Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In His Grace
    Posts
    1,649

    When you watch the tape, what do you look for?

    I'm curious as I read opinions on the boards about QB prospects, what everyone looks for in a QB by just watching his tape? I've watch Lock, Haskins, Grier, and the duke kid and I was just wondering makes you like one guy over another. Arm strength, accuracy, athleticism, pocket presence, reading the defense, win /loss, starts, etc.

    Write down your first 4 qualities, in order from most important, and explain if you so desire why. Also, if you would like to plug a certain QB that encompasses those qualities, by all means, please do.

    Mine:

    1. Accuracy

    2. Making multiple reads

    3. Pocket presence

    4. Arm strength

    Due to these I would love a move up for Haskins, and I am not sold on Lock at all
    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    I'm curious as I read opinions on the boards about QB prospects, what everyone looks for in a QB by just watching his tape? I've watch Lock, Haskins, Grier, and the duke kid and I was just wondering makes you like one guy over another. Arm strength, accuracy, athleticism, pocket presence, reading the defense, win /loss, starts, etc.

    Write down your first 4 qualities, in order from most important, and explain if you so desire why. Also, if you would like to plug a certain QB that encompasses those qualities, by all means, please do.

    Mine:

    1. Accuracy

    2. Making multiple reads

    3. Pocket presence

    4. Arm strength

    Due to these I would love a move up for Haskins, and I am not sold on Lock at all
    1. Release
    2. Footwork
    3. Arm strength
    4. Accuracy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21,235
    #1 is accuracy. You can't coach that, imo
    #2. Ability to read a defense.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,181
    Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    #1 is accuracy. You can't coach that, imo
    #2. Ability to read a defense.
    The issue with QBs in college is it's kind of hard knowing if they can read a defense because the coach does all the looking for them.....if they dont run a pro style offense. All these RPO offenses are all scripted plays that they usually run no matter the defensive look.

    College QBs dont hardly ever call audibles and change the plays themselves, its always the coach changing the plays. We wont really know if they are good at reading defenses until they are in house and tested.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2,293
    1. Accuracy
    2. Arm Strength
    3. Mental
    4. Foot Work
    5. It Factor.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    21,235
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    The issue with QBs in college is it's kind of hard knowing if they can read a defense because the coach does all the looking for them.....if they dont run a pro style offense. All these RPO offenses are all scripted plays that they usually run no matter the defensive look.

    College QBs dont hardly ever call audibles and change the plays themselves, its always the coach changing the plays. We wont really know if they are good at reading defenses until they are in house and tested.
    agreed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,691
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    The issue with QBs in college is it's kind of hard knowing if they can read a defense because the coach does all the looking for them.....if they dont run a pro style offense. All these RPO offenses are all scripted plays that they usually run no matter the defensive look.

    College QBs dont hardly ever call audibles and change the plays themselves, its always the coach changing the plays. We wont really know if they are good at reading defenses until they are in house and tested.
    Yeah, I think it's more complex than just putting a general label on traits. To your point, Grier disappointed me this year, because I feel like Big 12 QBs should get all the tape they can against the best comp possible. Not saying the ACC, Pac12, and B1G are great across the board, but you're typically going to get a couple athletic, aggressive, and disciplined defenses. Some of these Big 12 games, it turns into vanilla safe pitch and catch with no pass rush, and you have to really start looking for something you didn't see in the last game.

    I'm just a guy who loves his team, doing this for fun in his down time. I don't have access to coaches film, and I'm far from an expert at breaking it down anyway. So I tend to be more general, and use what I've learned watching quarterbacks who've become good NFL players. For me, in the Barney-style terms to fit this thread, I'd go:

    1 Consistency - This encompasses a lot of things, of course, but I think any NFL quarterback will tell you that if you can't maintain consistency in every facet, you can't play.
    2 Arm Talent - This is assuming that the little things can be coached, and includes accuracy, because what I'm talking about is making all the throws. If you can't, NFL defenses will force you to make them.
    3 Anticipation - Throwing to a spot where the receiver will be. Throwing a receiver open. Throwing into the holes in zone coverage.
    4 Decision Making - Calculated risks. Knowing when to check, when to kill, when to take a shot. The reason it's not higher is because well...have you seen Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes play? If you're good or you have great receivers you can take more risks.

    If I had to do honorable mentions, I'd say that mobility is needed to extend plays and add dimensions offensively. Processing information is obviously important, but I feel can be developed to a degree. Pocket awareness is very important as well. Pocket awareness might be number 5 for me, but it is related to number 4.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    7,502
    My 4 traits is probably the same as yours. I also value year to year consistency and fiery leadership. Alll of those combined is why I prefer Will Grier the same way I preferred Baker Mayfield.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    My 4 traits is probably the same as yours. I also value year to year consistency and fiery leadership. Alll of those combined is why I prefer Will Grier the same way I preferred Baker Mayfield.
    Yeah, I think intangibles like passion for the game, leadership, and work ethic are things that can't really be taught, and are huge. I probably should've mentioned that in my post.

    Work ethic is not something we as fans are going to know about first hand, though. So, I guess it doesn't apply. Less tangible. lol.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,725
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    The issue with QBs in college is it's kind of hard knowing if they can read a defense because the coach does all the looking for them.....if they dont run a pro style offense. All these RPO offenses are all scripted plays that they usually run no matter the defensive look.

    College QBs dont hardly ever call audibles and change the plays themselves, its always the coach changing the plays. We wont really know if they are good at reading defenses until they are in house and tested.
    Exactly. College QBs in a spread offense rarely need to actually read a defense. They line up in a formation, fake a snap count then look to the sidelines to change the play because the coaching staff has read what the defense is likely to be and will call the play off of that.

    Then you add in that on almost every single the QB only has one player that he reads to identify coverage and where the ball is going. If the corner does this, you throw it there, if he does that you throw it here, if in doubt, run.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    15,956
    Its hard to say any one thing is more important than the other, you have to look at the whole picture and how they put everything together. But generally I like to look for:

    Composure ie does it ever look like they are overwhelmed (Cam in the Super Bowl, Keenum against Philly)
    Ball Placement
    Leading Targets/Anticipatory passes
    How quickly they process information after the snap
    Throwing motion
    Arm Strength in the short/intermediate passes
    Pocket awareness
    Footwork

    A franchise QB should check all those boxes aside from footwork coming out of college IMO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •