How Does a Broncos Loss/Win Affect Your Life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BroncoBrennan89
    Bench Warmer
    • Aug 2008

How Does a Broncos Loss/Win Affect Your Life?

After losing SB 48, I am ashamed to admit that I went on a two week break from work. No eating. Couldn't sleep. Avoided sports shows. But I was young then. I've matured. After SB 50, I was on cloud nine for a few days. Then it was back to normal. The joy and elation died down. My team losing hurts more than winning feels good. I will gladly admit that losses do not affect my everyday life anymore. I was young and stupid.

How does a Broncos win or lose affect your life? How'd you get over SB 48? And was it better they got blown out 43-8 over a Seahawks type loss in SB 49?
  • mozzerpete
    All-Pro
    • May 2008

I'm 38 and became a Broncos fan in third grade. The 49ers super bowl loss was harsh for the severity of goose eggs being left behind by the offense. TD's Super Bowl MVP was notably special as was Elway's helicopter dive.

However, the last win with Manning made me aware that football will continue long after I am gone. So if the Broncos lose during the regular season, I hope not to be in the stands. If the Broncos win, then I wish I would have been in the stands. When the Broncos are out of the playoff picture, I start the offseason research. This year came early, again.

Comment

• speardog
      Special Teams
      • Nov 2006

I grew up in the 70's and was a teen in the 80's a saw all the SB loses and they all hurt really bad. Thank god no internet back then.

These days I hardly care. Half the time I don't even get to watch the games unless they are on TV here in texas. I used to stream every game now it don't matter. If Denver wins I can watch the game on NFL game pass. If they lose I don't even have to bother. It is just a game and hardly affects my life one bit anymore.

Comment

• ArchAngel
        Special Teams
        • Jun 2007

Has absolutely no affect on me. When I was younger, if the Broncos lost, my whole week was wrecked. I would replay the whole game in my mind. Now. I'm just..meh.

Comment

• Saddletramp
          Captain
          • Nov 2005

Its just a game. Letting the outcome effect your life is just silly.
          [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
          Adopted player Lindsey

Comment

• TheAsianPA
            Captain
            • Oct 2015

It would probably affect me more if we won more games and then lost in the important ones. Seeing as how we haven't made playoffs in 3 years it's getting harder to stay invested.
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• samparnell
              Soy Capitan Meshpoint
              • Nov 2007

I've been a Bronco fan for fifty-four years, so my reaction to their performance has gone through several phases. After I became a fan, it was ten years before the first winning season. During that time the focus was on great performances by individual players. Part of Denver's problem during the first thirteen years of their franchise was that they were in the same division as the Chargers, Texans/Chiefs and Raiders and played each twice a year. The AFL was a truly wonderful league that has done much for the game of pro football.

After the Broncos had winning seasons, I gradually became more of a student of the game itself. It was a twenty year process of reading, studying, and watching with a little coaching thrown in. There was a gradual morphing from an emotional reaction to a more analytical one.

A thirteen year stint on a HS coaching staff provided experience in scouting, offense, defense and special teams which helped in future studies. After coaching, I continued studying the game by collecting playbooks, downloaded and printed from the internet mostly.

Consequently, watching each game is a study for me, play by play. When I look at a play, I ask myself exactly what it is that I see. After a play, I ask what it was that I just saw. I use DVR quite a bit. What is the offensive formation and how is the defense aligned to it? Always focus on the first steps of the O-Line because that shows if it's run/PAP or pass/Draw.

At the end of each game, I have an idea of the cause of the result. Regardless of which way it went, there are always aspects on which to build and things to fix. Injuries and officiating contribute to the outcome, but are factors beyond the control of the team. Offseason is the time to focus on organizational issues and player acquisition.

I've developed some beliefs about how a football team can be successful. Sometimes I see some of those things in the Broncos and sometimes I don't. No sense in getting too agitated over something I just observe at a distance. I like to watch the Denver Broncos play football games.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• DenverBlood
                Football Immortal
                • Nov 2005

I would say in high school and young adulthood losses hurt my soul for a few days. Even the loss to the Seahawks was painful. But I did go to work the next day. Fortunately no one really messed with me about it.

These days I’m over losses by the time i go to bed unless it’s a prime time game. But like AsianPa said it’s become somewhat expected these days so no reason to dwell on it so much.

At the end of the day it’s just a game that we have 0 control over. What I do have control over is my job and family happiness. I try to focus on my boys after a loss so I don’t teach them to be sore losers.
                sigpic

Comment

• Elway
                  Master of Game Day!
                  • Jun 2003

Most losses I get over within 24 hours. Superbowl 48 while it was Brutal, was easy to get over, because my son was 3 days away from being born. It was easy to put the loss into perspective.

For me the biggest loss was to the Jags in 96, We had such a great team, to lose like that, so many miscues, mistakes and penalties. It was rough. There was no guarantee that Elway and the Broncos would be back the next two years in a row to win it. At the time all my Bronco gear and memorabilia was banished to the basement for months. Now there is too many kids, too much Bronco stuff in my house.
                  The Game Day Thread: Year 18 in progress!!!

Comment

• conannilsen
                    Special Teams
                    • Aug 2007

I go on a clothing strike. Pretend I never remembered what happened, wait for them to earn that advertising space back. With Champ going to Canton, I rock that jersey today. Then back in the closet till the new year. That's about it.
                    2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

• Capt. Jack
                      Football Immortal
                      • Oct 2010

I am in a better mood when the Broncos are winning. I still think a about the Super Bowl losses once and awhile, and they still bother me a little when I see them on the NFL network. I appreciate the Super Bowl wins, I Think of them and they make me feel better!

Comment

• Shiz
                        All-Pro
                        • Feb 2008

I’m all in for the 3.5 hours. Win and it’s a great night. Lose and it’s a good night. I always take myself away from the loss outcome because it is never fair to my family for me to be a grumpy mess.
                        sigpic

Comment

• gtown53
                          All-Pro
                          • Apr 2008

My family moved to Colorado in 1968, when I was 15. And I was a fan from then on. And it wasn't easy that first few years. I was 30 years old when Denver traded for Elway, so I was an adult who had an idea of what I was seeing by that point. I also enjoyed listening to Bronco Talk with Bob Martin on 850 which lead to the Mike Wolfe and Woody Paige sportstalk show, and then Irv and Joe. Anybody remember the early Draft Guide by John Reigel (I believe was his name)?

Early, I had no expectations that the Broncos would win. So, I wasn't all that disappointed by the losing seasons. When we got Elway, I would be bummed out for a day. Now, with a more analytical approach, it's all good. I especially enjoy trades, the FAs, and most of all, the Draft. But even that is becoming less important as time goes on.

Comment

• MHS
                            I am The Dude
                            • Jun 2006

It has always been the same for me and still is. If Broncos lose I am a little bummed for that day but am over it the next day.
                            sigpic
                            "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                              All-Time Great
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by BroncoBrennan89 View Post
                              After losing SB 48, I am ashamed to admit that I went on a two week break from work. No eating. Couldn't sleep. Avoided sports shows. But I was young then. I've matured. After SB 50, I was on cloud nine for a few days. Then it was back to normal. The joy and elation died down. My team losing hurts more than winning feels good. I will gladly admit that losses do not affect my everyday life anymore. I was young and stupid.

How does a Broncos win or lose affect your life? How'd you get over SB 48? And was it better they got blown out 43-8 over a Seahawks type loss in SB 49?
                              That's funny. 5 years ago you were young? and now you're not?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X