View Poll Results: What is the easiest hole to fix through free agency?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB

1 5.88%
  • CB

4 23.53%
  • ILB

8 47.06%
  • TE

0 0%
  • Coaching

5 29.41%
  • Something else.

1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I think this team has plenty to build on. On offense there is the obvious missing piece at QB and there is no guarantee that it gets fixed this offseason. While I have high hopes it does we all know its the hardest position to get right.

The positives....

Elway = for all the heat that some here put on him, he puts the heat on himself too and having the competitor that he is in place makes for a guy who will do what it takes to get the job done. With the cap space available this offseason and his willingness to make the necessary moves I expect this to be an aggressive offseason by him.

Lindsay/Freeman combo = I think no matter the head coach they look at this backfield and feel good about being able to move the ball on the ground. Having a good ground game is the coach's and QBs best friend

Good young group of WR's = Sutton and Hamilton will be here for a long time and I feel good about their ability to progress. Free agency usually always brings in some fresh talent and I fully expect Sanders to be here next season.

The obvious, edge rushers = Von and Chubb might just be the best edge rush combo in the whole league. With the speed of Von and the all around power of Chubb I expect these guys to dominate next season.

Gotsis/Kerr/Harris = These guys have progressed and are turning into a really talented group. Gotsis and Shelby especially, They are going to give Elway a reason to move on from the often injured Wolfe

The Meh....

The offensive line = I am one who doesn't really think that Bolles is all that bad. I know he holds a lot and may not be built for the left side but he is really good, imo, in the run game. I don't know if a change to the right side will fix anything but I think maybe a guy like Munchak could get the best out of him. Outside of Paradis I don't think there is much to brag about on the line and that is why I expect Elway to do some major shuffling around.

Safety = I really like Simmons but he can't do it on his own and I think they ask too much of him. I like Parks and some of the other young guys but, imo, Stewert needs to go

The bad.........

Quarterback = Need I say more??!?!?!!? It is bad and it is time to make a move in the draft and get one of the best. It will be a gamble no matter this year or 2020 or 2021 or 4000, taking a QB is always a gamble. This draft has some good ones regardless of what some think and well worth the gamble whether it's Haskins, Jones, Lock or Grier.....they are all right now better than what we currently roster.

Offensive line = I know they were under "meh" too but it has been a weak spot for years. Its time to get that back on track, I don't know if its been good since Tom Nalen was under center.

ILB = You know I love me some Jewell and I don't just think, I know he will be a good pro....But.....the other guys around him?? YIKES!! Marshall and Todd are bad and I'm not even sure they would be good backups at the moment. No question this needs to be a major priority this offseason

Defensive backs = Just like Simmons, Harris can't do it all and he's getting older. The depth is bad and it is in need of a major overhaul
    I agree except for Davis being that bad. He's not a star by any stretch but did step his game this year. He could be worthy of a vet minimum deal and used primarily in running downs or rotational roles. Marshall is done!

A path to win now

OK - Hear me out as I've been thinking about this none stop since Nick 'I only win big games' Foles decided to shake up the prospect of another great QB free agent this summer.

So we're currently in a 'transition' period or 'mini re-build' and some think we should trade/ cut all our old players and stock pile cap space and picks to load the team up for 2021 when we can draft a future franchise QB and go to town.

However - what if we go after Nick Foles in FA. Yes, I am assuming the guy will hit FA and this is why.
    1. He has an option to buy ($2 million) out of his final $20million option year IF the Eagles exercise it.
    2. The Eagles won't do that - they'll either offer him a new 3 - 5 year deal and trade Wentz or more likely stick with their number 2 overall pick and let Foles go.
    - I'm not saying that's the smart thing, personally I'd keep Foles, pay him now and get two first rounders for Wentz who will be getting PAID in 2 years anyway.

The Broncos right now have a $37 million in cap space for 2019 - now Foles will be commanding around $60 - $70 million for 3 years and close to $100 for 5. The Broncos will free up 11 million if they dump Keenum ($21m hit with $10m dead cap next year) Plus you can front load it with a signing bonus that doesn't touch the cap.

This also keeps space for any free agent targets in the summer - One to consider Earl Thomas, I know, he's 30 blah blah - we need some swag back on Defense and he's got a lot to prove after the Seattle debacle - So maybe pay him 3 years and see if he can help with our young guys.

Finally - go big in the draft on O-Line as there are NONE in FA.

Ok - back to being an internet GM

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighFive View Post
    OK - Hear me out as I've been thinking about this none stop since Nick 'I only win big games' Foles decided to shake up the prospect of another great QB free agent this summer.

So we're currently in a 'transition' period or 'mini re-build' and some think we should trade/ cut all our old players and stock pile cap space and picks to load the team up for 2021 when we can draft a future franchise QB and go to town.

However - what if we go after Nick Foles in FA. Yes, I am assuming the guy will hit FA and this is why.
    1. He has an option to buy ($2 million) out of his final $20million option year IF the Eagles exercise it.
    2. The Eagles won't do that - they'll either offer him a new 3 - 5 year deal and trade Wentz or more likely stick with their number 2 overall pick and let Foles go.
    - I'm not saying that's the smart thing, personally I'd keep Foles, pay him now and get two first rounders for Wentz who will be getting PAID in 2 years anyway.

The Broncos right now have a $37 million in cap space for 2019 - now Foles will be commanding around $60 - $70 million for 3 years and close to $100 for 5. The Broncos will free up 11 million if they dump Keenum ($21m hit with $10m dead cap next year) Plus you can front load it with a signing bonus that doesn't touch the cap.

This also keeps space for any free agent targets in the summer - One to consider Earl Thomas, I know, he's 30 blah blah - we need some swag back on Defense and he's got a lot to prove after the Seattle debacle - So maybe pay him 3 years and see if he can help with our young guys.

Finally - go big in the draft on O-Line as there are NONE in FA.

Ok - back to being an internet GM

Sorry No to Nick Fools Gold Folles.

The Path to win will take some time. What is needed is the Right Coach, A QB that has accuracy and can throw TD's not INT's. Denver will need a CB or 2 and some LB's who can cover a TE so truth be told the Path will take us a while to get there !

Based on what?

He was Superbowl MVP last year -
    He's won 5 of 6 games he started this year including an upset in Chi in the wild card where he led a winning drive. His TD/ INT is 9/6 comp % over last 4 games since he took over (62, 84, 71, 77 All wins) He also wins while being able to throw it over 30 sometimes 40 times per game.

What is the better option? Stick with Keenum who constantly looks surprised to be here or on the field - was 18/15 TD/ INT. Comp % 62 and most of his stats came in garbage time this year. He wilts under pressure and is going to be the weakest link if he's still here next year.

Based on what?

He was Superbowl MVP last year -
    He's won 5 of 6 games he started this year including an upset in Chi in the wild card where he led a winning drive. His TD/ INT is 9/6 comp % over last 4 games since he took over (62, 84, 71, 77 All wins) He also wins while being able to throw it over 30 sometimes 40 times per game.

What is the better option? Stick with Keenum who constantly looks surprised to be here or on the field - was 18/15 TD/ INT. Comp % 62 and most of his stats came in garbage time this year. He wilts under pressure and is going to be the weakest link if he's still here next year.
    Elway is done experimenting with 30+ year old question marks. I've stated my opinion in several areas in the forum's on Foles so I dont really feel the need to repeat them other than......no

They need to admit they're in a rebuild mode and just rebuild. You can't half a++ a rebuild. Go get a guy you want long term to build around and start the process. The continuing of signing bridge guys or going cheap at the position has put them where they are now.IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    They need to admit they're in a rebuild mode and just rebuild. You can't half a++ a rebuild. Go get a guy you want long term to build around and start the process. The continuing of signing bridge guys or going cheap at the position has put them where they are now.IMHO.
    So actually the problem has been miss identifying young guys. we're in the situation because of the draft class QBs mainly Paxton the priate Lynch. The Broncos have gone out twice for 'older' QBs - one delivered 3 solid seasons and a Superbowl, the second, well - cough, cough...

There is no stand out QB in this years draft - or anyone I think the Broncos are excited to trade up for. The biggest O Linman hit on our cap next year is Bolles!! That is what we need to address before anything else IF we get a QB in FA

So actually the problem has been miss identifying young guys. we're in the situation because of the draft class QBs mainly Paxton the priate Lynch. The Broncos have gone out twice for 'older' QBs - one delivered 3 solid seasons and a Superbowl, the second, well - cough, cough...

There is no stand out QB in this years draft - or anyone I think the Broncos are excited to trade up for. The biggest O Linman hit on our cap next year is Bolles!! That is what we need to address before anything else IF we get a QB in FA
    But grabbing another free agent QB to replace a sub par free agent QB is just kicking the can down the road. If Foles goes to another team, Im pretty sure what offense that team runs will be a factor. Not a lot of RPO going on here, and depending on who is the OC, Im not sure they will create/adapt the type of offense he thrives in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    But grabbing another free agent QB to replace a sub par free agent QB is just kicking the can down the road. If Foles goes to another team, I’m pretty sure what offense that team runs will be a factor. Not a lot of RPO going on here, and depending on who is the OC, I’m not sure they will create/adapt the type of offense he thrives in.
    All good points.

Here's the problem we have. No one in charge at the Broncos will admit its a re-build nor will they do the painful things needed in a rebuild - such as cut / trade all the big names. They think we're a couple solid players (QB being one) away from a run. So my post was based on that. Personally I think we cut all the fat, stock pile some cap space, take a QB or OL in the first rounds and start the slow, boring rebuild.

That's not what Elway wants based on his moves so far. One being our top two candidates are older coaches - do you think they're here for a 3 year rebuild?