• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • broncolee
    Football Immortal
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
    What confuses me is that when Haskins is the consensus #1 QB, RIGHT NOW, where is the logic in fans suggesting that we move up to #2 for the #2 QB.
    Well, many are of the belief that the Broncos like Drew Lock more than Haskins. That’s the logic. You move up for the one you believe in.
    Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• beastlyskronk
      Football Immortal
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
      That's the problem in every draft, the QBs in most drafts aren't your best or most talented players. It's a position that is so important and so hard to get right that GMs will always take chances on players in Hope's of finaly finding the franchise face.
      And I understand that but that doesn’t mean I’d be comfortable with him. I feel the same way about Lock as I did with Allen last year. But this is all based off of his game tape.

The only positive at drafting QB over a more talented player is that the mental part is a lot more important than the physical part and college football does a terrible job of showcasing their mental capabilities. So game tape can be completely irrelevant if they show a large mental capacity and seem coachable in the interviews and workouts. Unfortunately it’s one of those things for us that’s hard to get a truly accurate representation of.

I just think that in his 1 season Haskins checked off more boxes than Lock did in his 4 seasons. Plus he’s talked about how important it is for a QB to know his protections and that could just be posturing but I think it shows that he’s going to be working hard in the film room and with the coaches to get a full grasp on everything he’s going to be asked to do. Mechanically he’s actually pretty solid as well which is rare for college QBs so it lends credence to him working hard to improve his game.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
        Super Moderator
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
        I used an article that is 2 months old to prove a point. I dont use mock drafts and base players value off that, that's your thing. You can give a 100 mock drafts and to me that doesn't mean jack. Like I said earlier, when combine and pro days are done then we'll know who is considered the best at their respected positions.
        That's still tough to say, because teams will have prospects in for private workouts. If you've got 2 QBs and ones rated higher by all of the experts and mock drafts but he can't articulate plays for you (teams will send them dummy plays to memorize and quiz them on them) and acts like a jerk, teams will drop him or even take him off their boards. Meanwhile the kid everyone says is second or third best destroys the private workout, has a photographic memory, can tell you what kind of defense he's looking at based on how they're lined up presnap and is just a great kid and gets along well with everyone.

No one else knows what happened in the two interviews, the "experts" have no idea, but that team likes the "lesser" prospect better because he checks every box and fits exactly what they're looking for.

People (in general not singling anyone out) also need to remember that every year there are players that drop past where experts think they'll be picked. And every year there are players that are picked higher than experts believe they should and they rip the teams for it, but never follow up when that player shows why he was picked higher.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
          Super Moderator
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
          And I understand that but that doesn’t mean I’d be comfortable with him. I feel the same way about Lock as I did with Allen last year. But this is all based off of his game tape.

The only positive at drafting QB over a more talented player is that the mental part is a lot more important than the physical part and college football does a terrible job of showcasing their mental capabilities. So game tape can be completely irrelevant if they show a large mental capacity and seem coachable in the interviews and workouts. Unfortunately it’s one of those things for us that’s hard to get a truly accurate representation of.

I just think that in his 1 season Haskins checked off more boxes than Lock did in his 4 seasons. Plus he’s talked about how important it is for a QB to know his protections and that could just be posturing but I think it shows that he’s going to be working hard in the film room and with the coaches to get a full grasp on everything he’s going to be asked to do. Mechanically he’s actually pretty solid as well which is rare for college QBs so it lends credence to him working hard to improve his game.
          I disagree, I don't think one season adequately prepares a QB for the NFL. Especially when you're playing on a stacked team and always have better guys on your side than the guys you're going against. I think Haskins (and Murray if he decides he's a football player) will need to sit for at least 1 season to properly get themselves ready to play in the NFL. 1 season of college in spread offenses against lesser talent won't have given them the experience necessary to run a pro style offense in the NFL against NFL defenses.

Comment

• gtown53
            All-Pro
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
            Perhaps some team will move up to #1 to get Haskins. The Giants are in position to do so. After that, if Lock is truly Elway's guy, he might have a willing trade partner in his buddy John Lynch.
            If Haskins is taken 1st, as in your scenario, wouldn't it be funny if Elway moved up to #2, and chose a QB other than Lock. Everybody is assuming that Elway isn't "sand-bagging" other teams by talking up Lock. I don't know one way or the other, but I would think that would be hilarious if Elway took Jones, Murray, or Grier. Sure would be a lot of livid people, here.

Comment

• orange crush75
              Captain
              • Feb 2006

If Haskins is taken 1st, as in your scenario, wouldn't it be funny if Elway moved up to #2, and chose a QB other than Lock. Everybody is assuming that Elway isn't "sand-bagging" other teams by talking up Lock. I don't know one way or the other, but I would think that would be hilarious if Elway took Jones, Murray, or Grier. Sure would be a lot of livid people, here.
              Or maybe Elway really wants him and hes turning other teams off of Lock because his track record hasnt been the best at picking QBs lol

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                Super Moderator
                • Dec 2008

I think Jones is the only one in that conversation that could happen. Realistically I think there are 3 QBs the Broncos would be happy to get: Haskins, Jones and Lock. Murray just doesn't fit anything that this team is looking to do. And Grier seems to have settled in as a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

If they go QB in the first I think it could be any of the 3 I listed, but the other two just wouldn't happen.

Comment

• gtown53
                  All-Pro
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                  Or maybe Elway really wants him and hes turning other teams off of Lock because his track record hasnt been the best at picking QBs lol
                  Ha ha ha! Good one!

After Lynch, and Osweiler, (Kelly and Siemian, as well), your idea isn't all that far-fetched. And that's why I'm more of a fan of going after a "Foles", or some other veteran. With this teams inability to choose QBs, I don't know how fans could possibly think that taking any QB in the 1st Round could be a good idea.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                    Super Moderator
                    • Dec 2008

Ha ha ha! Good one!

After Lynch, and Osweiler, (Kelly and Siemian, as well), your idea isn't all that far-fetched. And that's why I'm more of a fan of going after a "Foles", or some other veteran. With this teams inability to choose QBs, I don't know how fans could possibly think that taking any QB in the 1st Round could be a good idea.
                    Honest question: what has Foles shown over his entire career that makes you believe he's worth the big contract that he's going to get? What makes you think that he's better than Case Keenum? He has won a Super Bowl, but was that him truly being great or the right guy stepping into an already great team and not screwing it up?

Comment

• KWHIT97
                      Master of the Mock
                      • Oct 2007

In my opinion Lock and Haskins will completely seperate themselves from the pack after the combine and pro day process. The wild card will be Murray, if he works out for NFL teams he will blow minds imo. I don't think we can go wrong with either Lock or Haskins and I would be ok with us trading up no higher than pick 5 (Tampa Bay) to get one. If we wait Murray or Jones should be there at 10, a bigger risk. Idk, I just want us to do our due diligence on these guys and get the one we want. I DO NOT want Foles or Flacco, like at all. We need a young fresh signal caller!

Comment

• gtown53
                        All-Pro
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        Honest question: what has Foles shown over his entire career that makes you believe he's worth the big contract that he's going to get? What makes you think that he's better than Case Keenum? He has won a Super Bowl, but was that him truly being great or the right guy stepping into an already great team and not screwing it up?
                        I honestly don't know what Foles would be like as a Bronco. And neither does anyone else. It wouldn't take much to be better than Keenum. So much will be different with a new Coaching staff, and roster moves. What I do know is that Foles is a bigger, stronger QB with a better arm. So, he is physically superior to the smallish Keenum.

As to comparing the two on the field, all you have to do is watch the Philly-Minnesota Playoff game from a year ago. Two equally talented teams, one QBd by Foles, and the other QBd by Keenum. Both Quarterbacks were in a situation where they could excel. One did, and one didn't. Keenum threw 2 interceptions, and Foles threw for 3 TDs before his team went on to beat New England in the Superbowl where Foles was MVP.

But like I said, I will support whoever Elway chooses, whether it's Lock, Murray, Keenum, or another Veteran.
                        Last edited by gtown53; 02-06-2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• TheAsianPA
                          Captain
                          • Oct 2015

or another Veteran.
                          Of all the things to happen, I don't see another veteran happening. With Keenum on contract, cutting him still costs 10 million to the cap. There is no clean break from him unless someone is willing to trade for him, which is not going to happen. Foles' floor contract will be 20 million a year, and who knows in guarantees. I don't think that's something Elway wants to do when he already has a QB on contract for $21 million. The Broncos could sign for Foles, but that will put Elway and the FO in a position to where they'll need to draft for need based on having little money to sign free agents.
                          Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• gtown53
                            All-Pro
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                            Of all the things to happen, I don't see another veteran happening. With Keenum on contract, cutting him still costs 10 million to the cap. There is no clean break from him unless someone is willing to trade for him, which is not going to happen. Foles' floor contract will be 20 million a year, and who knows in guarantees. I don't think that's something Elway wants to do when he already has a QB on contract for $21 million. The Broncos could sign for Foles, but that will put Elway and the FO in a position to where they'll need to draft for need based on having little money to sign free agents.
                            I've stated several times that the only way we can get Foles is for many things to fall into place. And, I've stated several times that the only way we can get rid of Keenum is by TRADING him. I've Posted the Cap information with Links to Over the Cap, several times. And I've suggested several times that we might be able to do that in a creative way, a la Osweiler from Houston to Cleveland, like picking up a part of his Contract or giving someone a Draft Pick to take the guy off of our hands.

I have to ask myself, "who would play better for the Broncos, next season?" Somebody like Lock, a rookie crapshoot that is more likely to end up like Lynch or Osweiler, or another Missouri QB, Gabbert, and who may take years to get up to speed, or a Veteran like Foles who has already been successful in the league, and is only 30 years old.

It looks like I've put myself out on a limb by making those suggestions, because many people seem think we need to toss the dice ........................ again, for another college QB, hoping that somehow this time it will be different. But isn't the Definition of "Insanity" something like "doing the same thing, over and over, hoping for different results?

Just my honest opinion from watching Broncos QBs from Steve Tensi to Case Keenum, for the last 51 years.

Comment

• broncolee
                              Football Immortal
                              • Jan 2007

I've stated several times that the only way we can get Foles is for many things to fall into place. And, I've stated several times that the only way we can get rid of Keenum is by TRADING him. I've Posted the Cap information with Links to Over the Cap, several times. And I've suggested several times that we might be able to do that in a creative way, a la Osweiler from Houston to Cleveland, like picking up a part of his Contract or giving someone a Draft Pick to take the guy off of our hands.

I have to ask myself, "who would play better for the Broncos, next season?" Somebody like Lock, a rookie crapshoot that is more likely to end up like Lynch or Osweiler, or another Missouri QB, Gabbert, and who may take years to get up to speed, or a Veteran like Foles who has already been successful in the league, and is only 30 years old.

It looks like I've put myself out on a limb by making those suggestions, because many people seem think we need to toss the dice ........................ again, for another college QB, hoping that somehow this time it will be different. But isn't the Definition of "Insanity" something like "doing the same thing, over and over, hoping for different results?

Just my honest opinion from watching Broncos QBs from Steve Tensi to Case Keenum, for the last 51 years.
                              You’re wrong about a trade being the only way to dump Keenum.

They can cut him and save $11 million.

That makes it easier to draft his replacement.
                              Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                                Captain
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
                                Draft experts and talent evaluators. We are going to have a tough choice at #10 if Lock, Dewayne Haskins, Devin White, Cody Ford, and Jawaan Taylor, Jonah William, and Greedy Williams are all available.
                                We obviously need more than just a QB.
                                Tough choice? Easy choice. That draft card with Locks name would hit the podium quicker than quick. There is no position on the team in need of talented youth like QB.

Comment

Working...
                                X