizona was pursuing him pretty hard.