Pleasant Surprises This Season

Rough year but I thought we could just talk about guys who really showed a surprising amount of promise and really came into their own this season.

For me, Shelby Harris has been a very fortunate find for us on the D line. In a group with a lot of high picks and a decent amount of money spent Harris came out of nowhere with some dominant play when he got his chances. He will be a RFA this offseason and we should be able to keep him around, if not on a long term extension at least a tender. I'm excited to see him next season and how he could flourish with an expanded role.

Will Parks also showed some big time play making ability this season. He has all the physical tools to be a disruptive force on defense and I think this year he showed a pretty good knack for being in the right spot at the right time. Like Harris I am excited to see what he can do with an expanded role. I think we should expect him to be a leading candidate to be starting in the secondary next season.

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    Rough year but I thought we could just talk about guys who really showed a surprising amount of promise and really came into their own this season.

For me, Shelby Harris has been a very fortunate find for us on the D line. In a group with a lot of high picks and a decent amount of money spent Harris came out of nowhere with some dominant play when he got his chances. He will be a RFA this offseason and we should be able to keep him around, if not on a long term extension at least a tender. I'm excited to see him next season and how he could flourish with an expanded role.

Will Parks also showed some big time play making ability this season. He has all the physical tools to be a disruptive force on defense and I think this year he showed a pretty good knack for being in the right spot at the right time. Like Harris I am excited to see what he can do with an expanded role. I think we should expect him to be a leading candidate to be starting in the secondary next season.
    Shelby Harris reminds me of Malik Jackson a little bit. I feel like since Jackson left that's when the defense started to get worst. It hasn't been a lot of bright spots this season unfortunately.
    Go Hard or Go Home

I'd say Lindsay, Shelby, Wadman (he improved as the season went on), the replacement OL and Gotsis.

Lindsay was a pleasant surprise - I thought he would make the final roster but with limited snaps behind Freeman.

Chubb - expectations are high for top five picks however I think he played very well. He was a great prospect but I didn’t think he would reach 12 sacks.

Wadman started a bit rough but turned out to be a good punter - unfortunately we saw him too often.

McGovern wasn’t great but did about as well as you can expect moving to C.

Hamilton missed some time with injury but I saw tremendous toughness.

This is a great post. Surprised others have not responded. Let's look forward to 2019. Miller, Chubb, Harris, Sanders, Lindsey, Gotsis, Freeman, Sutton, Parks, maybe Simmons. There was a lot of good, just smeared by a ton of bad. I think we have the potential to be a great team, just need the leadership. Look forward to 2019.

Kirk Cousins. Glad we're not paying him all that money.

For me it comes in the form of 4 coaches. I know we've been talking about how poorly coached this team is, and it's true I think big picture they're not prepared weekly, but 4 coaches have their groups showing improvement.

The first 2 are the o-line coaches, the line was better this year than last. And while they do have a long way to go to be great, seeing some improvement is welcome. And between the Baltimore game (or so) and Today Bolles actually started to look the part of an average to above average LT. Today undid a lot of that, but seeing some streaks of it from him is encouraging.

The third coach is the RB coach. Under Studdesville we never saw the RBs come in and show improvement, and look to actually be getting better. This year we saw Booker start to look like he belongs on a 53 man roster, we saw a UDFA look like the best back the Broncos have had since Portis, and Freeman looked great before suffering a high ankle sprain.

The fourth coach is the WR coach. Denver hasn't had a WR develop since Decker and Thomas in 2010/2011. But this year we saw flashes from Sutton, Hamilton and Patrick. Sutton had an up and down year overall but you can see the talent, and Hamilton and Patrick got better as the season went on. As the three young WRs develop and get more reps it's easy to think that Denver has a nice trio of receivers ready for whatever QB they end up starting next year.

Will Parks is a dog out there. Yiadom wasn’t getting torched week in and week out and even had an INT today. Simmons at CB was at times our 2nd best CB behind Harris. Gotsis is continuing to improve. Turner and McGovern should start where they’re at next season with Leary at RG. Wilkinson has struggled with power at times but looks like he could develop into a swing OT. All 3 of our RBs have impressed me this season. Janovich is starting to show that he can be a weapon catching the ball. Sutton, Patrick, and Hamilton all flashed at WR and each bring something different to the table so they could be a nice group for a long time. I’m still not sure if our group of no name TEs were flashing because they’re good or because teams weren’t threatened by them at all but they filled in admirably.

Really outside of ILB and QB every group had someone that looked like they could be a very good player at times. Unfortunately a lot of them are young so consistency was an issue this season but I definitely think there’s a solid young core to build around.

I would love for DEN to add Devin White or Byron Murphy along with a QB (Jones, Lock, Rypian) with our first 2 picks. Just what the doctor ordered.

I thought most of the young players looked good... they may not all be starters, but they are at least quality depth.

Gotsis emerging as a force. Harris showing explosiveness. Yiadum flashed some skills.

Lindsay and Chubb are stars. Freeman, Sutton, Patrick, and Hamilton showed promise.

Undecided on Jewell. Could be something there tho.

The Wrs group looks promising. Mostly rookies but they look pretty good and hopefully make huge strides . What can I say about Taz, we won the lotto with him. I agree with Butler on the coaches he listed . We just have to put the pieces together . We really need a solid Qb.

Our O-line staying healthy would be amazing. I still think we need to start looking for a new LT because Bolles seems to make boneheaded plays at crucial times.

Taz was winning the RB lotto for sure for us.

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post

Good thread. There were eight young players on offense who got a lot of playing time in regular season games: Phillip Lindsay; Royce Freeman; Matt LaCossse; Brian Parker; Elijah Wilkinson; Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick; and, Daesean Hamilton. That is invaluable experience for a talented group.

Next year we'll see if Jake Butt and Troy Fumagalli can overcome injuries and contribute. River Cracraft got some valuable experience at the end of the season, too.

On defense, Chubb, Yiadom, Jewell, Holland and D. Thomas got valuable experience that will help them next season. There is no substitute for game snaps in the development of young players.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus