Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    Everyone knew tebow would suck and josh didnt have a clue on what he was doing. Nobody but Elway wanted lynch. You use two examples. What about philly for carson, Houston for Watson, kc for Pat, chi for Mitchel, jets for darnold, we need a QB. Damn any def player. I'm our def played pretty good last year. We couldn't score. And we kept going 3 and out. Forget any def player in the first get us a qb period.
    Nowhere in my Post did I mention the "t-word". And the people who chose him are long gone.

As to Elway being the only person in the Front Office who wanted Lynch? I don't know, as I wasn't there. Were you? If not, then prove it with a link.

Best Player Available at a position of need is the only way to go. That's a proven fact. If it happens to be a QB, then fine. If it's a Defensive player that falls into our lap like last year, then that's the way you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
    What does our QB of the future look like?

Don't know....Can't see him behind that monstrous offensive line we built this year.

Build The Wall Elway!!!
    Munchak alone makes our line better. Add a couple FAs and mid round picks and let Munch coach them up.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Munchak alone makes our line better. Add a couple FAs and mid round picks and let Munch coach them up.
    This equates to trying the same thing and expecting different results. I am "SUGGESTING" that this area of concern be made a focal point! A Priority!! A Must Do!!!

Literally any QB can make throws if he has time and any receiver can get open if you give him enough time and any running back can run through huge gaps. Maybe not any, but most.

I hope I've made my point.
    [

So what does anyone think about Tyree Jackson? Never had a QB rating below 105 & for John he's tall! Only 6 ft 7 inches. Maybe in 3rd or 4th rd?
    Bronco Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ear2dastreets View Post
    But you trust greir jones, and lock right. Lololol... ok
    I don't know Jones as I don't recall watching an entire game with him. But I watched several Lock games and several Haskins games and that's why I believe Lock is a better prospect. The scouts will know much better than any of us and they need to be pounding the table for their guy and hopefully we'll get one.
    I really only brought up the Haskins stuff as I saw a number of people talking about him here and based on my limited observation, I don't think the guy can play QB in the NFL. For example. Terelle Pryor was a better QB than Haskins in big, tough games IMO. I've been wrong about players more times than right because I don't do the due diligence the scouts do and I only see the games my lazy butt allows me to sit and watch and I watch far more Big 10 and SEC and than any other conference.
    Heck I thought Flynn would be a pro bowl QB in the NFL and I missed that one big.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I don't think you move up this year, If your guy is there at 10 grab him, if not BPA, and dont worry, we got #4 at QB.

The point many of us are making is IF he's your guy, he WON'T be there at 10 because the other 4 teams in the market for QB will jump ahead and get him. If he does fall to 10, which is possible, then consider it luck. BUT, you can't sit on 10 and treat a QB draft as, Well, if he falls to us we'll take him otherwise we'll take a cb...
    You could pick an all-pro corner, future HOF, and it wouldn't match picking up a franchise QB to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Socnorb11 View Post
    The Broncos traded up for Tebow and Lynch. How'd that work out?
    They also traded up for Elway....

Quote Originally Posted by Socnorb11 View Post
    The Broncos traded up for Tebow and Lynch. How'd that work out?

How a previous draft worked out is irrelevant. Regardless of where the "experts" think you will take your guy, you make damn sure you get him first, you do not want to lose him to another team who has the same need.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 01-27-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Nowhere in my Post did I mention the "t-word". And the people who chose him are long gone.

As to Elway being the only person in the Front Office who wanted Lynch? I don't know, as I wasn't there. Were you? If not, then prove it with a link.

Best Player Available at a position of need is the only way to go. That's a proven fact. If it happens to be a QB, then fine. If it's a Defensive player that falls into our lap like last year, then that's the way you go.
    The 60s called and they want their scouting dept chief back.. Sorry for the sarcasm, but good grief, the QB in today's game is NOT a typical building block. Free agency, better scouting information, and salary cap mgmt have made the QB position sooooo critical, you are unlikely to win without one. You might get lucky in a year and have such a powerful defense you can hold off teams enough to win or build a powerful running game and stay in games for long periods and win your share of games - even make it to the playoffs. But you won't keep that defense together or your RB is going to get injured, etc.. The one constant you can count on and build a team around is the QB.
    The BPA in a position of need isn't bad for all positions EXCEPT the QB. If your scouts don't think our guy is in this years' draft, then fine, draft a position player, but if the QB is there you'd better get him and, if you believe in him, there isn't a cost too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    How a previous draft worked out is irrelevant. Regardless of where the "experts" think you will take your guy, you make damn sure you get him first, you do not want to lose him to another team who has the same need.
    Absolutely correct. I think we are all very sour over the Lynch debacle because it was so glaring, but that mistake is in the past. It's not the last draft mistake we'll make. In the case of QB you HAVE to keep trying until you get it right.

Cleveland Browns since they came back in the league is a team with historically bad QB play according to most, so lets look at their first round draft picks:
    1. 1999 Tim Couch - #1 overall played pretty well until he hurt his shoulder and then never really came back
    2. 2007 Brady Quinn - drafted at 22 he played quite a few games and several teams tried him as well. He never panned out.
    3. 2012 Brandon Weeden - drafted 22 and he had an arm but never seemed to get it done. He's still in the league as a backup though.
    4. 2014 Johnny Manziel - also drafted at 22. We all know the story. I guess he's playing in Canada now.
    5. 2018 Baker Mayfield - #1 overall and, so far, looks to be a very good selection in a very strong QB draft.

So, in 19 years the Browns drafted 5 first round QBs and 2 of them were #1 overall. It may be telling that the 2 most successful ones were those #1 overall selections and all the rest were drafted at 22. And, I'd say all 5 of them had some degree of success with the exception of Manziel. This franchise has had ownership changes, chaos at coaching and GMs and presumably a pretty poor scouting dept over those 19 years. And, yet, looking at all that they really haven't done that poorly in selecting QBs. Tim Couch's injury was bad luck and Manziel was, well, a Lynch style foul up, but otherwise they continued to charge ahead trying to get that QB.
    Fortunately for the Browns they didn't let the Manziel experience keep them from drafting (or trading down) Mayfield.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post

A new ranking of the top 50 prospects following the Senior Bowl has Devin White at #9 and Jonah Williams #10. Drew Lock ranked #37. Lock will most likely be drafted in the top 10 however the ranking illustrates the potential for teams reaching for a quarterback early in the draft. I would much rather draft the best player available and fill a need. I donít see any quarterback talented enough to trade up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    A new ranking of the top 50 prospects following the Senior Bowl has Devin White at #9 and Jonah Williams #10. Drew Lock ranked #37. Lock will most likely be drafted in the top 10 however the ranking illustrates the potential for teams reaching for a quarterback early in the draft. I would much rather draft the best player available and fill a need. I don’t see any quarterback talented enough to trade up.
    So, what's the solution? Roll with Keenum and hope he repeats what he did in Minny? There's Flacco or Foles, but the former seems washed up to me and the latter hasn't done much outside of Philly. Should we just wait for the 2020 crop of QBs like Tua, Fromm, and Herbert? I don't know what the best option is, but I do know that our current QB situation automatically puts us at a disadvantage against the likes of Mahomes and Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop_Block View Post
    The point many of us are making is IF he's your guy, he WON'T be there at 10 because the other 4 teams in the market for QB will jump ahead and get him. If he does fall to 10, which is possible, then consider it luck. BUT, you can't sit on 10 and treat a QB draft as, Well, if he falls to us we'll take him otherwise we'll take a cb...
    You could pick an all-pro corner, future HOF, and it wouldn't match picking up a franchise QB to the team.
    I don't think we Should move up this draft, (JMO).

There are 4 or 5 decent QB's at least, this year.
    (Take the BPA at 10)

It looks like #4 will be starting the season for us next year anyway ?

I was already of this impression before yesterday but after watching his senior bowl performance it better not look like Will Grier.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I was already of this impression before yesterday but after watching his senior bowl performance it better not look like Will Grier.
    I'm with you on that.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above