Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeMarcus Walker

Walker has not been given a fair shake by the coaching staff. In his limited time he has shown a high ceiling. With Wolfe a possible cap casualty, we should see much more of Walker next year.

When Robert Ayers came out he was a strong side DE who looked best when rushing the quarterback from the inside at the 3 technique. He was considered to be an inconsistent flash player but when he showed them flashes, looked like a dominant player. This is the way I would describe DeMarcus Walker also, I see a lot of similarities between the two and it scares me a little bit.

When Ayers got here he was used in the wrong way, Josh McDanielís and Mike Nolan tried to turn him into an OLB and it didnít work out. Robert Ayers ended up having a solid career however it wasnít until he moved back down to the strong side DE spot in the 4-3 when John Fox arrived that he really improved. He was always solid against the run but his pass rushing was always questioned.

I am really hoping that we donít plan on making Walker an OLB or even a wide technique DE. He has shown flashes of being a dominant force when rushing from the interior when matched up with guards and we need to allow him to do that here. As some people have said he will need to add some weight to become a full-time starter on the interior as a 3 technique however right now he can add a rotational pass rushing element to the interior of this defense that we need. I am a big fan of the pick and the value, I just hope he is utilised the right way.
    This coaching staff has done exactly what I was worried they would do with Walker. Walker right now is a downright bust, he has contributed nothing of value to this team, however it's a situation where I believe a coaching staff has horribly mismanaged the player and gave him no chance of succeeding. A switch to a 4-3 and a return to a pass rushing 3 technique position would give Walker a chance to turn his career around. Counting down the days until this coaching staff is fired, exciting times.

From what i've seen, the coaches are trying to do what they can to help out the make shift secondary that can't cover on the back end by dropping the DE's and D line in the coverage sometimes. A lot of folks on her are looking at these players like it's the Super Bowl "D", NOT EVEN CLOSE. This personnel and roster is just not good enough. Coaching has noting to do with Elways mess.

Quote Originally Posted by DavisMVP View Post
    From what i've seen, the coaches are trying to do what they can to help out the make shift secondary that can't cover on the back end by dropping the DE's and D line in the coverage sometimes. A lot of folks on her are looking at these players like it's the Super Bowl "D", NOT EVEN CLOSE. This personnel and roster is just not good enough. Coaching has noting to do with Elways mess.
    There are a lot of examples of bad player choices AND there has been examples of bad coaching choices.

Saying coaching has nothing to do with this mess is just being blind.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhdiggs View Post
    I'm wholly with the "This is the coaching staffs issue". Walker has looked very good when given an opportunity to play yet they refuse to play him. The various Broncos coaching staffs have historically done this. Players I remember both my dad and I wondering out loud why they never saw the field more included:

Wesley Woodyard
    Danny Trevathon
    Malik Jackson
    Shelby Harris
    and Demarcus Walker.

The top three become solid, or better, starters for us, usually in their last 1 or 2 contract years. Let's hope the bottom turn out the same way but we keep them.

As for inactive... no idea why they'd do that especially since there is a 90% chance Wolfe doesn't finish any single game.
    Wish the fans could ask questons

iirc Bill Kollar was really big on Walker coming out of college.

Would be interesting to know in his words what happened between than and now.

on Trev...I dunno if anyone watches the Bears but that guy looks amazing. It is painful to think we have Davis and Marshall and let Trev go. Trev has cap hits of 6-7 mil on his contract. Marshall gets up to 9 mil and Davis gets up to 6 mil.
    Last edited by Hadez; 12-27-2018 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavisMVP View Post
    I personally believe it is a combination of talent and coaching, but the people who act like this is the superbowl 50 defensive roster are wrong. We have no quality safeties on this team, our inside linebackers are terrible, our cornerback depth is one of the worse in the NFL, and outside of Chubb and Miller, we cannot generate a pass rush out of a base defense. John Elway has done a horrible job of replacing talented guys who have left, for example Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, TJ Ward, and a once productive Darien Stewert have been replaced with what ? Shelby Harris, Josey Jewell, Bradley Chubb, Tramaine Brock, Justin Simmons, and Darien Stewert has rapidly declined. I think it is wrong to ignore coaching as a problem with this team, but I see more people ignoring the lack of talent we have and blaming the coaching for everything, that is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosk View Post
    While I agree that Wolfe and Jackson became better players when we had that historic defense in 2015, they were at least very solid contributors from 2012-2014 and werenít healthy scratches. Most Bronco fans knew that Malik was a great player even before his final season in Denver, in 2015. Malikís best season with Denver was arguably 2013. Wolfe has obviously been well known around this fan base since his rookie year.

Walker has barely been able to touch the field in his two years in Denver. Even last year with no pass rush outside of Von. Which probably has to do with the lack of coaching from our head coach. Fact of the matter is that Walker has been a huge bust through this point and appears to be another wasted second round pick. Even with Fox and Kubes, who prefer vets over young guys, had Wolfe and Jackson out there because of a skill standpoint. I donít think Walker falls in that category, unfortunately.

At this point, Iím totally fine with moving on from Walker and Denverís best rappers, Langley and Cravens.
    I am not willing to put Walker in that camp yet. The issue with Walker is that Denver asked him to drop a TON of weight due to the injuries to Shaq & Ray. He did it and it was not a good experiment. Walker is not at his best when he is that light. He needs to be slightly heavier but still play form the inside lighter than most DE's. He then uses speed and strength to win the interior. So this is one of two things IMO-

1. Maybe he has been caught with something and is in the entry stages of a program? If that is the case then we may simply be overly cautious.

2. This could just be coaching incompetence. I mean....a FG inside the 10....with 4th and 2.....down by 10 (or just under)....

Ultimately for me though this decision should be a simple one. Some guys simply play better on game day then they practice. Our interior rush has not bee great this year and it needs to change. With the draft coming up we need to see what we've got. Walker should play perhaps more reps then Wolfe....after all he is clearly unhappy and doesn't wanna be here....

The better question being is do think VJ even knows he's on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post

on Trev...I dunno if anyone watches the Bears but that guy looks amazing. It is painful to think we have Davis and Marshall and let Trev go. Trev has cap hits of 6-7 mil on his contract. Marshall gets up to 9 mil and Davis gets up to 6 mil.
    Trev. Was a Xanders selection not Elways, it make a difference ya know!

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post

I wanted to keep Trev at the time too and I hate that we kept Marshall and let him go. I don't know this of course, but I theorize that Trev was a Fox guy. When his contract ran out, he went straight to Fox. It might have been about what was behind the scenes. I have nothing to show me it had anything to do with on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    The better question being is do think VJ even knows he's on the roster.
    Even better question is does VJ even know what team he's coaching?

Even better than that is the team that he's coaching any good? Because if you look at the numbers and listen to "The Experts" the roster and the team was not good on paper. Just over hyped by the fans and the media, nothing from the preseason offense looked good against base defenses. Case struggled in the pre-season to start fast, so I'm not surprised by our record. What I'm surprised at is how people still think that this team is better then it really is.
    Last edited by DavisMVP; 12-30-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Iím hoping Denver gets a coach that switches to a 4-3 on d. I think we have more pieces that will bring out the best in players like Walker and Chubb. One of Vons best seasons came in a 4-3 D.

The problem with that is your LB's and Safeties will be put in man-to-man coverage a lot. And with this group here, no good.

Not necessarily. Cover 2 and Tampa 2 are often run in 4-3 schemes and employ zone coverage. It really depends on what the offense is doing.

Be that as it may, Walker should never be used as an OLB. He's going in to his third year with, likely, a new coaching staff. Some changes may also happen in the off-season that could either help or hinder his chances. Since he's still on his rookie contract he really has no say in anything so his best chance is to continue to work hard, go to camp next year in good share and ready to compete, know his assignments and turn heads with consistent play.

Good luck to him. I'd love to see him have a breakout next year.