Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2019 Senior Bowl

Rosters have been finalised, and the position everyone will be focusing on, Quarterback, we will get to watch Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Jarrett Stidham, Gardner Minshaw, Tyree Jackson, Trace McSorley, Clayton Thorson, Ryan Findley, and Will Grier. Should be good week of viewing, and a huge chance for all of these guys to separate themselves, I am looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Rosters have been finalised, and the position everyone will be focusing on, Quarterback, we will get to watch Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Jarrett Stidham, Gardner Minshaw, Tyree Jackson, Trace McSorley, Clayton Thorson, Ryan Findley, and Will Grier. Should be good week of viewing, and a huge chance for all of these guys to separate themselves, I am looking forward to it.
    As am I, this game will separate and propel the QBs that belong at the top. Haskins will more than likely be the top guy taken but who is #2? I think after this game we find out

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    As am I, this game will separate and propel the QBs that belong at the top. Haskins will more than likely be the top guy taken but who is #2? I think after this game we find out
    It will definitely go a long way in determining how the cards fall in April. I personally won't put huge stock into the game, but I think the rumours and stories that come out of the week of practice say a lot more. I think Drew Lock has the most to gain, and if he can prove that he can quickly jump into a pro style offense and process the information, and be consistent with his accuracy every single day in practice, he could find himself being discussed as the first quarterback taken.

Have they announced who will coach it?

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Shanahan will coach the South, and Gruden will coach the North. So Jones, Lock, Finley, and McSorely will be with Gruden. Grieir, Minshaw, Stidham, Thorson, and Jackson will be with Shanahan.

Pro Football Weekly's Mark Schofield on the quarterbacks from day 1 at the Senior Bowl.

Remembering that this is just a baseline day, the quarterbacks I came away most impressed with were Minshew, Jackson, Lock and Finley. Minshew’s footwork on Tuesday matched what I saw on film, and his ability to work full-field is clearly something he will continue at the NFL. Jackson’s arm talent and prowess in the vertical passing game is something that will continue to draw attention, and with good reason. Lock came into this week needing a solid performance, and he seemed to step up his game a bit with the eyes on him. Finally, I’ll admit to being impressed by Finley's performance, and anytime a player makes you want to revisit his film, it is worth mentioning.

NFL.com writer Lance Zierlein named Drew Lock in his top 5 performers on day 1 of practice.

Drew Lock, QB, Missouri: Lock threw with great zip on Tuesday. He was more accurate than the other quarterbacks on display. He's thrown the ball well. This event is made for him -- it's the ideal setup for him to show off his arm talent and velocity.

Here are some reports from walterfootball.com. Charlie Campbell's evaluation of Grier was interesting. He said Grier looks solid overall, but loses arm strength when throwing on the run and has limited athleticism. He sees him as more of a day two prospect.

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2019.php

Greer and Jones didnít look like first round picks today.

I would contend that from what I have seen, Grier nor Jones have looked like day 1 prospects at any point during the process. The fans and media hype have put them in the conversation, but the play on the field doesn't warrant the speculation at this point in my opinion.

Iíve havenít been able to find a lot of scouting notes from the Senior Bowl on quarterbacks. Here are a few notes from todayís practice from the Senior Bowl website:

South practice -

As far as the quarterbacks, Grier was first in the rotation, followed by Washington State's Gardner Minshew, Auburn's Jarrett Stidham and Buffalo's Tyree Jackson. Most were content to throw short and intermediate passes -- running backs and tights ends were targeted the most -- although Jackson hit San Jose State tight end Josh Oliver for a big gain down the right side when the cornerback and safety got tangled. Another deep pass to Samuel, this time from Jackson, was knocked away by Ya Sin who was flagged on the play.

The wind and weather, however, didn't impact the passing game with West Virginia quarterback Will Grier throwing two notable deep balls, the first to teammate David Sills during 7-on-7 drills and the second to Samuel during the 11-on-11 session.

North practice -

The Reese'sSenior Bowl moved practice indoors Wednesday, to avoid the rain and possible thunder, and the quarterbacks were considerably sharper than they had been in Tuesdayís first practice. That was, until Dukeís Daniel Jones threw interceptions on back-to-back plays at the University of South Alabama field house.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 01-24-2019 at 06:20 PM.

We have a long free agency to go through before we see exactly what Denver will need but the Senior Bowl & its practices have been fun to watch. Now we can look forward to the combines to see how these guys do on the field in Indy. Lots ahead until the draft!

Lock looked pretty good. Grier not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    Lock looked pretty good. Grier not so much.
    No doubt. Lock has made some nice throws. Khalen Saunders looks like he has the ability to play DE in a 3-4, might be worth a look if he's still there in the 5th/6th round.

The Senior Bowl is what it is though. Baker Mayfield had a poor outing, while Kyle Lauletta lit it up last year.

I liked what I saw in Jones most. Strong enough arm, good touch, mobility & poise. He'd be my 1st choice from the 'hyped up' Senior Bowl QBs.

Lock has a strong arm and made some nice throws but I couldn't tell much more. He'd be my 2nd choice from the 'hype up' Senior Bowl QBs.

Grier doesn't appear to have enough arm strength, even when he put his body into the throws on deep passes the balls still died and fluttered while in flight. I wouldn't waste any draft pick on him, let alone out 1st rd pick.

Special thanks to Sam_Z for the SB rings collage above