• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JW7
    Captain
    • Apr 2009

Would Elway Consider Kyler Murray?

Has the failed picks of big, tall Quarterbacks changed his mind about looking at only physical traits? I think Murray will ultimately pick football and is heads and shoulders above any other QB prospect this year. I think Mayfields success is changing people's minds about spread offenses and smaller Quarterbacks. If he enters the draft and is available around where we are picking, I would love to see them pull the trigger. I doubt Elway goes for a small guy at the position though.

Early 1st round
    33.33%
    Late 1st round
    25.00%
    2nd round
    0.00%
    3rd round
    0.00%
    4th round
    8.33%
    5th round or later
    8.33%
    Wouldn't draft
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by JW7; 12-27-2018, 11:27 AM.
    sigpic
  • JvDub95
    Football Immortal
    • Jan 2005

If Murray declares for the draft I would hope Elway would strongly consider him. The kid is extremely talented and his own HC said he is better than Baker......so there's that

​​​​

Comment

• JW7
      Captain
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
      If Murray declares for the draft I would hope Elway would strongly consider him. The kid is extremely talented and his own HC said he is better than Baker......so there's that
      Agreed. I doubt he would though. I think you would need a head coach that would coach to his strengths as well. A lot would have to fall into place.

The game of football is changing and I hope Elway decides to adapt. I don't think size is an issue for a QB. Two of the best QB's in the league are under 6', with a 3rd on the verge of winning ROTY. I fear that we will reach on a QB in this draft who has all the measurables but not the on field production to match.
      sigpic

Comment

• Ear2dastreets
        Ring of Famer
        • Oct 2017

Made a post while back saying he was mu favorite.
        Again UNTIL WE DRAFT A QB IN THE TOP 10....we will not be a contender. Plz stop taking other team garbage qbs and late 1st rounders Qbs. We have NEVER selected a qb top 10

Comment

• Kyousukeneko
          Football Immortal
          • May 2010

he signed a contract with the Oakland A. he wont be able to play football, unless he doesn't resign with them after or flames out in the MLB. I don't think you can just get out of a contract at will. so i think any GM who would consider him this draft would be an idiot. here is what will happen he wont sign. and can re-enter the draft the next year. Either way, he is a name to keep an eye on. if he wasn't already signed to contract by the mlb. then he would be my top QB this draft.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• lvbronx
            Old School
            • Jul 2005

I'm on the Murray bandwagon. A combo of Murray and Lindsay would be something other teams won't have seen and would be hard for them to prepare for. That would be a lot of speed and quickness.

Comment

• Letswinplz77
              Playmaker
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
              he signed a contract with the Oakland A. he wont be able to play football, unless he doesn't resign with them after or flames out in the MLB. I don't think you can just get out of a contract at will. so i think any GM who would consider him this draft would be an idiot. here is what will happen he wont sign. and can re-enter the draft the next year. Either way, he is a name to keep an eye on. if he wasn't already signed to contract by the mlb. then he would be my top QB this draft.
              He doesn't have to play. He can "retire" from baseball and remit whatever amount of his signing bonus that would require. He can't be forced to play a sport he doesn't want to play. He couldn't go sign with another MLB baseball team, but if he wants to play football, he can.
              All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

• KWHIT97
                Master of the Mock
                • Oct 2007

My #1 requirement in a franchise QB is a guy who wants to be great. First in last out mentality, cerebral, film junkie, etc. I don’t give a hoot about measurables and Elway shouldn’t either.
                That being said I don’t want Murray, if he’s committed at all to baseball how committed could he be to put in the time to be a great NFL QB. If he does both it won’t work, Bo Jackson was a running back, Deion Sanders was a DB. Both of those positions you can play with sheer athleticism, QB you need to be a student of the game and eat, sleep and breathe it. Not thanks!
                I still want Will Grier!

Comment

• Ear2dastreets
                  Ring of Famer
                  • Oct 2017

Ok he signed that contract what like last year. Players can have a love for both sports. Signing the MLB contract for his future was not a bad move, he or no one else would have thought he'd have the season he did. Now new doors has opened. You only can deal with what options he had at the time. I truly feels he wants football and will enter the draft and I really would want him. I like Grier he is in my top 3. But if Murray or Haskins is available I want them 1st.
                  Again UNTIL WE DRAFT A QB IN THE TOP 10....we will not be a contender. Plz stop taking other team garbage qbs and late 1st rounders Qbs. We have NEVER selected a qb top 10

Comment

• gerontion
                    Playmaker
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                    My #1 requirement in a franchise QB is a guy who wants to be great. First in last out mentality, cerebral, film junkie, etc. I don’t give a hoot about measurables and Elway shouldn’t either.
                    That being said I don’t want Murray, if he’s committed at all to baseball how committed could he be to put in the time to be a great NFL QB. If he does both it won’t work, Bo Jackson was a running back, Deion Sanders was a DB. Both of those positions you can play with sheer athleticism, QB you need to be a student of the game and eat, sleep and breathe it. Not thanks!
                    I still want Will Grier!
                    You have to have some measureables in a QB, or else you'll wind up with a Case Keenum, who is no doubt a cerebral, hard working guy.

Comment

• gerontion
                      Playmaker
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by JW7 View Post
                      Has the failed picks of big, tall Quarterbacks changed his mind about looking at only physical traits? I think Murray will ultimately pick football and is heads and shoulders above any other QB prospect this year. I think Mayfields success is changing people's minds about spread offenses and smaller Quarterbacks. If he enters the draft and is available around where we are picking, I would love to see them pull the trigger. I doubt Elway goes for a small guy at the position though.

Oh, Murray has some physical traits. He's got a big arm and is very mobile. What I worry about most is not his height, but his weight. He's under 200 lbs. Can he hold up in the NFL? The good thing is he's such a good passer that he will only run when he needs to. Hopefully he watches some Russell Wilson tape to learn how a mobile QB can avoid taking punishment.

Comment

• lvbronx
                        Old School
                        • Jul 2005

John Elway signed with the NY Yankees before deciding to play NFL football.

Comment

• WYBRONCO
                          Football Immortal
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                          John Elway signed with the NY Yankees before deciding to play NFL football.
                          And used that to get out of signing with the Colts. I am not an OU fan at all, but this kid is really good.

I think it boils down to talk to Murray. IF he says I want to be an NFL QB then Denver explains what their expectations are for achieving that. I don't see any team being ok with a dual sport athlete as their QB, because these guys work in the offseason with WR's to get better as a group. If Denver takes this kid they have to fashion an offense that doesn't get him killed and still allows him to develop as young QB.

Comment

• JW7
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                            I still want Will Grier!
                            I don't necessarily think that Murray wouldn't be 100% committed to football if he made that decision. I think his situation unique as he was the #9 overall pick in the MLB draft. It's a lot different than being picked in the 20th or 30th round. Compounded with how skeptical a lot of GMs are about having a big guy at that position it makes his decision a tough one. I think if he gets graded as a first rounder, he jumps to the NFL and commits himself to it.

As I side note, I like Will Grier a lot as well. I'd be happy with either player because they have both been highly productive.
                            sigpic

Comment

• gerontion
                              Playmaker
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by JW7 View Post
                              I don't necessarily think that Murray wouldn't be 100% committed to football if he made that decision. I think his situation unique as he was the #9 overall pick in the MLB draft. It's a lot different than being picked in the 20th or 30th round. Compounded with how skeptical a lot of GMs are about having a big guy at that position it makes his decision a tough one. I think if he gets graded as a first rounder, he jumps to the NFL and commits himself to it.

As I side note, I like Will Grier a lot as well. I'd be happy with either player because they have both been highly productive.
                              It is a tough decision for him. His heart might say football, but his head would say baseball. They have guaranteed contracts in MLB plus no salary cap. And of course he is far more likely to get hurt playing football, especially considering his lack of size.

Comment

Working...
                              X