Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    In my opinion no, what Manning did cannot be taught or replicated without experience. I mean he called the plays from the LOS while evaluating the defense based upon a hurry up offense. I guess today they do the same thing in college without huddling, letting the coaches make a call with the zone read.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Didn't Patrick Roy struggle finding a goalie?

There certainly are former players that turn out to be great coaches, and Manning could be one of those who would be a great coach, I'm just not sure of it because it was his on field smarts that made him who he was, can he teach that to another QB?
    Actually, no. Semyon Varlamov was (and still is) the Avs' goalie during Roy's tenure. In fact, Varlamov was a Vezina finalist in the same year Roy won the Jack Adams award. He basically carried the team that year and made Roy look a lot better than he was. Roy will always be the GOAT to me, but his sudden resignation left Colorado high and dry and led to one of the worst seasons in NHL history.
    Last edited by gerontion; 12-29-2018 at 10:12 AM.

No coach had a better Organizing skill then Mike Shannahan! Here is the thing though, who will call the shots come draft time? I think it is well known that Mike and John are both OFFENSIVE minded judges of talent. The defense might get neglected again, it would be 2008 all over again!

Since he was fired, Denver has had what, 5 different coaches in 10 years? I think it is time to pick a coach that is proven, experienced, has a good track record, and stick with him. This process will never work if you don't let a system build up a team for at LEAST 5 years through the draft, free agency, building and molding to fit their system. Thats why Denver has been so successful. Every decade since the 80s they have gone to the playoffs at least 5 years out of those ten. Coaching longevity and player/system had a LOT to do with that!

Seems like theres not too many teams who give a coach much more then 3 to 4 years to coach a team and prove it anymore. Jason Garrett has had Jerry Jones in his pocket I guess. He is in his 8th season, and is ONLY 1-2 in the playoffs. At least he seems to have a clue, something tells me our Head Coach, and most of the staff,,,,,,, do not.
    oh YEAH?

Quote Originally Posted by Axemaster View Post
    No coach had a better Organizing skill then Mike Shannahan! Here is the thing though, who will call the shots come draft time? I think it is well known that Mike and John are both OFFENSIVE minded judges of talent. The defense might get neglected again, it would be 2008 all over again!

Since he was fired, Denver has had what, 5 different coaches in 10 years? I think it is time to pick a coach that is proven, experienced, has a good track record, and stick with him. This process will never work if you don't let a system build up a team for at LEAST 5 years through the draft, free agency, building and molding to fit their system. Thats why Denver has been so successful. Every decade since the 80s they have gone to the playoffs at least 5 years out of those ten. Coaching longevity and player/system had a LOT to do with that!

Seems like theres not too many teams who give a coach much more then 3 to 4 years to coach a team and prove it anymore.Jason Garrett has had Jerry Jones in his pocket I guess. He is in his 8th season, and is ONLY 1-2 in the playoffs. At least he seems to have a clue, something tells me our Head Co ach, and most of the staff,,,,,,, do not.

Judging by the talent the John has put on both sides of the ball, the opposite could easily be argued. He built a D that won a SB. He has struggled with OL and QB. I worry more about Mike and his choosing of DC then our D players under John.

Actually, I think Jerry has had Jason in his, which is why Garret is still HC.

No arguements about our coaching. You are absolutely right. They don't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Actually, no. Semyon Varlamov was (and still is) the Avs' goalie during Roy's tenure. In fact, Varlamov was a Vezina finalist in the same year Roy won the Jack Adams award. He basically carried the team that year and made Roy look a lot better than he was. Roy will always be the GOAT to me, but his sudden resignation left Colorado high and dry and led to one of the worst seasons in NHL history.
    That's right, I couldn't remember when he joined the team.

I wonder if Brian Kelly of Notre Dame's head coach is an option. He really has brought that team to the next level. Looking forward to see how he plans against the #1 college defense in the nation.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I wonder if Brian Kelly of Notre Dame's head coach is an option. He really has brought that team to the next level. Looking forward to see how he plans against the #1 college defense in the nation.
    Interesting choice. I think Kelly has maxed out ND. I don't know that they'll ever be quite good enough to win a championship.

I swear if we hire Jim Harbaugh I might find a new team. I despise that guy!

I wonder if whoever is hired ends up being short term if there's a change in the ownership

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    I swear if we hire Jim Harbaugh I might find a new team. I despise that guy!
    He's 44-19-1 in the NFL, with the first 3 seasons consisting of three trips to the NFC Championship game as well a trip to a Super Bowl. The last year got away from him and they finished 8-8.

He's a good coach, if he could get Denver winning again I won't care about his personality.

He's 44-19-1 in the NFL, with the first 3 seasons consisting of three trips to the NFC Championship game as well a trip to a Super Bowl. The last year got away from him and they finished 8-8.

He's a good coach, if he could get Denver winning again I won't care about his personality.
    I would love that but doubt hed be willing to work with Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by jc13 View Post
    I would love that but doubt he’d be willing to work with Elway.
    Depends. If the rumours of Matt Russell likely being replaced soon that leaves an opening in the personnel group that they can use as leverage for a coach. If they can promise (and agree) to Kubiak, Elway and the new coach being the three voices that make the personnel decisions.

Depends. If the rumours of Matt Russell likely being replaced soon that leaves an opening in the personnel group that they can use as leverage for a coach. If they can promise (and agree) to Kubiak, Elway and the new coach being the three voices that make the personnel decisions.
    Why is Russell rumored to leave ? Thought he was one of the masterminds in the FO. It does seem like theyre drafting better with Kubiak in the FO though.

Harbaugh is just such a whiner and looks like a complete moron.

Adam Gase may be fired. I would think he would be one of the top candidates for DEN.