Page 86 of 136 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2029

Thread: Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Not by my recollection nor in a targeted search of material in December and January. All one finds are fan blog posts like MHR, Predominantly Orange, etc. This is why it was a surprise for most of us when the trade was announced last month because there was no prior indication that Elway was seriously contemplating getting Flacco.

Several have weighed into this bloated thread (somewhere) with their insights and specific examples of Flacco's tendencies and actions recalled from certain games --I think Melemele is one?

Six months from now will be NFL Week 3 and we may have a good indication about this choice as well as those of Scangarello at OC, Munchak as new OL coach, and how all of the new and old players mesh as a team in a whole new system. In nine months we should know for sure whether the Flacco signing was a good choice or not.

We just have to wait and see how it all shakes out to know anything for certain.
    Good post.

A lot of people knew that the Ravens weren't going to keep Flacco. I think that was kind of clear. I was feeling confidant that he wouldn't land here, because I saw that Washington was looking at him. Never saw that we were.

This bloated thread ( ) may get a clean up later. Kind of went off topic with fanhood and stuff.

I've mentioned it before, and I would like to remind everyone, that fans of other teams, new fans, old fans and anyone I missed, are allowed to voice their opinions. It would be nice if we were more welcoming.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Maybe not, but if they want an informed opinion they should.

It was far more than fan suggestions, but as I stated then even without in depth assessment it was obvious Flacco is a bad QB. Once the rumors made it to the radio speculation in January I began to look a little deeper.

Show me these Ravens fans with actual football reasons suporting him. I've seen nothing of the sort because there is no football based argument to be made for his play the last 4 years. He has not just been below average, he has been BAD, and no one has been able to say anything or make any solid argument refuting that. What most people fall back on, including Ravens fans, is "oh he's a good leader" and "he won a SB!" and the classic "well he has a strong arm" despite tape and statistics showing a very, very tangible decline in his arm to pedestrian status.

If you want to blame offensive play calling, that's hilarious. And sad. Because of all of the QBs that Mornhinweg has OC'd for, none have had as poor of an average depth of target as Flacco. Flacco has 3 of the top 15 highest % of passes thrown short of a first down since 2006, no other Mornhinweg QB makes the list even once. So it is Flacco making the decision to check down, not the offense. It is Flacco's own lack of ability holding him back.

Best case scenario, he is a solid vet mentor for a young, promising QB. He is not a good QB, and if we intend on starting him for a prolonged period, we are in trouble.
    How about his supporting cast? Where is Aiken, Marlon Brown, Wallace, Maclin, Perriman, Torrey, etc nowadays? These were his number 1 and 2 receivers throughout the years when Steve Smith would get hurt. Steve Smith was his best receiver since the Superbowl and he was in his mid-30's. If the Broncos give him solid weapons and protection...he will win games for the Broncos. Lets see how Crabtree and John Brown do after this year too. I bet they put up pedestrian numbers like the rest I have named. Stats aren't everything. They don't always show the entire story. I do understand the terrible numbers by Joe since 2014, but it isn't like he had help with the supporting cast either.

Quote Originally Posted by gDavid2 View Post
    How about his supporting cast? Where is Aiken, Marlon Brown, Wallace, Maclin, Perriman, Torrey, etc nowadays? These were his number 1 and 2 receivers throughout the years when Steve Smith would get hurt. Steve Smith was his best receiver since the Superbowl and he was in his mid-30's. If the Broncos give him solid weapons and protection...he will win games for the Broncos. Lets see how Crabtree and John Brown do after this year too. I bet they put up pedestrian numbers like the rest I have named. Stats aren't everything. They don't always show the entire story. I do understand the terrible numbers by Joe since 2014, but it isn't like he had help with the supporting cast either.
    Who's to say the situation is going to be any better here? Sanders is coming off a serious injury, while the rest of the receivers are still young and unproven, the TEs can't stay healthy, plus he'll have a rookie coach and play caller.

Yes, there's a lot of potential, and if the stars align this could work out. But, it's also likely this Flacco experiment is another diaster.

Quote Originally Posted by gDavid2 View Post
    Crabtree has board hands. Joe and John Brown had a good connection for a few games last year, but Brown was invisible when Lamar took over. SteveS was pretty decent for a couple of years but was old, worn out and inconsistent. People think itís just an excuse but on the whole the Ravens have had really, really poor receivers for 6 years.
    Last edited by JimmyT; 03-25-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Interesting interview of Fangio. Seems like Fangio is not closing the door to drafting a young QB to be a franchise face
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quarterback play from 2014-2019

Over the last 5 years, 33 QBs have thrown at least 1000 passes. I decided to take a look at how they stacked up against each other to see if anything stood out. I made a few observations:

1) Only four QBs have started all 80 games in this span: Matt Ryan, Matt Stafford, Phillip Rivers, and Russell Wilson. Impressive considering Wilson and Stafford have taken the two most sacks in this time as well.

2) Drew Brees has averaged an astonishing 70.5% completion percentage. When's the last time Denver had a passer average that mark for even one full season?

3) Blake Bortles had a really bad stretch, tossing the most interceptions and pick-sixes. He also posted the worst completion percentage so it's no wonder he also had the most losses.

4) Matt Stafford is clutch, leading the group in both 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives. Top 10 in TDs as well as completion percentage. Combined with his durability as mentioned above, he's an underrated QB for sure.

5) Our two most recent starting QBs, Keenum and Flacco, have had an earily similar 5 years... Keenum landed 30th in TD% compared to Flacco's 31st. Keenum sits at 19th in interception % and Flacco at 18th. Passer rating puts Keenum at 28th and Flacco at 29th. YPA has Keenum ranked 29th and Flacco at 32nd.

Even things like 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives were similar between the two, despite the discrepancy in games played. Keenum actually has had more game-winning drives than Flacco 10 vs 7. Flacco takes the edge in 4th quarter comebacks 7 to 6, however. All in all, I knew Flacco has had an unimpressive last 5 years, but I wasn't expecting he and Keenum to be virtually identical in every way as passers.

Did we really improve at starting QB? Is it wise to expect something better than Keenum's 18 TDs and 15 INTs of last year from Flacco? How soon do we see Drew Lock if Flacco continues to play at a Keenum level as he continues to age?

and this is why i don't trust flacco till i see him play. as the most recent history he has been a below average QB. and i am getting so sick of the playoff arguement. he has made it to the playoffs once in this time.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

It's a win, win! If Flacco plays well that's great! If he stinks, well then, we got Lock!
    (Either way its all good.)

Iím excited about Joe in Denver, but I was excited about Keenum too... yeeesh.

Iíve liked johns FA moves and drafts the last two years. I approve of this signing

Still not happy about Flacco:

Worst off target rates on balls thrown 20+ yards down field:
    Jameis Winston 58%
    Joe Flacco 55%
    Matt Stafford 54%
    Dak Prescott 47%
    Blake Bortles 45%
    Josh Allen 44%

Worst completion percentage on balls thrown 20+ yards down field last season (min 40 att):
    Sam Darnold 22.4%
    Joe Flacco 26.2%
    Josh Allen 26.6%
    Jameis Winston 27.9%
    Josh Rosen 28.6%

i seriously doubt he makes it a full season before he is benched.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

Football players can get better, worse or stay the same. The only way to find out which is to see them play. I'm looking forward to seeing the Broncos play football this year.

Im not much for stats, but I have watched Joe his whole NFL career. He is a winner. He will beat Kansas city in Kansas city. That's what he does.
    As Patriots head coach Bill Belichick once said, "Stats are for losers."

Quote Originally Posted by crabcruncher View Post
    Im not much for stats, but I have watched Joe his whole NFL career. He is a winner. He will beat Kansas city in Kansas city. That's what he does.
    Yet Bill B is one of the earliest adopters of analytics in drafting. Go figure.... He clearly does have a thing for stat based information.
    Going on record saying I love our off season coaching hires.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcruncher View Post
    What it comes down to is that Baltimore didn't want him, Denver did. Right now it's hard to tell for sure what the right decision was. Keep in mind the same mentality happened with Case Keenum, and now he's likely the backup QB to DC. My personal opinion though is that if a player is good, especially a QB, they'll do everything they can to keep him - very much so in the case of a QB costing only 20 million or less that shows promise. Baltimore letting him walk in favor of a rookie QB that is primarily run-first indicates either how committed they were to Lamar Jackson or how un-enthusiastic they were at Flacco - keep in mind he was very likely healthy enough to play the last few games as well as the wild card. We'll find out soon enough.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    What it comes down to is that Baltimore didn't want him, Denver did. Right now it's hard to tell for sure what the right decision was. Keep in mind the same mentality happened with Case Keenum, and now he's likely the backup QB to DC. My personal opinion though is that if a player is good, especially a QB, they'll do everything they can to keep him - very much so in the case of a QB costing only 20 million or less that shows promise. Baltimore letting him walk in favor of a rookie QB that is primarily run-first indicates either how committed they were to Lamar Jackson or how un-enthusiastic they were at Flacco - keep in mind he was very likely healthy enough to play the last few games as well as the wild card. We'll find out soon enough.
    I think its more that the ravens just didnt have an offense that suited Joe any longer. They had terrible receivers and a running game lead by a bunch of JAGS. When Jackson was put in, they were able to switch to a run heavy offense with Jackson leading the charge in the run game. As for actual QB talent, flacco is leaps and bounds better than Jackson..