Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Free Agency: Teddy Bridgewatter

Draft: take your pick. You probably need to trade up for the #1 guy which most people think is Haskins (I personally like Lock)

Here are the very recent WalterFootball mock drafts, pertaining to QBs and our pick:

6. NYG - Dwayne Haskins

7. Jags - Drew Lock

10. Broncos - Jeffery Simmons DT

13. Miami - Daniel Jones

It is interesting how this mock described the Herbert situation: "in the wake of Justin Herbert's horrible decision."

Here's the other analyst's (Charlie Campbell) take on things:

6. NYG - also Haskins

7. Jags - also Lock

10. Broncos - Daniel Jones

What is also mentioned is that it is very possible that some team will move up ahead of The Giants...and that could be us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dan View Post
    Seems to me that drafting a QB really boils down to a crap shoot at best.
    John Dorsey was the director of college scouting when the Packers stopped Aaron Rodgers' slide. He was the Chiefs GM when they moved up for Patrick Mahomes and drafted Baker Mayfield as the Browns GM. Recently, besides the Chiefs, other teams like the Rams, Eagles and Texans also made aggressive moves in the draft to get their QBs around the top 10, and all of them have found a starting QB.

In recent years, it looks like the mistakes happen when teams force the pick with a QB that was not considered a top-10 value. That probably means the player is not viewed as a 1st-round, franchise QB, because those go early, but a desperate GM can't control himself and forces the pick. Tim Tebow, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch.

There are enough teams finding their starting QBs in the 1st round for me to believe that some organizations know what they're doing and it's not a crapshoot.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

It isn't just the Broncos that historically had trouble drafting QBs.

The Raiders drafted Kenny Stabler decades ago and he was pretty much their only successful QB they drafted, not counting Carr.

IIRC, Mahomes is the first good QB the Chiefs have ever drafted. They didn't draft Len Dawson.

The only AFC West team with good success drafting QBs is San Diego/LA. They drafted Fouts, Brees and Rivers, and I'd add John Hadl to that group. Ironically, they are also the only team from the AFC West that hasn't won a Super Bowl.

First off sign Zac Taylor as head coach he has experience developing QB's. Let him draft our next QB.

Experience in the NFL and his job developing Miami Dolphins Quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Under Taylor's mentoring, Tannehill had set many team records, including being the only Miami QB to throw for 3,000 yards in four straight seasons and being only the second Miami QB with multiple 3,000-yard seasons, as well as totaling the third-most passing yards for a QB in his first four seasons in NFL history, with 15,460

Many will argue that Tannehill is not a top tier QB, but I question the Dolphin organization, their commitment and level of that team. The RAMS Currently have a QB in Jarod Goff, and yes they have Tood Gurley as top tier RB, Their defense is solid with Arron Donald (With you know who as a Def.Coor.)

Not saying our success will mirror them,but they had Case Keenum as there QB prior to drafting Goff. But they also in 2017 replaced there entire coaching staff.

ELWAY do something so extravagant by Signing Zac Taylor Our new Young head coach that is innovating can develop a QB and will bring the team back to the future with some new ideas. With Kubiak as a OC we can improve significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    It isn't just the Broncos that historically had trouble drafting QBs.

The Raiders drafted Kenny Stabler decades ago and he was pretty much their only successful QB they drafted, not counting Carr.

IIRC, Mahomes is the first good QB the Chiefs have ever drafted. They didn't draft Len Dawson.

The only AFC West team with good success drafting QBs is San Diego/LA. They drafted Fouts, Brees and Rivers, and I'd add John Hadl to that group. Ironically, they are also the only team from the AFC West that hasn't won a Super Bowl.
    Great post. The Playoff teams this year have had some good drafting but definitely not all of them.....

Chicago-Trubisky has to be the best QB since McMahon and I wouldn't call him fantastic.
    Rams-Goff and drafted Vince Ferragamo, definitely not a HOF QB.
    Saints Archie Manning, That was a long time ago.
    Cowboys Staubach and Aikman, Danny White, Craig Morton (Denver thanks you) and Prescott maybe. They wanted Paxton Lynch too.
    Eagles Wentz though he is hurt a lot and McNabb, maybe Jaws.
    Seahawks Russel Wilson, Dave Krieg?

Pats Brady and Bledsoe, but before that Grogan and Plunkett, who really wasn't much until Oakland got him.
    Colts Elway, Manning, and Luck then way back Unitas. We are happy about the first 2.
    Texans Watson so far,
    Chargers above
    Chiefs above
    Ravens Kosar, Flacco really early to tell on Lamar Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    Great post. The Playoff teams this year have had some good drafting but definitely not all of them.....

Chicago-Trubisky has to be the best QB since McMahon and I wouldn't call him fantastic.
    Rams-Goff and drafted Vince Ferragamo, definitely not a HOF QB.
    Saints Archie Manning, That was a long time ago.
    Cowboys Staubach and Aikman, Danny White, Craig Morton (Denver thanks you) and Prescott maybe. They wanted Paxton Lynch too.
    Eagles Wentz though he is hurt a lot and McNabb, maybe Jaws.
    Seahawks Russel Wilson, Dave Krieg?

Pats Brady and Bledsoe, but before that Grogan and Plunkett, who really wasn't much until Oakland got him.
    Colts Elway, Manning, and Luck then way back Unitas. We are happy about the first 2.
    Texans Watson so far,
    Chargers above
    Chiefs above
    Ravens Kosar, Flacco really early to tell on Lamar Jackson
    Actually Ron Jaworsky was drafted by the Rams in the second round and played there the first 3 years of his career.

Unitas was drafted by the Steelers in the 9th. But I'd give the Colts credit for Bert Jones, who I thought was a really good QB that just didn't beat the Steelers or Raiders in the 1970s.

It goes to show that there are more ways to get good QBs than drafting them high in the first round and we've never drafted a really good QB in any round.

Drafting a QB high does help the odds, but it's far from a sure thing and missing on a QB in the first round of the draft probably sets a franchise back more than any other single thing.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    John Dorsey was the director of college scouting when the Packers stopped Aaron Rodgers' slide. He was the Chiefs GM when they moved up for Patrick Mahomes and drafted Baker Mayfield as the Browns GM. Recently, besides the Chiefs, other teams like the Rams, Eagles and Texans also made aggressive moves in the draft to get their QBs around the top 10, and all of them have found a starting QB.

In recent years, it looks like the mistakes happen when teams force the pick with a QB that was not considered a top-10 value. That probably means the player is not viewed as a 1st-round, franchise QB, because those go early, but a desperate GM can't control himself and forces the pick. Tim Tebow, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch.

There are enough teams finding their starting QBs in the 1st round for me to believe that some organizations know what they're doing and it's not a crapshoot.
    The Browns drafted nothing but busts for 20 years until they finally got it right with Mayfield.

The Bills are still looking for Jim Kelly's replacement.

The Dolphins are still looking for Dan Marino's replacement.

It took the Giants 15 years to find a good replacement for Phil Simms, namely Eli Manning.

Jacksonville has never drafted a a good starter.

Detroit has drafted one good starting QB since the 70s.

lvbronx and WYBRONCO have already listed some other teams that have struggled drafting quality starting QBs. Finding one is indeed very hard to do.
    Last edited by gerontion; 01-04-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    I think trading for Stafford is not an option, based on his GM's comments:

As long as Keenum is the starter here, the only Sunday games we'll be watching are the ones that don't include the months of January or February. That is a guarantee. I also want a QB in this year's draft. I hope it isn't Drew Lock that Elway has scouted the most, but if it is, he needs to start at least by week 4 in my opinion. Next season I don't expect to make playoffs or even a winning season, but there needs to be some sign of growth and stability at the QB position.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    What would you think if he traded for Stafford w/o giving up the farm? I know you aren't down with another year of Keenum. lol. You've been pretty vocal on that one, and I'd be hard pressed to find five fans in here who disagree.
    How would you get Stafford without trading the farm? That's like the 49ers coming to us and asking if we'll give up Von Miller for a 4th round pick.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    As long as Keenum is the starter here, the only Sunday games we'll be watching are the ones that don't include the months of January or February. That is a guarantee. I also want a QB in this year's draft. I hope it isn't Drew Lock that Elway has scouted the most, but if it is, he needs to start at least by week 4 in my opinion. Next season I don't expect to make playoffs or even a winning season, but there needs to be some sign of growth and stability at the QB position.
    Agree. It might be more worthwhile to go with a drafed QB and develop him as the roster gets rebuilt. I almost see the FO needing to blow things up a little to get things turned around. We eat 8-8 or worse for a year or two to get the long term team put together. I don't see the "we're only a QB away" anymore. We have a lot of holes to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    How would you get Stafford without trading the farm? That's like the 49ers coming to us and asking if we'll give up Von Miller for a 4th round pick.
    Did that actually happen or something?

Quote Originally Posted by AZBobalu View Post
    Agree. It might be more worthwhile to go with a drafed QB and develop him as the roster gets rebuilt. I almost see the FO needing to blow things up a little to get things turned around. We eat 8-8 or worse for a year or two to get the long term team put together. I don't see the "we're only a QB away" anymore. We have a lot of holes to fill.
    FA and The Draft - I am hoping we go QB with our #1 pick, and fill the following positions via FA and/or draft.....ILB, Oliner, WR, TE, Dback(s), DT. We can get those players, and if we do, I am very optimistic about making a run in 2 seasons.

If VJ gets the coaching job in Cleveland Mayfield may be more of a reality than most think he is... Mayfield is a winner and will want to play for a winning team. If we have a good 2019, even with Keenum still here ( God forbid) then after a losing season at Cleveland Mayfield may want traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    If VJ gets the coaching job in Cleveland Mayfield may be more of a reality than most think he is... Mayfield is a winner and will want to play for a winning team. If we have a good 2019, even with Keenum still here ( God forbid) then after a losing season at Cleveland Mayfield may want traded.
    I'm over here spit balling Detroit eating 30 mil to burn their pick and some of ours on a move up for Haskins, and people are perplexed. We need to go baby steps on this trade business.