Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Can the Broncos find a QB of the future and what does he look like

For an organisation as proud and successful as the Broncos, our ability to draft quarterbacks has to say the least been underwhelming. There is a lot of noise from people that cannot get rid of Keenum fast enough and the same has been true for every QB that has played for us not named Elway or Manning. We seem to have our success tied to QB's drafted #1 overall by the Colts, but are we waiting for Andrew Luck to break so much down physically that Colts will let go of him?

Woody wrote a great piece last offseason mentioning the 42 QBs Broncos have drafted, and the fact that only one of those has taken the team to the playoffs and won there.

The Broncos always have been awful at drafting quarterbacks in the first, second, third, fourth rounds – and beyond.

The franchise has had a remarkable run with Morton, Elway, Plummer and Manning. All four had winning records and combined for 38 playoff games, 10 AFC Championship games and eight Super Bowls (three triumphs).

Morton was 34 when he joined the Broncos, and Manning was 36 in his first season in Denver. Elway was 23, and Plummer was 28.
    How will we find the QB of the future, and do we actually trust anyone in the organization to find him?

As Woody writes "Since 1992, the Broncos have drafted five quarterbacks in the first two rounds. Only one has been a starter in post-season games with Denver. And, after one playoff victory one loss in 2011, Tim Tebow was jettisoned to the Jets the next season.

The other four were Tommy Maddox (’92), Jay Cutler (’06), Brock Osweiler (’12) and Paxton Lynch (’16). In fact, of the 42 quarterbacks drafted by the Broncos in 58 previous years, only one other than Tebow ever played in a post-season game. Gary Kubiak, selected in the eighth round in 1983, appeared in 11 playoff games as a backup to John Elway."

What should we learn from the draft of Tommy Maddox (’92), Jay Cutler (’06) and Paxton Lynch (’16) and why they failed to have any success. What was it with Griese, Orton, Siemian and Keenum that defines, why we never surpassed bad to mediocre with them?

What should we learn from the history and how do we stop repeating the failures?

It's no coincidence that the ONE drafted QB to win a playoff game was a "gamble" based on a vision of what he could do. Tebow was magic and it was kind of a shame we gave up on him. No, I'm not saying he was the next Elway, but he was certainly a better one than Paxton Lynch. When you go after a QB you have to have an instinct and a belief in what he can do. Seems pretty obvious we went for the safe, combine numbers, choice. No guts, no glory.

The FO loved Mayfield last year and that is a sign of growth. They weren't valuing the sexy traits like size and arm strength as much as demonstrated proficiency at the position and leadership.

For this very reason I think they will target Will Grier. Bring in Zac Taylor and his evolved Shanny offense, have him and Kubiak work on developing Grier, and compete for a championship for the next decade.

What we need to draft is a winning attitude, work ethic, solid arm, and one who's shown the ability to throw a receiver open and into very tight places under pressure. When we find the guy we have to go get him. If that means moving up and throwing additional draft choices to get there - DO IT. Sitting on the sidelines is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    The FO loved Mayfield last year and that is a sign of growth. They weren't valuing the sexy traits like size and arm strength as much as demonstrated proficiency at the position and leadership.

For this very reason I think they will target Will Grier. Bring in Zac Taylor and his evolved Shanny offense, have him and Kubiak work on developing Grier, and compete for a championship for the next decade.
    I could be wrong but I don't remember the front office ever saying they thought Mayfield was their guy. If they believed that what kind of trade did they offer Cleveland to get him? And, that's assuming they knew he would go 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop_Block View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't remember the front office ever saying they thought Mayfield was their guy. If they believed that what kind of trade did they offer Cleveland to get him? And, that's assuming they knew he would go 1.
    Cleveland was never trading down so I'm sure no offer was made. It was pretty well known leading up the draft the staff liked Mayfield a lot, that doesn't mean it was remotely possible though.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Cleveland was never trading down so I'm sure no offer was made. It was pretty well known leading up the draft the staff liked Mayfield a lot, that doesn't mean it was remotely possible though.
    After some research, I stand corrected. I do think Baker was 1 on our list but that still doesn't take away the sting of not going after one of the others.

I think it's worth throwing out there that the Broncos have historically been a pretty successful franchise, and have one of the richest quarterback histories. We just had our first back to back losing seasons since the early 70's, while Peyton and Elway are unquestionably two of the top 10 quarterbacks of all time (probably top 5). Few teams can say the same about their quarterbacks and winning history. I think that goes a long way towards explaining why we've had limited success drafting post season quarterbacks.

Considering that Lynch and Tebow are the only two on that list of 1st and 2nd rounders who the NFL basically said can't play, I don't think it's been that bad. Tebow even won a playoff game. Maddox and Osweiler became solid backups, and Cutler was a career starter. If we dig into the 3rd round, Griese was a serviceable starter, who also became a solid backup.

You look at our trade/free agency success with Morton, Elway, Plummer, and Manning. That's long collective period of success where we weren't in position or market for a high value prospect in the draft.

If I had my say, I wouldn't compete for Haskins. I'd stay put and see if Grier falls. Moving back into the tail end of the 1st round or seeing if Lock falls to the second would be a consideration for me as well. I like Haskins the most primarily because of his progression as a first year starter. I wouldn't try to compete for a trade up scenario, because it's just not in the cards, Idt. Our draft position compared to other teams with QB need just didn't shake out favorably, IMO. I do like Grier, though many will disagree that he's worth a 10th overall pick, and perhaps trading down would be an option there. With quarterbacks however, supply and demand dictates a higher value, and if that's a guy you like, you trust your evaluation and take the risk.

Jay Cutler is the best QB ever drafted by the Broncos and we could not keep him in the organization for more than 3 seasons thanks to a dysfunctional management. The Broncos don't have a history of drafting and developing QBs. The last two QBs drafted by the Broncos in the 1st round, Tim Tebow and Paxton Lynch, were out of the league in 3 years and 2 years respectively. We don't even have continuity on offense in terms of system. 2019 will bring the 5th offensive system in 6 years. I did not grow up watching John Elway play QB, so I am not emotionally attached to him like the other fans. If he can't fix his own mess in a couple of years, I would not be against cleaning house to build a front office with a GM that has a real scouting background and a plan to draft and develop a young QB with system continuity.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Jay Cutler is the best QB ever drafted by the Broncos and we could not keep him in the organization for more than 3 seasons thanks to a dysfunctional management. The Broncos don't have a history of drafting and developing QBs. The last two QBs drafted by the Broncos in the 1st round, Tim Tebow and Paxton Lynch, were out of the league in 3 years and 2 years respectively. We don't even have continuity on offense in terms of system. 2019 will bring the 5th offensive system in 6 years. I did not grow up watching John Elway play QB, so I am not emotionally attached to him like the other fans. If he can't fix his own mess in a couple of years, I would not be against cleaning house to build a front office with a GM that has a real scouting background and a plan to draft and develop a young QB with system continuity.
    What would you think if he traded for Stafford w/o giving up the farm? I know you aren't down with another year of Keenum. lol. You've been pretty vocal on that one, and I'd be hard pressed to find five fans in here who disagree.

He could look like this...........

He could look like this.........

Or........

Or.........

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    What would you think if he traded for Stafford w/o giving up the farm? I know you aren't down with another year of Keenum. lol. You've been pretty vocal on that one, and I'd be hard pressed to find five fans in here who disagree.
    I think trading for Stafford is not an option, based on his GM's comments:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

To the op...Plummer does not go with Morton, Elway and Manning... we elevate him so much....and was not that good..

Back tot the topic...

We have to hit on at least an above average qb soon enough.., it’s getting ridiculous considering Manning’s last season and beyond.. ( he was terrible but had enough football knowledge to keep us alive on O)
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Seems to me that drafting a QB really boils down to a crap shoot at best.

My first response is just get Elway out of the room when it comes down to choosing that QB. Maybe it's not all on him, but I put a lot of it on Elway. I heard he wanted Cousins, but wasn't allowed to make it happen. Supposedly, he was high on Baker too, but wouldn't have been able to get to #1 to get him. There's a few decent game managers to be gotten in free agency, but I'm hoping for someone in the draft. The way this team is currently built, I think it'll have to be a mobile QB that can extend plays and take off running when necessary. It's doubtful we'll find a Mahommes, but someone like that is needed. Our Oline is terrible at times. Bolles likely has to switch positions or just get rid of him. The Oline needs too much help to draft simply a pocket passer, because he'll get killed and probably not develop. I think the guy has to be mobile, but not necessarily a running QB.