Page 27 of 217 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: Flacco

Joe Flacco is a clear upgrade over Case Keenum, and although I am disappointed this once again means Elway isn't committing to a re-build, and once again is slapping band-aids on the roster, I am more excited for this upcoming season than the last one. What I like about Flacco is he is willing to put the ball in harms way in order to move the ball down the field, he at least pulls the trigger. I hate the contract that comes along with Flacco obviously, and with the dead money we will hold over through Keenum, Elway isn't looking to great in terms of cap management and quarterback management.

All I will say is, if we go into the season with Flacco at quarterback, and once again the re-tread approach fails, I want Elway fired. I would have accepted another losing season if it meant developing a young quarterback, and committing to playing that guy from day 1, but I don't see that happening now. I will wait to make any sort of predictions on what 2019 will hold, but Elway better get this right, because if he doesn't, his job status should be called into question. You have to like it more than the Keenum signing a year ago.

Flaccoís an upgrade, but enough to eat Keenumís dead cap?

I donít think this changes the draft much at all. Getting a day 1 starter at QB with pick 10 has never been realistic. Weíll be lucky if the 3rd QB on the board is there at 10. Heck, we were looking at the 3rd QB at 5 last year. Yeah, this isnít a great year for QBs, but we see QBs go early every year anyway. I think this is recognition that whatever QB we draft, whether at 10 or later, will need time to develop. Sure, Iíd rather have Flacco than Keenum, but I hope it doesnít come at the cost of improving the rest of the team.

I'm not liking the move.

Joe Flacco:

* recent history of back & hip injuries at age 34

* forthcoming salaries of 18.5M (2019) & 20.3M (2020)

* pocket-sloth mobility

* 6.3 yards per attempt over the last 4 years

* last reached 7.0 YPA a half-decade ago

Flacco, the way I read this they got a MVP Quarterback for nothing. It will create a QB competition and if he has nothing left in the tank, they let him go. No Guarantee money !

Bottom line is not much invested and really no downside. The 4th round pick does not relate as a day 1 starter, but Flacco just may. Don't understand all the negative views, this may work out better than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    I'm not liking the move.

Joe Flacco:

* recent history of back & hip injuries at age 34

* forthcoming salaries of 18.5M (2019) & 20.3M (2020)

* pocket-sloth mobility

* 6.3 yards per attempt over the last 4 years

* last reached 7.0 YPA a half-decade ago
    You could have Posted the exact same thing about Peyton Manning's health, salary, and pocket presence when we signed him. Well, except that he had missed the entire previous season with a serious neck injury, and underwent multiple neck surgeries, including the fuzing of neck vertebrae. And, what was the result?

We went to two Superbowls with Manning, winning the Superbowl 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    You could have Posted the exact same thing about Peyton Manning's health when we signed him. Well, except that he had missed the entire previous season with a serious neck injury, and underwent multiple neck surgeries, including the fuzing of neck vertebrae. And, what was the result?

Peyton Manning was also established as arguably one of the top quarterbacks of all-time before his injury, and his game was built on the back of his ability to read and breakdown a defense. I understand the comparison from a physical perspective, but Joe Flacco has never even been mentioned as a borderline top 5 quarterback of a single season, let alone all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    You could have Posted the exact same thing about Peyton Manning's health, salary, and pocket presence when we signed him. Well, except that he had missed the entire previous season with a serious neck injury, and underwent multiple neck surgeries, including the fuzing of neck vertebrae. And, what was the result?

So, does that mean we're getting three Super Bowls from Flacco?

I guess the Broncos Italian mafia connection just got stronger.Again.😁

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    So, does that mean we're getting three Super Bowls from Flacco?
    You shouldn't set your sights too low

In fairness, though, Flacco is a significant upgrade over Keenum. He's been in the league 11 years and only has two losing seasons.

2008: 11-5
    2009: 9-7
    2010: 12-4
    2011: 12-4
    2012: 10-6
    2013: 8-8
    2014: 10-6
    2015: 3-7
    2016: 8-8
    2017: 9-7
    2018: 4-5

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...F/FlacJo00.htm

He also has a strong postseason record (10-5) with 7 road wins including in Denver and in New England.

The only question mark is his recent injury history, but as others have said, if the coaches are not convinced by what they see of Flacco, we can cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    I am baffled by how many actually think Flacco represents a significant upgrade over Keenum, if he's even an upgrade at all. Clearly they haven't watched the last 5 years of play, where he has obviously deteriorated. Posting a bottom 10 QB rating in the last 4 straight years. Not to mention being near the bottom in completion % and YPA too.

Then there's the ACL, hip, back, and shoulder injuries that have clearly hampered him. He has missed an average of 4 games a year for the last 4 years.

Flacco and Keenum are both comfortably bottom 10 QBs. I don't think it was worth the 4th round pick and the 28.5 million cap hit(Flacco's salary + Keenum dead cap hit).
    Agreed on all points.

Having watched a lot of Ravens games for years (largely because of my brother being a Ravens fan), nothing about Flacco's game (anno 2019) gets me excited or pumped for the season ahead. He has been godawful and frustrating to watch for years. Sometimes you got to take the blinders off and call it how it is.

Elway was universally praised for his decision to move Demaryius Thomas at a time where it made a lot of sense, not to mention that the compensation was very fair. Just as you start believing he's turned a corner, he completely nullifies that by making another boneheaded move.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    Flaccoís an upgrade, but enough to eat Keenumís dead cap?

I donít think this changes the draft much at all. Getting a day 1 starter at QB with pick 10 has never been realistic. Weíll be lucky if the 3rd QB on the board is there at 10. Heck, we were looking at the 3rd QB at 5 last year. Yeah, this isnít a great year for QBs, but we see QBs go early every year anyway. I think this is recognition that whatever QB we draft, whether at 10 or later, will need time to develop. Sure, Iíd rather have Flacco than Keenum, but I hope it doesnít come at the cost of improving the rest of the team.
    You do know Case is owed $21 mill this year if he played. We are going to be playing Flacco $18 mill with 0 guaranteed. If traded or released we would be eating Case base Salary of $7 according to Ian Rapaport. So we will being paying for $25 mill in QBs between the two. Or only $4 more million that what we would have given Case if he stay for the next season. The real question is Flacco that big of an upgrade to pay $4 mill more and a 4th rounder? Yes, he is.

If we release Keenum and he gets signed the league min of 5 million then hes only owed 2 million for the Broncos ? That would mean paying 2 extra million for Flacco. I wasnt crazy about this move at first but money wise seems like a sweet deal since hes a defenite upgrade over Keenum.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    Can somebody Photoshop what Joe Flacco will look like in a Bronco uniform

I figure he will look pretty good as our starting QB for a few years.
    He just turned 34. He probably has 3 or 4 good years left in the tank, to be our starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Yelp

Rn they sit at $37 mill. Could save $11 mill from Case, $5 mill from Marsh, Leary $7 mill( apparently they arenít happy with his contract and injury past), Stew $3 mill. Thatís an extra $26 mill + $37mill= $63 mill. Thatís not even including restructure Wolfe or extending CHJ which would lower his cap. Plenty of cap space.
    Leary can't go anywhere. He has injury guarantees. He ended the season injured and will not be healthy by the deadline per multiple local beat writers on twitter so we're stuck with his contract this year due to injury.