• 4th round

1 8.33%
  • 5th round or later

1 8.33%
  • Wouldn't draft

3 25.00%
Page 5 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    If he chose football, would you want him? If so, how early would you select him?
    I wouldn't because I worry about his size. The 5'10 is worrisome, but not nearly as much as the 195 pounds. QBs take a beating, often in prone positions while throwing, I worry that he would have trouble taking hits, especially since he'll get hit while scrambling to make other plays.

He's a Russell Wilson type player but 20 pounds lighter. I could be wrong, but that would scare me away from taking him.

Some QB picks are riskier than others. Lynch was drafted much later than Goff and Wentz because the feeling was he wasn't nearly as pro ready as the other two. He was a boom or bust pick, and we all know how that went. If Herbert had declared, he would be considered a less risky pick than Murray because he has ideal size. He would be a less risky pick than Haskins because he has far more experience.

As far as your last point, no, not every pick is a risk. Taking Chad Kelly with the last pick in the draft involved no risk at all. If he flamed out, as he did, big deal. You blew a 7th rounder. No such thing as a 7th round bust. If he worked out, you have yourself a diamond in the rough.
    But a risk is a risk. Prototype qb have bust in the pass and four years started have bust too.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Herbert would’ve been riskier than Murray and Haskins IMO. He’s fools gold, he will wow you with an amazing throw every now and throw but I think he really needs to refine his throwing motion to be more compact and work on his flexibility in his follow through. A good number of his inaccurate throws stems from his follow through especially going to his right.

Haskins has the best throwing motion and is very mechanically sound. His decision making isn’t quite there but that’s easier to fix than reworking something you’ve been doing your entire life. I think the NFL is going to shift back towards QBs that are in the 6’1” to 6’4” range because a lot of these really tall QBs have these longer throwing motions and I feel the game is getting too fast for them to be successful without having elite arm strength. I think Jay Cutler is a great case study for this (I realize he wasn’t a tall QB) because throughout his career he pretty consistently held the ball low which slowed his throwing motion down. He had the arm strength to make a career but if he could’ve compacted his throwing motion he could’ve been an elite QB. Osweiler and Lynch both had these longer throwing motions and they flamed out. Osweiler tried to fix it but he really just lowered his release point and while it sped it up, it resulted in more batted passes and less velocity on his throws.

This isn’t to say a compact throwing motion is the be all end all for a QB but I think it makes it much easier on the timing between the QBs and WRs. Byron Leftwich probably could’ve been elite if he threw the ball when the WR was about 3 yards away from making his cut.
    Fair enough. Still, some QB warts are bigger and more worrisome than others. The perception may be changing because of guys like Wilson and Mayfield, but I imagine many teams would still be wary of Murray's lack of size, probably more so than Herbert's flawed throwing motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    But a risk is a risk. Prototype qb have bust in the pass and four years started have bust too.
    I understand what you're saying. But if a QB is obviously lacking in a certain trait, teams will deem him a riskier pick. There's reason a guy you like, Lamar Jackson, was drafted late in the 1st round. People were worried about his ability to pass in the NFL. It was the same for Tebow. If Jackson can prove to be a reliable pocket passer, which Tebow was unable to do, he will be an absolute beast in the NFL. If Murray's small size doesn't become an issue in the NFL, he will have a chance to dominate as well.
    Last edited by gerontion; 12-29-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Fair enough. Still, some QB warts are bigger and more worrisome than others. The perception may be changing because of guys like Wilson and Mayfield, but I imagine many teams would still be wary of Murray's lack of size, probably more so than Herbert's flawed throwing motion.
    Easier to add weight than change throwing motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I wouldn't because I worry about his size. The 5'10 is worrisome, but not nearly as much as the 195 pounds. QBs take a beating, often in prone positions while throwing, I worry that he would have trouble taking hits, especially since he'll get hit while scrambling to make other plays.

He's a Russell Wilson type player but 20 pounds lighter. I could be wrong, but that would scare me away from taking him.
    He's a young guy, so I wonder how much he could fill out in the NFL. 10 lbs? 15 lbs?

He's a young guy, so I wonder how much he could fill out in the NFL. 10 lbs? 15 lbs?
    If he can show up at the combine weighing around 205, and looking like he's been in the weight room constantly since the end of the season, I think he'll have a chance to go really really high. If he shows up around 195, then I think his stock drops considerably. And considerably for a QB means a lot less than for any other position.

I think the best size comparison is to Doug Flutie. Murray is slightly thicker than Flutie. The players are a little bigger now than they were then, but QBs are protected a lot more now than then. If I remember correctly, Flutie was pretty durable in the CFL and NFL and even the USFL. In all, despite his size he played 21 years of pro football, although many of his years in the NFL he was a backup. Still, 21 years is pretty impressive.

I think the size thing is way overrated. Flutie, Brees, Wilson and Baker have blown that out of the water. If the kid can make all the throws and learn to read defenses than I see no reason why he wouldn't or shouldn't be a top 5 pick.

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I think the size thing is way overrated. Flutie, Brees, Wilson and Baker have blown that out of the water. If the kid can make all the throws and learn to read defenses than I see no reason why he wouldn't or shouldn't be a top 5 pick.
    That's only 4 QBs though, out of how many? And in his first test against an NFL defense tonight he looks awful. The entire team does, but Murray looks so uptight right now.

That's only 4 QBs though, out of how many? And in his first test against an NFL defense tonight he looks awful. The entire team does, but Murray looks so uptight right now.
    LOL, I actually forgot that game was on....

Murray sure does look small out there doesn't he? I think if he added 10-15 pounds it would benefit him greatly. I want to see how this game plays out entirely because if he can mount a comeback against this team that will speak volumes about his ability to lead a team

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    LOL, I actually forgot that game was on....

Murray sure does look small out there doesn't he? I think if he added 10-15 pounds it would benefit him greatly. I want to see how this game plays out entirely because if he can mount a comeback against this team that will speak volumes about his ability to lead a team
    He's looking more settled in now and starting to make some plays. He had a pass batted down at the line and Herbstreit started talking about his height, he said "he's listed at 5'10 but there's no way he's 5'10" which isn't good for him. If he were to go to the combine and measure in at 5'9 teams would talk about moving him to slot receiver.

Murray settled in a bit and made a few nice plays. I doubt they’ll comeback to win but it will be interesting to see how Murray competes for the rest of the game.

Ok let's be honest bama def will make ANY QB out of the sec look bad. Greir, Herbert, Haskins, lock, Daniel. There is no one you can name that won't do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Ok let's be honest bama def will make ANY QB out of the sec look bad. Greir, Herbert, Haskins, lock, Daniel. There is no one you can name that won't do the same.
    He's settled down a little bit now, but we'll see how things end up. Hypotheticals in this situation don't really work since only Murray has played them out of conference.

Also Lock is an SEC QB, so I'm not really sure why you're listing him with the out of SEC guys? And yes he played poorly against them.