Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

BPA in first, Brett Rypien in the 2nd

The more I look and read about Rypien the more I like. Four year starter that has the ability to play under center and throws with a lot of touch. He looks like a perfect fit for the Shanahan style offense that Scangarello will bring over. The Broncos already met with him at the Shrine game and appear interested.

Not sold on any QB in this class at #10. Would love to grab the best CB/ILB/Offensive Line player there instead if we can get Rypien in the 2nd.

Peace Love Happiness ✌🏾
    If Rypien is better than the quarterbacks projected ahead of him, he should be the one drafted at #10.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.

And if the Patriots decide to draft Rypien at 32 to prepare for life after Brady? Or a team trades ahead of you in round 2 to draft Rypien?

I understand what you're saying, but hoping that a player is there in a later round is how you end up trading up and way over drafting a prospect just in case. I'd rather the Broncos reach or trade up for one of the top 2 QBs than having to trade up in round 2 to try and get the 5th or 6th best QB. Or worse losing the 5th or 6th best QB and then either passing the QB situation down the road or over drafting the 7th or 8th best QB just so they get a QB.

At some point the team needs to commit to getting a highly rated and highly thought of QB rather than hoping that a lesser QB works out or signing more journeymen.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    If Rypien is better than the quarterbacks projected ahead of him, he should be the one drafted at #10.
    I agree with you but I see some of the bigger names going ahead of him. Feel like we can be in position to take a guy near the top of the second while getting another building block with the top 10 pick. Thinking when the Chargers took Tomlinson and Brees in the same draft and when the Bengals did the same with Green and Dalton. Not comparing Rypien to any of those players but giving a hypothetical because I'm tired of talking about Murray/Jones/Lock.

If they do identify him as the guy, I would absolutely advocate for them to trade back into the first round to get their guy and not hope he falls.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    I agree with you but I see some of the bigger names going ahead of him. Feel like we can be in position to take a guy near the top of the second while getting another building block with the top 10 pick. Thinking when the Chargers took Tomlinson and Brees in the same draft and when the Bengals did the same with Green and Dalton. Not comparing Rypien to any of those players but giving a hypothetical because I'm tired of talking about Murray/Jones/Lock.

If they do identify him as the guy, I would absolutely advocate for them to trade back into the first round to get their guy and not hope he falls.
    QB is the most important position in the game, solidifying other positions while not having a QB just leaves you continuing to have that massive hole. Brees didn't work out with the Chargers until his 4th year (Flutie was starting over him and they picked Eli...traded for Rivers at 1 because of how poor Brees was for them) and Dalton is hardly the answer in Cincy, there has been lots of talk about them moving on because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    QB is the most important position in the game, solidifying other positions while not having a QB just leaves you continuing to have that massive hole. Brees didn't work out with the Chargers until his 4th year (Flutie was starting over him and they picked Eli...traded for Rivers at 1 because of how poor Brees was for them) and Dalton is hardly the answer in Cincy, there has been lots of talk about them moving on because of that.
    I just think more value can be had with Rypien and BPA at #10. A QB that high in this draft feels like a reach. I just don't want us to end up with a Gabbert/Ponder/Locker because we need a young QB. I believe Rypien has just as much upside as any QB this year and he should be there in the 2nd. Continue to build your team with BPA at #10.

The more I look and read about Rypien the more I like. Four year starter that has the ability to play under center and throws with a lot of touch. He looks like a perfect fit for the Shanahan style offense that Scangarello will bring over. The Broncos already met with him at the Shrine game and appear interested.

Not sold on any QB in this class at #10. Would love to grab the best CB/ILB/Offensive Line player there instead if we can get Rypien in the 2nd.

I agree. I would rather have Rypien later over one of the other guys higher in the draft, especially if they have to trade up for him. Rypien might fall to the mid rounds, that would be good value. I would rather go ILB, CB, Oline at 10.

I just think more value can be had with Rypien and BPA at #10. A QB that high in this draft feels like a reach. I just don't want us to end up with a Gabbert/Ponder/Locker because we need a young QB. I believe Rypien has just as much upside as any QB this year and he should be there in the 2nd. Continue to build your team with BPA at #10.
    And if you don't go QB n round 1 and Rypien is gone by the time you pick in round 2? If he has the upside you believe, he's going to get picked earlier, so are you willing to risk ending up with a lesser QB in a lesser round just because you're scared of ending up with a bust?

What happens if the player you draft at 10 doesn't work out (happens all the time) and the QB you draft doesn't work out? Every pick has risks, teams can't be scared of picking a player because a player at that position busted 10 years before.

Ive watched about 40 of his games. He should be available in the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Ive watched about 40 of his games. He should be available in the 4th.
    Being that you've seen so many of his games, what do you like/dislike about him and what makes him a 4th round prospect?

Curious to get your perspective as I've only seen 3-4 of his games and would be good to get a more informed take on him.

I asked my best friend who is a life-long, die-hard, obsessive Boise State Football fan... who also happens to be a HS head FB coach, he gave me a very luke-warm endorsement of Rypien. He's average in about every way, but his worst attribute is that he absolute wilts in the big moment. He said he blew a majority of his last-minute, game winning drives. Big games, he disappears.

From watching highlights, I liked what I saw. Also, there were some very early mocks that had us picking him up late. So, I asked my friend who bleeds blue... says he's not worth a pick in the first 5 rounds. I thought that was very telling.

Do you want to continue to suck at QB, because thats how you continue to suck at QB.

Rypien is Siemian 2.0 at best!

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Do you want to continue to suck at QB, because thats how you continue to suck at QB.

Rypien is Siemian 2.0 at best!
    No. I just don't want us to waste a high pick on a QB, just because we need one. The projection to Siemian 2.0 has no truth behind it at all. He could be worse than Siemian in the NFL but he could also be much better. Making false comparisons at this stage is counterproductive.

Being that you've seen so many of his games, what do you like/dislike about him and what makes him a 4th round prospect?

Curious to get your perspective as I've only seen 3-4 of his games and would be good to get a more informed take on him.
    Hes a football nerd with average nfl talent, IMO.
    Hes got an average build, 62 210. Hes tough as nails. Hell stand in the pocket and throw a strike knowing hes going to get clobbered. His floor is probably similar to Siemian and his ceiling is probably Cousins.

He doesnt have an overly impressive arm, but its strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua2585 View Post
    I asked my best friend who is a life-long, die-hard, obsessive Boise State Football fan... who also happens to be a HS head FB coach, he gave me a very luke-warm endorsement of Rypien. He's average in about every way, but his worst attribute is that he absolute wilts in the big moment. He said he blew a majority of his last-minute, game winning drives. Big games, he disappears.

From watching highlights, I liked what I saw. Also, there were some very early mocks that had us picking him up late. So, I asked my friend who bleeds blue... says he's not worth a pick in the first 5 rounds. I thought that was very telling.
    My assessment is similar, but I dont agree about him wilting in big games. Hes beaten some good teams. Hes fearless. Hes just limited.