View Poll Results: If he declares, would you draft him or not

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Early 1st round

    4 33.33%
  • Late 1st round

    3 25.00%
  • 2nd round

    0 0%
  • 3rd round

    0 0%
  • 4th round

    1 8.33%
  • 5th round or later

    1 8.33%
  • Wouldn't draft

    3 25.00%
Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 1063
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lone Tree
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by MHOC View Post
    I ask because I donít know... how can you draft a guy high with the chance he bolts for baseball for ANY reason
    If he picks the NFL he is guaranteed more money in the short term and also has to pay back his signing bonus he already received from the Oakland Athletics. Bolting to baseball would ultimately be the same as he would be signing a 4 year deal with an NFL team for his rookie deal.

    I think he would have to be committed to football of he makes that decision.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ast-six-games/

    Dead serious. Calling him "okay" proves that you haven't watched him play this year.
    Yawn!! MVP is won over a season and not 6 games in which his many playoff teams has Baker played in the last 7 games of which how many has he won? You can beat your chest for him to he a mvp candidate all you want that's fine. He has been OK NOTHING TO SHAKE A STICK AT. No more replying to you about this.
    P.S. I have seen play multi games.....which brought me to what I said above. #done

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,113
    Quote Originally Posted by MHOC View Post
    I ask because I don’t know... how can you draft a guy high with the chance he bolts for baseball for ANY reason
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    If he picks the NFL he is guaranteed more money in the short term and also has to pay back his signing bonus he already received from the Oakland Athletics. Bolting to baseball would ultimately be the same as he would be signing a 4 year deal with an NFL team for his rookie deal.

    I think he would have to be committed to football of he makes that decision.
    Joel Klatt made a good point...if Murray didn't really love football he wouldn't have played this year, instead opting to play for the A's system.

    Again, it's a risk, just like it was drafting or trading for John Elway after he signed with the Yankees.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lone Tree
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Yawn!! MVP is won over a season and not 6 games in which his many playoff teams has Baker played in the last 7 games of which how many has he won? You can beat your chest for him to he a mvp candidate all you want that's fine. He has been OK NOTHING TO SHAKE A STICK AT. No more replying to you about this.
    P.S. I have seen play multi games.....which brought me to what I said above. #done
    I guess you cant read. I said mvp level since Jackson was fired. No point in arguing with someone who wont listen to other perspectives.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    I guess you cant read. I said mvp level since Jackson was fired. No point in arguing with someone who wont listen to other perspectives.
    Oh I listened don't mean I have to agree. You are entitled to your opinion. Obviously I read what u said clearly as I stated you can't win in 6 games....I disagree that in those games after Jackson was fired that he is playing mvp level. We have a difference of what we feel mvp level is. No worries......

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    12,812
    Compare Murray to Jackson and Mayfield or JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf all you like but quit the snipy remarks and stick to the topic.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    14,918
    Elway absolutely should consider Murray, he should even try to hire Riley to be our HC. There isnít too much Murray canít do on the football field. As a runner he has that rare ability to change directions without losing speed and as a passer he has an elite arm. The same arguments I had for Jackson last offseason can be applied to Murray except Murray is already a much better passer. Murray dictates to defenses what they can and canít do and that in itself is a huge advantage.

    Yeah his ability to stay healthy for a full season will be a big concern at his size. But thereís no doubt that his ceiling is the highest in this draft.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Elway absolutely should consider Murray, he should even try to hire Riley to be our HC. There isn’t too much Murray can’t do on the football field. As a runner he has that rare ability to change directions without losing speed and as a passer he has an elite arm. The same arguments I had for Jackson last offseason can be applied to Murray except Murray is already a much better passer. Murray dictates to defenses what they can and can’t do and that in itself is a huge advantage.

    Yeah his ability to stay healthy for a full season will be a big concern at his size. But there’s no doubt that his ceiling is the highest in this draft.
    I would welcome him to the team. However, it is a risky pick, just as Lynch was a risky pick. I think a lot of fans would demand a more traditional QB. Personally, I would hate to miss out on a guy who could be the next Russell Wilson. Just as an aside, it would be ironic to see Elway draft a QB who is almost a foot shorter than Oz and Lynch. Talk about extremes.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Compare Murray to Jackson and Mayfield or JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf all you like but quit the snipy remarks and stick to the topic.
    Speaking of comparisons, how does Murray compare to Tua Tagovailoa? I've had my eye on him for a while. If we don't get a QB in 2019, I'd love to get Tua in 2020. It seems both are undersized, mobile QBs with a big arm.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Elway absolutely should consider Murray, he should even try to hire Riley to be our HC. There isn’t too much Murray can’t do on the football field. As a runner he has that rare ability to change directions without losing speed and as a passer he has an elite arm. The same arguments I had for Jackson last offseason can be applied to Murray except Murray is already a much better passer. Murray dictates to defenses what they can and can’t do and that in itself is a huge advantage.

    Yeah his ability to stay healthy for a full season will be a big concern at his size. But there’s no doubt that his ceiling is the highest in this draft.
    100% agreed

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    I would welcome him to the team. However, it is a risky pick, just as Lynch was a risky pick. I think a lot of fans would demand a more traditional QB. Personally, I would hate to miss out on a guy who could be the next Russell Wilson. Just as an aside, it would be ironic to see Elway draft a QB who is almost a foot shorter than Oz and Lynch. Talk about extremes.
    Every QB is a risky pick. Heck every position is a risky pick

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Every QB is a risky pick. Heck every position is a risky pick
    Some QB picks are riskier than others. Lynch was drafted much later than Goff and Wentz because the feeling was he wasn't nearly as pro ready as the other two. He was a boom or bust pick, and we all know how that went. If Herbert had declared, he would be considered a less risky pick than Murray because he has ideal size. He would be a less risky pick than Haskins because he has far more experience.

    As far as your last point, no, not every pick is a risk. Taking Chad Kelly with the last pick in the draft involved no risk at all. If he flamed out, as he did, big deal. You blew a 7th rounder. No such thing as a 7th round bust. If he worked out, you have yourself a diamond in the rough.
    Last edited by gerontion; 12-29-2018 at 01:37 PM.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    13,975
    Quote Originally Posted by MHOC View Post
    I ask because I donít know... how can you draft a guy high with the chance he bolts for baseball for ANY reason
    The baseball/football decision will be made ahead of time, well ahead of time. He is expected to report to spring training in February, if he doesn't and instead goes to football then he'll have to return all of the signing bonus the A's gave him. If he plays football for a year or a couple of years and then bolts for baseball, then he'd have to return bonuses to the football team, and baseball teams would see him as a guy who's backed out on his word twice. He might find a team to sign him, but it would be a tough sell and he wouldn't get much money upfront.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The baseball/football decision will be made ahead of time, well ahead of time. He is expected to report to spring training in February, if he doesn't and instead goes to football then he'll have to return all of the signing bonus the A's gave him. If he plays football for a year or a couple of years and then bolts for baseball, then he'd have to return bonuses to the football team, and baseball teams would see him as a guy who's backed out on his word twice. He might find a team to sign him, but it would be a tough sell and he wouldn't get much money upfront.
    If he chose football, would you want him? If so, how early would you select him?

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    14,918
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Some QB picks are riskier than others. Lynch was drafted much later than Goff and Wentz because the feeling was he wasn't nearly as pro ready as the other two. He was a boom or bust pick, and we all know how that went. If Herbert had declared, he would be considered a less risky pick than Murray because he has ideal size. He would a less risky pick than Haskins because he has far more experience.

    As far as your last point, no, not every pick is a risk. Taking Chad Kelly with the last pick in the draft involved no risk at all. If he flamed out, as he did, big deal. You blew a 7th rounder. No such thing as a 7th round bust. If he worked out, you have yourself a diamond in the rough.
    Herbert wouldíve been riskier than Murray and Haskins IMO. Heís fools gold, he will wow you with an amazing throw every now and throw but I think he really needs to refine his throwing motion to be more compact and work on his flexibility in his follow through. A good number of his inaccurate throws stems from his follow through especially going to his right.

    Haskins has the best throwing motion and is very mechanically sound. His decision making isnít quite there but thatís easier to fix than reworking something youíve been doing your entire life. I think the NFL is going to shift back towards QBs that are in the 6í1Ē to 6í4Ē range because a lot of these really tall QBs have these longer throwing motions and I feel the game is getting too fast for them to be successful without having elite arm strength. I think Jay Cutler is a great case study for this (I realize he wasnít a tall QB) because throughout his career he pretty consistently held the ball low which slowed his throwing motion down. He had the arm strength to make a career but if he couldíve compacted his throwing motion he couldíve been an elite QB. Osweiler and Lynch both had these longer throwing motions and they flamed out. Osweiler tried to fix it but he really just lowered his release point and while it sped it up, it resulted in more batted passes and less velocity on his throws.

    This isnít to say a compact throwing motion is the be all end all for a QB but I think it makes it much easier on the timing between the QBs and WRs. Byron Leftwich probably couldíve been elite if he threw the ball when the WR was about 3 yards away from making his cut.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •