Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tony Lilly Memories

How fearsome of a safety was he? Any particular one thing about Tony stand out?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBrennan89 View Post
    I remember how badly he played in Super Bowl XXII - his last game.

For some strange reason (old age) I have no memory of him.....😂😂😂

He had no business being on an NFL roster. Dude was horrible in pass coverage, an average tackler, at best.

I just remember Bo Jackson running by him on every dang play!

Tony was groomed to take over for Steve Foley at free safety for several seasons. He did well in spot duty but when Foley retired in 87 Lilly struggled as a starter. He was a good leader and ok in coverage but let's say not the surest tackler.
    He was out of position and took bad angles in super bowl 22. He and Ricky Hunley were scapegoated and run out of Denver the following off season. He will always have a place in NFL history as the guy chasing Timmy Smith in Super Bowl videos.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    I just remember Bo Jackson running by him on every dang play!
    Bo could run by EVERYBODY back in the day!
    oh YEAH?

Steve Foley, yes. Tony Lilly, no.

In fact I am very curious why Lilly, and not players like Billy Thompson, or Lonnie Hepburn, or Tyrone Braxton, or Randy Robbins would even come up. I can only think of one reason.

In any case, Lilly was a marginal player who proved to be a short-lived disappointment in his 4 years in the NFL

I'm trying to figure out why this thread exists? Did you just pull the name out of a hat or what?

Tony Lilly was otherworldly awful. Watch the super bowl against the Skins in 88 I believe. The only people that feared Lilly were his teammates...every time they saw him on the field.

Yeah, I almost thought maybe he had passed away and the original poster was looking for memories. But right now, this kind of feels like a thread to bash a little known player for the sole purpose of embarrassment; almost like cyber bullying

Quote Originally Posted by diesel51 View Post
    Yeah, I almost thought maybe he had passed away and the original poster was looking for memories. But right now, this kind of feels like a thread to bash a little known player for the sole purpose of embarrassment; almost like cyber bullying
    My conspiracy theory is that this Message Board has many fake User Names that the Board uses to "create" a phony topic with the hope that a slow day for the Denver Broncos Message Board might pick up a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    My conspiracy theory is that this Message Board has many fake User Names that the Board uses to "create" a phony topic with the hope that a slow day for the Denver Broncos Message Board might pick up a little bit.
    and this is the topic of conversation to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    and this is the topic of conversation to do that?
    You and I are both Posting here. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    I don't think any of the mods would complain about a slow day.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBrennan89 View Post

Be careful. I heard about a guy acting like an ex bronco scandaling women and stealing their money. Better keep an eye on that Tony!