Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    No I'm not saying that at all. I said they had to compete against 31 other teams for a championship. The fact is it's easier to win a league with 10 teams than with 32 teams. At random, one team has a 10% chance of winning the championship and the other has about a 3% chance.

How hard would it be to win a league with only one team in it?
    Just talking NFL dynasties. In those days sports medicine was primitive in comparison to today. Protective equipment was minimal. Rosters were much smaller and players played both ways plus STs. Does that sound easier to you?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Just talking NFL dynasties. In those days sports medicine was primitive in comparison to today. Protective equipment was minimal. Rosters were much smaller and players played both ways plus STs. Does that sound easier to you?
    Add to that, teams probably were very familiar with each other having played them multiple times. It is said in today's football that it is hard to beat a team twice in a season, and teams you don't play twice in your division you may not see for 4 years.

Wouldn't have been a much better game had the the ref's not called that fluky holding penalty on the Rams' center when Gurley had that momentum raising 16 yard run in the 3rd Qtr was it, thus squelching any chance of a more competitive game. The Rams were fixin' to whip the Patriots into shape (though the Pat's seemed hopped up) on that drive thwarted by a questionable call?

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    McVay's OL was getting torn up pretty bad. I am not sure what could have been done but I think his youth finally was on display as he had no answer in his playbook for what the Pats were doing. Makes me feel better about going for Fangio than a young offensive mind specially after hearing Fangio's take on what a balanced offense is.

People talking about how Goff was confused but imo it was actually the Rams OL who was having the worst game of the day.
    Much like Brady when the Broncos would pressure him heavily up the middle causing him to throw early while not being able to run, Goff is rather the same breed, and the Patriots utilized the rush up the middle to bust his chops knowing full well Goff couldn't beat anyone out and around the end - unlike JE - though Goff's tough but not necessarily stout. The Rams should've pounded the ball off tackle, then outside, up the middle, then mix it up, and then thrown to the backs & TE, but McVay, in all his GLORY, was thinking he's the most intricate, fancy passing schemer to the WR's while he seemed to abandoned what got them there - pound the ball, and motion, motion, motion with various run plays to RB's/WR's though the Patriots had somehow employed the beef on the DE and the speed at LB/DB's.

Though I can't rightly say, only fathom that though the crowd be loud (or quiet when your "O" is on the field) and/or you're using foreign playspeak, the "D" can get a good sense of what the "O" is going to run as it huddles up too close to the line of scrimmage like the Rams were at first, though later they took their time in the huddle farther from the LoS as Romo pointed out. True your plays may be in a foreign language to the "D" and you can audible at the LoS, but in today's mixed match of free agents & coaches some have heard it all and can adjust on the fly as they hear/see the "O's" plays? Seems like the Pat's had a good idea of what was about to be thrown at them. We know the Pat's have some kinda mysterious way(s) of getting an advantage, so the huddle needed to be more old school farther from the LoS and out of the "D's" hearing distance unless I'm mistaken and nothing is heard, or offensive play calls are so encrypted that no one's the wiser?

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    how about best NFL dynasty? Better than 49ers and Steelers. Maybe the 1940's Browns would be better.

The Pats have dominated for 18 years. 9 SBs (6 wins) and 4 conference championships including 8 SBs or AFCCG in a row and 3 SB wins in 5 years plus another 3 SB wins in 4 years before that. They only missed the AFCCG 5 out 18 years. They didn't do it with the same players like the Steelers did (for the most part) and they did it with different systems and players year in and year out. 1 year it's a 2 TE system with hernandez and Gronk. Another year it's a deep ball game with Moss and Welker. Another year it's power running with Corey Dillon. I highly doubt any of us will ever see anything like that again. Every game the Pats win is watching history unfolding before our eyes. I don't care if you love em or hate em, they are a great team and if anyone can't recognize that, then I would not consider them a fan of football.

Edit...Sporting News has them ranked #3 best Dynasty behind MJs Bulls and John Woodens Bruins.
    They don't make penalties and they don't act like adolescents chasing girls like most teams players do. They're about business and football, not clowning around and Tom foolery (no pun intended), and they find the loopholes in the rules if not downright cheat much like many a buisness when it comes to calculating tax bills. Oh what a world - a bunch of hooligans.

Quote Originally Posted by MDN1959 View Post
    Much like Brady when the Broncos would pressure him heavily up the middle causing him to throw early while not being able to run, Goff is rather the same breed, and the Patriots utilized the rush up the middle to bust his chops knowing full well Goff couldn't beat anyone out and around the end - unlike JE - though Goff's tough but not necessarily stout. The Rams should've pounded the ball off tackle, then outside, up the middle, then mix it up, and then thrown to the backs & TE, but McVay, in all his GLORY, was thinking he's the most intricate, fancy passing schemer to the WR's while he seemed to abandoned what got them there - pound the ball, and motion, motion, motion with various run plays to RB's/WR's though the Patriots had somehow employed the beef on the DE and the speed at LB/DB's.
    If McVay had tried to pound the ball all game he would have failed to score even the 3 points. I'm not saying he shouldn't have run the ball, just that it was ineffective. Those Pats LBs are just too good at disrupting those running plays. Even Romo showed all game long how you defeat the Rams running game because it's all about cutting back against a zone push. Play 2 high safeties and you could care less if they get a 7 yard gain because the next run is likely to be for loss. Even when the Rams OLine was getting their butt handed to them, the passing game worked to an extent. Goff was not the best against the rush but he and Cooks had decent, albeit, underwhelming game.
    That said, I am fine with Fangio provided he does bring in some innovation on offense. If he attempts a ground and pound offense we are definitely doomed to a losing season

Quote Originally Posted by Chop_Block View Post
    If McVay had tried to pound the ball all game he would have failed to score even the 3 points. I'm not saying he shouldn't have run the ball, just that it was ineffective. Those Pats LBs are just too good at disrupting those running plays. Even Romo showed all game long how you defeat the Rams running game because it's all about cutting back against a zone push. Play 2 high safeties and you could care less if they get a 7 yard gain because the next run is likely to be for loss. Even when the Rams OLine was getting their butt handed to them, the passing game worked to an extent. Goff was not the best against the rush but he and Cooks had decent, albeit, underwhelming game.
    That said, I am fine with Fangio provided he does bring in some innovation on offense. If he attempts a ground and pound offense we are definitely doomed to a losing season
    Yeah but, didn't the Patriots ground and pound one to a TD - the only one of the game, and the Rams were out sized and a step behind - did the Rams not eat right, sleep right, condition right, or otherwise get juiced up right?

They don't make penalties and they don't act like adolescents chasing girls like most teams players do. They're about business and football, not clowning around and Tom foolery (no pun intended), and they find the loopholes in the rules if not downright cheat much like many a buisness when it comes to calculating tax bills. Oh what a world - a bunch of hooligans.
    Was it "cheating" when the Rams stayed in the huddle until 15 sec left on the clock because the communication is cut off so the Pats couldn't use the Radios on the Rams line up? I'd say no, it's not cheating. It's a tactic to deal with a team who's defense is killing you because they know what you are doing.
    I don't like the Patriots winning so much, but I respect the heck of them because of how they go about their business. They have won with great coaching and a great QB and, often, with "inferior" player "talent".
    The Rams had to defend Chris Hogan, Gronk, and Edelman. (OK, so they looked foolish trying to cover Edelman) That isn't exactly a powerful offense to defend and yet the Pats managed to drive the ball with some consistency even in this defensive battle.
    Anyway, hats off to the Pats and another surprising SB win

Yeah but, didn't the Patriots ground and pound one to a TD - the only one of the game, and the Rams were out sized and a step behind - did the Rams not eat right, sleep right, condition right, or otherwise get juiced up right?
    Oh, contrar. The Patriots scoring drive was the result of 4 straight passes to get them to the 2 yard line where they ran the ball in. Without the 29 yarder to Gronk I don't know that they score, although by this point in the game Donald and company were out of gas.
    That was evident on the next Pats drive where they pounded the ball against the Rams, and not saying there weren't good play calls, but, the Rams were sucking fumes by this point.

Just to pile on with the need for a franchise QB...
    They kept showing a graphic of the teams who have won the most SBs:
    Steelers (Bradshaw and Big Ben)
    49ers (Montana and Young)
    Broncos (Elway and Manning)
    Cowboys (Staubach and Aikman)

Any doubt about the significance to having that star QB?

Ball control offense compliments defensive football in time of possession. Also, if you don't commit to running the football, the other team won't commit to stopping it. 3rd and 2, and the Patriots are playing coverage.

They do not have good TEs they could use effectively. I think they should have trotted out 2 TEs constantly than 3 WRs. Belichick found out his offense wasn't working with 1 TE and 1 FB, so he went big and forced the Rams to go big the second half. Gerald Everett had 20 lbs on Josh Reynolds. Put him out there, and force the Patriots to bring an additional safety to the box by staying balanced with the pass and run. They needed to put 2 RBs vs the Patriots because the Patriots' LBs weaknesses have been pass coverage vs RBs. That is what the Eagles did with Corey Clement to get lots of chunk yardage last SB.

Once they lost Cooper Kupp, their 3 WR formation effectiveness went down. Wade Philips called a very very good game to limit the Patriots, IMO, but the Rams' offense eventually reduced the efficiency of their defense with not staying on the field.

I do not believe you read the comments you responded to. The comments were to run the ball differently then what they did nearly all game. IN fact the one run play I remember which went outside CJ ended up with decent yardage. A few more runs like that or if CJ breaks one of his signature runs again BB then all of a sudden the Pats would be forced to adapt and move away from their initial game-plan. McVay simply didn't have a plan B or he just failed to go to it.

Lastly I was very disappointed in the no call in the end-zone on Cooks. His backstop arm was CLEARLY held. Yes I know we don't want ticky tack calls to be made all SB but the refs then proceeded to negate a 1st down by the Rams by calling "holding"....

Wouldn't have been a much better game had the the ref's not called that fluky holding penalty on the Rams' center when Gurley had that momentum raising 16 yard run in the 3rd Qtr was it, thus squelching any chance of a more competitive game. The Rams were fixin' to whip the Patriots into shape (though the Pat's seemed hopped up) on that drive thwarted by a questionable call?
    Maybe it's just me, but when a team scores 3 points and puts up 260 total yards, after being a dominating offense all year, I find it hard to believe one holding call was the difference in things clicking for them. 421.1 yards per game, 32.1 points per game to 3 points and 260 yards, that's not one holding call that was the issue.