Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    This is a defensive draft so take the best defensive player available in the first round and see what QB fall into the second and third rounds. With better protection & coaching Case might look better in '19 than he did in '18. He sure looked in '17 with the Vikings coaches! Remember, a lot can happen in the next three months.

Bob if this is a stacked defensive draft wouldn't that mean to get a Qb first since theres more Defense to go around ?

The Broncos should draft a QB every round.
    The ones that don't pan out can start on the OL.

No OC75. There isn't a QB in this draft worth a top 10 pick, (IMO). Even in a defensive draft there is only a few players worthy of a top 10 draft choice, get one of them and come back later in the draft for a QB, if you feel you must draft one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Bob View Post
    No OC75. There isn't a QB in this draft worth a top 10 pick, (IMO). Even in a defensive draft there is only a few players worthy of a top 10 draft choice, get one of them and come back later in the draft for a QB, if you feel you must draft one of them.
    If Broncos could get a top defensive player @10 then move back up or get one of 4 QBs then that would be a steal.

This is a defensive draft so take the best defensive player available in the first round and see what QB fall into the second and third rounds. With better protection & coaching Case might look better in '19 than he did in '18. He sure looked in '17 with the Vikings coaches! Remember, a lot can happen in the next three months.
    Sit around and see who falls is how we ended up with Lynch. If you identify the guy you believe in, get him.

Quote Originally Posted by orange crush75 View Post
    If Broncos could get a top defensive player @10 then move back up or get one of 4 QBs then that would be a steal.
    I disagree, just like papa-pwn said....waiting gets you Paxton Lynch or Brock osweiler. Target the guy and grow a set and get him. Stop waiting and just pull the trigger!!! Every draft there are 2 guys considered better than the rest....just get one....

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I disagree, just like papa-pwn said....waiting gets you Paxton Lynch or Brock osweiler. Target the guy and grow a set and get him. Stop waiting and just pull the trigger!!! Every draft there are 2 guys considered better than the rest....just get one....
    I'm talking about Jones or lock . They would be a steal in the 2nd . Maybe not likely but it be a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    EJ manual, Christian ponder, and Jake Locker where first round QBs. mainly because of this. there are and has been alot of busts. if there is a QB that is good and we like. then we take him. but Drafting a QB just to Draft a QB could put the Franchise back if we miss.
    The only real way to get a long-term franchise QB in the NFL is to draft one (usually early), an the rewards for success outweigh the risks. There are always busts, and drafting a QB is a bit of a crap shoot, but more than that I think it's a numbers game. Sometimes you just have to take your lumps and kiss a bunch of frogs before you find your prince--but once you do, the stability and wins brought in are worth the expended daft capital. For every Andrew Luck, there's a Ryan Leaf (or a Johnny Manziel, or a Paxton Lynch)--even "can't miss" prospects sometimes turn into busts.

But it's very difficult to find that guy outside of the first or second rounds of the draft--yeah, I know that Tom Brady was a 6th-round pick, but how many other good starters right now were late-round picks? Out of nearly 50 QBs selected in rounds 3-7 from 2010-2015, only Wilson (3rd round) became a franchise-type QB; I might also be generous and give you Foles (3rd round), Cousins (4th round), and maybe even Tyrod Taylor (6th round)--I certainly don't consider those guys "elite" starters but I think they could count as solid starters. So out of nearly 50 QB selections over 6 drafts, one became the type of guy teams are really hoping for, and maybe three others became significant contributors. Less than 10% of the picks panned out at all. Compare that to the last 28 QBs selected in the first round, where, by my count, around 50% have had at least some success as starters, and about 30% have become franchise-type QBs (I'm counting Luck, Newton, Goff, Wentz, Mayfield, Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes).

It's clear, then, that the way to find a franchise QB is to pick good prospects early in the draft and hope they work out, but even then you're looking at maybe 1 in 3 picks really being a "hit." Patience is required from both the team and the fans. But if you wait until Round 3, your odds of finding your guy decrease dramatically, to less than 10%. Again, look at all of the trash picks wasted by Kansas City and Oakland before they lucked out with Mahomes and Carr.

The best plan for teams without a truly established star QB, IMO, is to bring in the best veteran starter you can get (with a reasonable contract), and then draft the best prospect QB available to you in the first or second round to learn behind that veteran for a year or two. Late-round "fliers" on QBs may not be worth it unless you really are in love with a particular prospect for some reason; otherwise, those picks may be better used on positions with more of a track record of finding good players in those later rounds. Draft a new QB early every year until you find the one who is "the answer" for your franchise, and then you don't need to use early-round picks on a QB at all for the next several years because you are set.

But if you sit back and never draft a QB in the first or second rounds because you're worried about "busts," odds are that you are never going to find a long-term elite QB and are going to be stuck recycling journeyman free agent QBs that were let go by other teams. It's very rare for elite QBs to hit free agency, and when they do it's usually at the tail end of their career when they only have a few seasons left (see, e.g., Peyton Manning).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I think my list kinda looks like this at qb

Kyler Murray
    Dewayne Haskin
    Will Grier
    Drew lock
    Daniel Jones

And I have seen Grier regularly in the later half of the first to the second rounder. So it would be really hard in my mind to argue that lock would be worth a top 10 pick. Especially if we can get Byron Murphy/Greedy williams and trade back into the first with Grier. That I think would be my ideal situation
    That's how I rank them as well. Haskins, Grier and Lock have potential but all three are raw prospects. Haskins, widely regarded as the safest pick in the draft, needs to work on his game beyond simple screens and the short-to-intermediate game. Murray is the only one with star potential here. He's short but his game really stands out. It's impressive stuff.

I quite like Minshew as a mid-to-late pick too.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Sit around and see who falls is how we ended up with Lynch. in, get him.
    You are wrong there, we traded up to get Lynch. That is what "reaching" gets us!

Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    You are wrong there, we traded up to get Lynch. That is what "reaching" gets us!
    I wonder if the Broncos would have drafted Prescott, if they had let the Cowboys win the bid for Lynch.

That being said, the Broncos did wait until Lynch fell close enough for them to move up to get him.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.

If any one of Haskins, Lock, or Grier are there at 10 you take them. I believe all 3 are franchise guys. If youre left with Murray and Jones I say either trade back or wait until the 2nd or 3rd. It would be phenomenal to somehow pull off a top defensive player and one of these guys.

Cecil Lammey on 104.3 was saying that Drew Lock lit up the Senior Bowl practice yesterday in really crappy weather. Only missed 1 throw, and it was a throw away. Was dropping dimes at 50-55yards making it look effortless.

I could see us giving SF a haul for their 2nd pick and grab Lock if Arizona doesn't take him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    Cecil Lammey on 104.3 was saying that Drew Lock lit up the Senior Bowl practice yesterday in really crappy weather. Only missed 1 throw, and it was a throw away. Was dropping dimes at 50-55yards making it look effortless.

I could see us giving SF a haul for their 2nd pick and grab Lock if Arizona doesn't take him.
    I agree that a trade with SF is a real possibility. I doubt Arizona gives on on Rosen so early, but if they did I'd gladly trade for him, too. He was my favorite QB prospect last year.