Thread: Danny Shelton

Danny Shelton

he really popped to me during the super bowl as a great NT canidate. he is a free agent and would be an ideal fit as a 3-4 NT.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

I wouldn't spend money on him, he will get paid, and I would more look at drafting a young run stuffer in the middle to late rounds, this class is deep, and bring back Peko and Kerr who both were good in rotation a season ago. I would be looking to spend money at inside linebacker, cornerback, and safety before the defensive line, as I think it will be harder to find those positions in the draft this year, especially if we commit to a quarterback early.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    he really popped to me during the super bowl as a great NT canidate. he is a free agent and would be an ideal fit as a 3-4 NT.
    It was the game plan as much as anything. They slanted the line towards the fly motion, and because the Rams spent the first half pulling the backside guard and running a trap/power, this meant the centre needed to down block on Shelton and protect the left A gap, but with the slant Shelton was going to the right A gap, which meant that the centre was overshooting his block and Shelton was through to make plays.

Now credit to him for making those plays, but it was a good defensive game plan just catching the Rams in the perfect run calls.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I wouldn't spend money on him, he will get paid, and I would more look at drafting a young run stuffer in the middle to late rounds, this class is deep, and bring back Peko and Kerr who both were good in rotation a season ago. I would be looking to spend money at inside linebacker, cornerback, and safety before the defensive line, as I think it will be harder to find those positions in the draft this year, especially if we commit to a quarterback early.
    One of two interior positions NEED to be addressed:

- DE
    -NT

What was the most glaring to me this past season was our inability to consistently collapse the pocket. S.Harris seemingly did a better job at that than Peko - IMO. That being said Harris more often than not BEAT his man he did not collapse the pocket like an A.Donald or N.Suh did in the SB last night. IMO - I like Peko due to character and the fact that he still seems to have great fast twitch for a man of his size. IF he'd come back for a favorable number I'd bring him in as a mentor/rotation guy and kick him as a DE/NT and let Kerr test the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    It was the game plan as much as anything. They slanted the line towards the fly motion, and because the Rams spent the first half pulling the backside guard and running a trap/power, this meant the centre needed to down block on Shelton and protect the left A gap, but with the slant Shelton was going to the right A gap, which meant that the centre was overshooting his block and Shelton was through to make plays.

Now credit to him for making those plays, but it was a good defensive game plan just catching the Rams in the perfect run calls.
    Exactly what I was going to say. I also think that Romo said it best in the play calling. When the Rams shift and move their O-line they are accustomed to other teams moving and following that motion. This was not just Shelton but the other defensive players- they ran straight. Rather than following the motion of the line they ran straight vertical through the motions which really messed with the typical Rams play calls.

McVay really made some MAJOR errors in play calling. with that kind of aggressive defensive plays being called by the Patriots the Rams needs to run more of what they did to CJ when he had the ball knocked out. They needed him or Gurley to STOP running up the gut and needed to toss the ball out fast and wide to allow for those two to punish the right and left sides of the D-Line. This would have thrown off the vertical penetration game plan of the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post

his movement was just i feel really good for a 340 pound linemen. i feel he may be the new age of nt that showing up.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

his movement was just i feel really good for a 340 pound linemen. i feel he may be the new age of nt that showing up.
    what doesx that mean? Shelton is nothing special.

Terrance Knighton destroyed the Pats in an AFC Championship game and was unblockable at times. He ended up with a 1 year contract and then out of the NFL not too long after that. Knighton was 29 when he got his 1 year contract. He had 12.5 sacks before settling for his 1 year contract.

Dontari Poe is a 346 pound NT who ran a 4.98 at the combine. He ended up with a 1 year contract in Atlanta, and then a 3 year contract in Carolina, but could end up being released in March. Poe was 27 when he got his 1 year contract. He had 13 sacks before his 1 year contract.

Danny Shelton played 3 years in Cleveland, they cut bait on him and he played this year in New England, he started 1 game for them this season. He's got 1.5 sacks in his career.

If he's signed for a 1 year contract at next to nothing to come in and be a rotation player, I'd be okay with that. But he's not the answer at NT (based on his history) and he shouldn't command much more than that considering players of similar size and age who were showing more than him signed for that.

I say we roll with Shelby Harris. I think Coach Vic can work his Defensive Magic I also expect to see the Resurgence of D. Walker under Vic's Coaching !

I agree with an earlier poster. Wait and grab a guy like Daylon Mack in the 3rd-4th round. Peko can suck mud, he can't leave town fast enough. Harris and Mack at NT and Gotsis, Wolfe, and Walker at DE.