Page 43 of 210 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 143 ... LastLast

Thread: Flacco

So I really am surprised the reaction isn't as hostile as I thought it would be! I figured there would be as this "Oh look, Elway and his terrible QB decision making again!" But I think everyone realistically knows that when you have the lowest rated starting QB in the NFL out of the ones who started all 16 games, then you HAVE to do SOMETHING! This year will not be a banner year for QBs in the draft. Flacco won't be the long term solution, we all know this. He won't cost a game either. I don't believe he ever had the Receivers with Baltimore like he will this year. Will be interesting to see what he can do. Can't be worse, right?
    oh YEAH?

Quote Originally Posted by Axemaster View Post
    So I really am surprised the reaction isn't as hostile as I thought it would be! I figured there would be as this "Oh look, Elway and his terrible QB decision making again!" But I think everyone realistically knows that when you have the lowest rated starting QB in the NFL out of the ones who started all 16 games, then you HAVE to do SOMETHING! This year will not be a banner year for QBs in the draft. Flacco won't be the long term solution, we all know this. He won't cost a game either. I don't believe he ever had the Receivers with Baltimore like he will this year. Will be interesting to see what he can do. Can't be worse, right?
    There is some of that going on obviously, but like you said, there aren't a ton of options out there for QB's. I would have liked Foles, but who knows what turned Elway off on trading for him. For all we know the Eagles could be asking for a first for him and that's not realistic.

For you last sentence, sadly, it can always be worse, but hopefully it will not be lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    There is some of that going on obviously, but like you said, there aren't a ton of options out there for QB's. I would have liked Foles, but who knows what turned Elway off on trading for him. For all we know the Eagles could be asking for a first for him and that's not realistic.

For you last sentence, sadly, it can always be worse, but hopefully it will not be lol.
    I think it may have been the higher salary. I donít think the eagles are truly going to get away with this tag and trade. They donít have the cap luxury to do so. Iíve also heard it violates the new CBA.

I think eventually the eagles are going to have to give up this charade and let him be a free agent.

Then the question becomes was a team going to go balls to wall and offer him $25mil/year for 5+ years. Which i doubt Elway wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Sometimes I wish the draft wasn’t so far removed from when free agent decisions need to be made. It really makes it a challenge for GMs to plan the full roster.

Answer this for me.

Let’s say the top 9 picks go better than Elway could’ve imagined just like a year ago and some QB he loves but assumed wouldn’t be around is. And he selects that QB at 10.

Can we cut Flacco then and be free of 2019 money?
    Or is that money already owed.

You were talking about how they had to decide on case now. But couldn’t he still be the bridge in 2019 if Elway did in fact get his qb?

Obviously the response is why would we rather bridge with Keenum than Flacco. And we probably wouldn’t. I’m just thinking out loud of least possible cap hit if we only need a 1 year bridge in the event of a rookie.

It’s still unknown how much of case contract we will be able to get out of. But as of today the hit is higher than just what’s owed to Flacco.

Once Case contract is off the books I’ll feel a lot better about Flacco’s contract.

But I would like to have the ability to trade for AB and offer Mosely a solid deal. And then get a stud pick at 10.

But as of today those two QBs contracts probably prevent that.
    Cutting Flacco after the Draft isn't going to happen. It would be a disaster for this Franchise in Free Agency where Players wouldn't give us the time of day. Elway would never make a signing like this, and then cut the player.

As to signing AB or Moseley, I just don't understand where that comes from. Except that it comes up every year with the top FAs. Elway has a philosphy in Free Agency. Elway wants reasonably priced players, that can be had at a bargain price, in Free Agency who are young enough to have a future with this Franchise. Would we like AB and Moseley on this team? Sure we would. And maybe Elway will break from what he has done every year since he took over Player Personnel, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Cutting Flacco after the Draft isn't going to happen. It would be a disaster for this Franchise in Free Agency where Players wouldn't give us the time of day. Elway would never make a signing like this, and then cut the player.

As to signing AB or Moseley, I just don't understand where that comes from. Except that it comes up every year with the top FAs. Elway has a philosphy in Free Agency. Elway wants reasonably priced players, that can be had at a bargain price, in Free Agency who are young enough to have a future with this Franchise. Would we like AB and Moseley on this team? Sure we would. And maybe Elway will break from what he has done every year since he took over Player Personnel, but I doubt it.
    Umm Flacco was traded for not signed as a free agent. It should have 0 bearing on free agents. He isnít signing a player and then cutting him.

Besides he did exactly that to mark Sanchez 3 years ago.

I think eventually the eagles are going to have to give up this charade and let him be a free agent.
    For all we know, that could be what Elway is banking on. If that happens we can sign Foles immediately and cut Flacco and just lose a 4th round pick for it. That's no worse than trading a 3rd or 4th for Foles would have hurt. This is why I'm not going to be too hard on Elway for this move. It gives us a whole lot of options without leaving us completely screwed if the QB we want isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post

It absolutely could happen and no, it wouldn't be a black mark. Like DB pointed out, we did the same thing to Sanchez and no one batted an eye ball.

Flacco is an insurance policy. If something better comes along, don't be shocked if we cut ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    For all we know, that could be what Elway is banking on. If that happens we can sign Foles immediately and cut Flacco and just lose a 4th round pick for it. That's no worse than trading a 3rd or 4th for Foles would have hurt. This is why I'm not going to be too hard on Elway for this move. It gives us a whole lot of options without leaving us completely screwed if the QB we want isn't there.
    Elway will not go after a lesser quarterback, committing long-term to a large contract, and throw a 4th round pick in the bin essentially. Flacco will be the starter if this trade goes through, and if Foles hits the open market, watch the conversation in a years time steer to exactly what the conversation is in Minnesota right now with the always overrated Cousins, and what it is here with the one year wonder with Keenum. Foles is as much of a stop gap as Flacco and Keenum.

Umm Flacco was traded for not signed as a free agent. It should have 0 bearing on free agents. He isnít signing a player and then cutting him.

Besides he did exactly that to mark Sanchez 3 years ago.
    There is ZERO comparison between Joe Flacco and the likes of Mark Sanchez. And I never said we signed Flacco as a Free Agent. We haven't even Traded for him yet, as that can't happen until March. But it's clear that Flacco is our guy.

Let me put it this way. We aren't Trading for Josh Rosen, or Carson Wentz, or Baker Mayfield, or Goff, or any other QB whose teams have no intention of trading them. And Elway isn't going after Flacco as a hedge against not getting the college QB that he secretly wants in the Draft. I would be shocked if we take any QB in the 1st Round unless Haskins somehow miraculously falls to us. Flacco is our QB for 2019, and he isn't going to get beat out, like Sanchez was, by any rookie or any backup on this teams roster. All in my opinion.

So, ive had some time to chill and think about this move for Flacco. I'm not as ticked off as I was originally, I still don't like it but I am starting to see the philosophy behind it. Elway knows he made a mistake with Keenum and didn't want him taking the field no matter what. For just a couple million more I will take Flacco over Keenum any day

I still believe free agency will tell us what direction the 1st pick of the draft will be. If Denver signs a CB (or 2), ILB and a T in free agency I think QB will be the 1st pick. If they can't land any of the top free agents at those positions I think they go BPA. I will never complain about landing blue chip talent in any draft but I want that next franchise QB so bad. I can't stomach these old or inexperienced rentals anymore!!

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

SEA signed a guy to a pretty sizable deal
    And drafted Wilson in middle rounds...
    Then Wilson beat the vet out and that contract was a waste.

At worst, we are stuck with Flacco for 2019... and heís better than Keenum... by a large margin.

Keenum gonna go to dEN and beat Manning or to NE and beat brady in the post season? Not happening.

ďI was against the trade for Flacco before I was for it.Ē LOL

Seriously, in the other thread I said no thanks to Flacco. Itís not the worst trade all things considered. Flacco might have a chip on his shoulder for how things played out in Baltimore. A change of scenery, coaching and a desire to prove he can get back to the playoffs may be just what we need. This move gives Elway the chance to use the #10 pick on the best player available or trade down (I prefer BPA).

Elway could still draft a QB with the first pick, although that seems unlikely if the trade goes through for Flacco. Elway makes moves because he believes he can win - letís see how this works out. The process is just beginning and weíll have to see what happens in FA/Draft.

So I have read through most of this thread and have seen quite a bit about how Case's stats and Flacco's stats are nearly identical. Has anyone check to see when the stats happened. I know for Case quite frequently the stats didn't come until much later in the game when we weren't really in it. Was it the same for Flacco? Or were his stats decent when the game still mattered? I don't pay much attention to Baltimore so I do not know the answer but it could factor into a stronger leader at QB at least, one who isn't out of games early on. Just a thought I had and hadn't seen this as an aspect discussed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Axemaster View Post
    Great post, I think we all need to stay positive, this clears up the first few draft picks for players we really need. Who knows, Flacco could light the place up, usually happens to the players we trade away, they always look like pro bowlers for a year or two. CP to you.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!

I think after 48 hours that it's allowed cooler heads to prevail. Flacco is the best "short-term" option for the Broncos right now. Easily an upgrade over Keenum. The thing that stood out to me with this move was that Flacco doesn't have to come in and throw for 350 3 TDs per game. Flacco needs to convert 3rd down situations and be better in the red zone. Case Keenum was so off on a lot of those. Not to mention that Flacco's placement on deep throws will be a fun sight to watch with Sutton. Keenum overthrew Sutton so many times last season. DEN should still find their future QB and develop him for 1-2 years behind Flacco in my opinion. Everybody is searching for the next Mahomes without the realization that what happened with the Chiefs is a once in a blue moon.
    **2018 Adopt A Bronco: Chris Harris Jr*** Twitter: @CodyRoarkNFL