Page 109 of 210 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 107 108 109 110 111 119 159 209 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 3146

Thread: Flacco

This is my Joe Flacco QB comparison list, it puts Joe Flacco in the top 11 in my book. Now many of you will feel differently but until I see something special from the Dak Prescott’s, Matthew Stafford’s and Desean Watson’s etc. this is my current ranking.

AFC EAST
    Joe Flacco > Josh Allen
    Joe Flacco < Sam Darnold
    Joe Flacco < Tom Brady
    Joe Flacco > Josh Rosen (for now)

AFC NORTH
    Joe Flacco > Lamar Jackson
    Joe Flacco > Andy Dalton
    Joe Flacco < Baker Mayfield
    Joe Flacco < Big Ben

AFC SOUTH
    Joe Flacco > Desean Watson (for now)
    Joe Flacco > Jacoby Brissett
    Joe Flacco > Marcus Mariotta
    Joe Flacco > Nick Folles (nicks gotta play
    good during regular season)

AFC WEST
    Joe Flacco < Pat Mahomes
    Joe Flacco < Philip Rivers
    Joe Flacco > Derek Carr (Carr’s gotta do more(

NFC SOUTH
    Joe Flacco < Drew Brees
    Joe Flacco > Jameis Winston
    Joe Flacco < Matt Ryan
    Joe Flacco > Cam Newton (Cams gotta pull his out of of the dirt)

NFC NORTH
    Joe Flacco > Mitch Tribuski
    Joe Flacco < Aaron Rodgers
    Joe Flacco > Kirk Cousins
    Joe Flacco > Matt Stafford (what has Stafford done)?

NFC WEST
    Joe Flacco > Kyler Murray
    Joe Flacco < Jared Goff
    Joe Flacco > Jimmy Grappalo
    Joe Flacco < Russell Wilson

NFC EAST
    Joe Flacco > Dak Prescott
    Joe Flacco > Eli Manning
    Joe Flacco < Carson Weintz
    Joe Flacco > Case Keenum

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    This is my Joe Flacco QB comparison list, it puts Joe Flacco in the top 11 in my book. Now many of you will feel differently but until I see something special from the Dak Prescott’s, Matthew Stafford’s and Desean Watson’s etc. this is my current ranking.

AFC EAST
    Joe Flacco > Josh Allen
    Joe Flacco < Sam Darnold
    Joe Flacco < Tom Brady

AFC NORTH
    Joe Flacco > Andy Dalton
    Joe Flacco < Big Ben

AFC SOUTH

AFC WEST
    Joe Flacco < Pat Mahomes

NFC SOUTH
    Joe Flacco < Drew Brees
    Joe Flacco < Matt Ryan

NFC NORTH

NFC WEST
    Joe Flacco < Jared Goff

NFC EAST
    Joe Flacco > Eli Manning
    Joe Flacco > Case Keenum
    I didn't know Joe Flacco's mom posted on these boards...
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Flacco but not even close to the level you're on. I hope you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Once again you’ve deflected by going back to 2011, which isn’t relevant to some of Flacco’s tendencies over the last few seasons. The examples were to illustrate a larger issue he’s struggled with in 2015, 2017 and to a lesser degree in 2016. He had some of the issues in 2018 in a shortened season. It’s possible he’ll overcome some of those tendencies. Those tendencies were observed by the media and fans. Hopefully a strong running game and solid protection will help.
    You obviously do not actually read the posts, or you don't understand context. It is ironic that you call out others for not answering your questions, you focus so extreme on what you wish to criticise Flacco for, but you cannot even answer whether you actually understand that the brilliance of a player like Elway was, had to do with the whole game and not just what he did on the couple of plays he screwed up.
    You latch onto one single factor and see that as the whole truth, with no deeper reflection.
    I'll give you the last word, because the dialogue is not worthwhile!

AFC EAST
    Joe Flacco > Josh Allen
    Joe Flacco < Sam Darnold
    Joe Flacco < Tom Brady

AFC NORTH
    Joe Flacco > Andy Dalton
    Joe Flacco < Big Ben

AFC SOUTH

AFC WEST
    Joe Flacco < Pat Mahomes

NFC SOUTH
    Joe Flacco < Drew Brees
    Joe Flacco < Matt Ryan

NFC NORTH

NFC WEST
    Joe Flacco < Jared Goff

NFC EAST
    Joe Flacco > Eli Manning
    Joe Flacco > Case Keenum
    Good post!
    Flacco is clearly in a field where you can win a SB with him but where he will move up and down on this list depending on situation. Five of the last six games are outdoors and could be cold, and in cold weather Flacco moves up that list.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    I didn't know Joe Flacco's mom posted on these boards...
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Flacco but not even close to the level you're on. I hope you're right
    LOL Flacco’s Mom huh! instead of just saying that you disagree elaborate a little bit more

Just because you're cherry picking and focusing on specific plays doesn't mean that's the player he has been his whole career. Something tells me that you dislike Flacco and sought out plays that prove your narrative.

I'm sure the Ravens fan can pick out specific plays where he excelled because he also has a bias. I tend to trust his take way more than stats or cherry picking plays as he has probably watched the majority of his games. Clearly he is biased though, as are you.
    It’s challenging to see the context of the discussion through these posts. While those plays may appear to be cherry picking, they are examples to illustrate a theme with Flacco’s play over the last few seasons. His tendency to not stand in the pocket just long enough to hit an open receiver, or check down too quickly, are well documented during 2015, 2017 and to a lesser degree in 2016. The issue also happened in 2018 despite having a relatively good season before the injury.

It’s not to say he won’t overcome the issue in 2019. It’s possible he has his best season since 2016. I believe he can get to 24 TDs with only 8-10 INTs as an optimistic goal. With what looks to be a Top 10 defense (maybe top 5), that’s all we’ll need from Joe. Anything above 24 TDs would be a bonus.

LOL Flacco’s Mom huh! instead of just saying that you disagree elaborate a little bit more
    I'm on your side. I'm one of the few on here that thinks Flacco can have a resurgence this year. I just don't think he is a top 11 QB at this point in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    You obviously do not actually read the posts, or you don't understand context. It is ironic that you call out others for not answering your questions, you focus so extreme on what you wish to criticise Flacco for, but you cannot even answer whether you actually understand that the brilliance of a player like Elway was, had to do with the whole game and not just what he did on the couple of plays he screwed up.
    You latch onto one single factor and see that as the whole truth, with no deeper reflection.
    I'll give you the last word, because the dialogue is not worthwhile!
    The discussion isn’t about Elway, Orton or for that matter Flacco’s season in 2011. If he played the last few years like 2011 we wouldn’t have many posts in this thread (nor would he have lost his job in Baltimore).

I’ve provided examples of the tendencies that contributed to Flacco’s poor play over recent seasons. If you aren’t familiar with those tendencies then you haven’t really watched much of his tape. That’s not to say he doesn’t make great plays as well. Those difficulties in the pocket are part of the reason he struggled with mediocre production.

It’s possible with Scangarello’s offense, a strong run game and solid protection he’ll return to how he played earlier in his career. I’m hoping it happens and time will tell.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-27-2019 at 08:45 AM.

I'm on your side. I'm one of the few on here that thinks Flacco can have a resurgence this year. I just don't think he is a top 11 QB at this point in his career.
    I’ve gotta put him in the top 11 because I don’t see other QBs like Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Matt Stafford or Kirk Cousins being better than he is YET, the potential is there but I’ve gotta be fair to considering his pocket awareness and ability to read a defense.

A perfect example would the 50 yard bomb to ES against the 49ers last week. I feel if Bolles doesn’t hold and Flacco feels the pressure coming, then he steps up In The pocket and completes the pass anyway. However it may had been a good thing Bolles holds on that play because we don’t need Flacco getting hurt especially on a roughing the passer call.

AFC EAST
    Joe Flacco > Josh Allen
    Joe Flacco < Sam Darnold
    Joe Flacco < Tom Brady

AFC NORTH
    Joe Flacco > Andy Dalton
    Joe Flacco < Big Ben

AFC SOUTH

AFC WEST
    Joe Flacco < Pat Mahomes

NFC SOUTH
    Joe Flacco < Drew Brees
    Joe Flacco < Matt Ryan

NFC NORTH

NFC WEST
    Joe Flacco < Jared Goff

NFC EAST
    Joe Flacco > Eli Manning
    Joe Flacco > Case Keenum
    I'd give an advantage to Cam, Watson, Prescott, and Stafford but that still puts him in the top half.

I’ve noticed Flacco fans won’t address specific plays such as the one posted from the Bengals game last season. All he needed to do was hit the open TE coming over the middle. The slightest pressure from the left side moved him out of the pocket. An easy first down turned into a sack.

The Vikings game in 2017 had several plays where he relied on check downs that cost the Ravens first downs. On one play he had enough time to see Breshad Perriman wide open over the middle. Instead, Flacco took his first read on a quick out to Buck Allen, who was tackled for a loss.

Some fans criticize stats however, we can see how Flacco’s plays such as the one described vs Vikings translate to poor production. In 2017 his average pass was 6.8 yards past the line of scrimmage, two yards in front of the first down marker. He ranked last among starters in both of those statistics. It was plays like the one where he checked down to Allen (for a loss) that drove those stats.

Before defending him again with comments about not having talent, those are plays when he had open receivers - forget about who they were. They were open and he had time to deliver. In both plays he would not have taken a hard hit.
    You do know that Breshad Perriman had a catch ratio of 25 percent don't you? That's why the Ravens got rid of him. Why would Joe throw to him, he was at best a decoy.
    Not being a fan, you didn't know his history. So I can understand your confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by crabcruncher View Post
    You do know that Breshad Perriman had a catch ratio of 25 percent don't you? That's why the Ravens got rid of him. Why would Joe throw to him, he was at best a decoy.
    Not being a fan, you didn't know his history. So I can understand your confusion.
    Wouldn’t you want a 25% chance at a 20 yard reception and first down, vs a 0% chance throwing to a receiver 2 yards behind the line and tackled for loss?
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 08-27-2019 at 11:52 AM.

The discussion isn’t about Elway, Orton or for that matter Flacco’s season in 2011. If he played the last few years like 2011 we wouldn’t have many posts in this thread (nor would he have lost his job in Baltimore).

I’ve provided examples of the tendencies that contributed to Flacco’s poor play over recent seasons. If you aren’t familiar with those tendencies then you haven’t really watched much of his tape. That’s not to say he doesn’t make great plays as well. Those difficulties in the pocket are part of the reason he struggled with mediocre production.

It’s possible with Scangarello’s offense, a strong run game and solid protection he’ll return to how he played earlier in his career. I’m hoping it happens and time will tell.
    and I would bet that for every play you show that you feel flacco was bad

someone could show you at least that flacco did everything right, but the play failed because of a penalty, a dropped ball, the wr running a wrong route, or a number of other reason

picking bad plays from games is just nit picky...you could go over tom brady games and show his bad plays also

Wouldn’t you want a 25% chance at a 20 yard reception and first down, vs a 0% chance throwing to a receiver 2 yards behind the line and tackled for loss?
    Throwing to a guy who keeps dropping passes makes that guy invisible to a qb. You don't win games playing bad odds over the long run. You take what the defense gives you. Sometimes the tackle for a loss turns into a fourth and 24 conversion, like in the Charger game when Ray Rice was his running back.
    Flacco gave Perriman two seasons to get the dropsies under control. There wasn't a third season.

As many of you know, ESPN has a neat feature in their Next Gen Stats called QB grids. Here you can see Quarterbacks' passing attempts displayed on a field, allowing you to see the air distance and result(complete, incomplete, TD, INT) of the passes.

Here is the link: https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/qb-grid

It has been my belief the last few years that much of our offensive woes come from lacking a QB that could challenge the secondary deep. When a defense isn't as concerned about a QB completing passes over the top, they can cheat forward; they can cover the short stuff better, react to the run sooner, and gang tackle better thus limiting YAC.

I decided to check out the Next Gen Stats to see if the stats backed up my hunch. Unfortunately, they don't compile all of the statistics very well. So, if you want any meaningful sample size, you have to punch some numbers yourself. Over the last few days, I did just that.

The statistics go back to 2016, but not every game of that year is included. I tallied the stats from every game the QBs below had listed on the site.

Here are the numbers for some familiar faces:

Keenum
    24 games -- 1.3 completions of 20+ yards and 3.9 attempts per game -- 29 yards per game on average coming from 20+ yard throws
    Overall, on 20+ hard throws he was 32/94 -- 34% completion for 6 td 11 int -- 704 yards -- 7.5 YPA -- 43.35 passer rating

Osweiler
    10 games -- 0.9/3.0 per game -- 24.9 yards per game -- 9/30 -- 3 TDs 4 INTs -- 30% -- 249 yards -- 8.3 YPA -- 55.42 passer rating

Siemien
    12 games -- 1.25/3.9 per game -- 32 yards per game -- 15/47 -- 5 TDs 5 int -- 32% -- 391 yards -- 8.3 YPA -- 59.22 passer rating

Dang. So Keenum was the worst we've had in a while at 20+ yard throws according to passer rating. Not surprising, but I still wanted more context. How bad was this group compared to other QBs in the league?

I checked out the numbers for several other QBs, some I thought would be bad and some I thought would be good. Here is how our prior QBs stacked up, sorted by passer rating from worst to best.

Keenum
    24 games -- 1.3 of 3.9 per game -- 29 yards per game -- totals of 32/94 -- 6 td 11 int -- 34% -- 704 yards -- 7.5 YPA -- 43.35 passer rating

Osweiler
    10 games -- 0.9/3.0 per game -- 24.9 yards per game -- 9/30 -- 3 TDs 4 INTs -- 30% -- 249 yards -- 8.3 YPA -- 55.42 passer rating

Siemien
    12 games -- 1.25/3.9 per game -- 32 yards per game -- 15/47 -- 5 TDs 5 int -- 32% -- 391 yards -- 8.3 YPA -- 59.22 passer rating

McCown
    12 games -- 1.25/3.6 -- 36.8 yards per game -- 15/45 -- 4 TDs 5 INT - 31% -- 442 yards -- 9.8 YPA -- 60.83 passer rating

Winston
    26 games -- 1.4/4.1 per game -- 38 yards a game
    37/107 -- 17 TDs 13 INTs -- 34% -- 1001 yards -- 9.3 YPA -- 69.88 passer rating

Bortles
    23 games -- 1.1/3.8 per game -- 31.6 YPG -- 27/87 -- 6 TDs 3 INT -- 31% -- 728 yards -- 8.3 YPA -- 71.43 passer rating

Eli Manning
    32 games -- 1.2/3.8 per game -- 36.7 YPG --
    41/123 -- 13 TDs 9 INT -- 33% -- 1175 yards -- 9.5 YPA -- 74.41 passer rating

Brady
    34 games -- 1.2/3.6 -- 32.8 YPG-- 42/124 -- 10 TDs 5 INTs -- 34 % -- 1116 yards -- 9.0 YPA -- 77.89 passer rating

Fitzpatrick
    10 games -- 1.7/5.6 per game -- 46.5 YPG
    17/56 -- 6 TDs 2 INT -- 30% -- 465 yards -- 8.3 YPA -- 82.81 passer rating

Carr
    26 games -- 1.4/3.6 per game -- 39.5 YPG
    37/94 -- 12 TD 8 INT -- 39% -- 1009 yards -- 10.7 YPA -- 83.73 passer rating

Mariota
    25 games -- 1.2/3.5 per game -- 34 yards a game -- 32/88 -- 10 TDs 5 INT -- 36% -- 865 yards -- 9.8 YPA 87.55 passer rating

Stafford
    32 games -- 1.4/3.6 per game -- 39 yards a game-- 46/115 -- 15 TD 6 INT -- 40% -- 1266 yards -- 11.0 YPA -- 99.13 passer rating

Dalton
    25 games -- 1/3 per game -- 29 yards a game
    26/76 -- 9 TDs 2 INT -- 34% -- 738 yards --
    9.7 YPA -- 99.56 passer rating

Big Ben
    29 games -- 1.9/5.1 per game -- 55 yards per game-- 55/150 -- 36% -- 1599 yards -- 10.6 YPA -- 99.97 passer rating

Cousins
    27 games -- 1.7/4.3 per game -- 47 yards a game
    46/117 -- 18 TD 4 INT -- 39% -- 1267 yards --
    10.9 YPA --105.31 passer rating

Russell Wilson
    29 games -- 2.4/4.9 per game -- 71 yards a game
    70/143 -- 18 TD 5 INT -- 49% -- 2082 yards -- 14.5 YPA -- 119.97 passer rating

Alrighty then. So we have had some of the worst deep throwing QBs in the league the last few years. That has been a major factor in our offense struggling. Maybe not the most significant factor, but still significant in it's own right.

To give myself some optimism, I looked up Flacco. One of his strong suits is the deep ball, right? I remember some time 10 years ago or so he led the league in deep passes. Hopefully he can help open things up for us. However, that was 24-26 year old Flacco. How has 31-34 year old Flacco been? Age tends hurt mobility and deep balls in QBs...

Flacco
    36 games -- 0.8 completions per game 3.1 attempts per game -- 24 yards per game
    30/114 total -- 10 td 11 int total -- 28% completion -- 868 total yards -- 7.6 YPA -- 48.46 passer rating

So, what do we think about that?

Maybe we want something else? Maybe deep passes aren't as important as something like 3rd down? Well let's look at that too...

On 3rd downs that saw him pass the ball, Flacco converted 40.7% of those into 1st downs. Last in the league. For the chiefs fan, Mahomes led the league with a 51.6% passing success rate on 3rd down.

In 2018, throws on third down saw Flacco average a pass 0.3 yards short of the first down. An improvement on Keenum's 1.5 yards short in the same year. Darnold, Allen, and Mayfield as rookies all averaged a 3rd down pass at or beyond the sticks. Surprisingly

In 2017, Flacco averaged 2.2 yards short of the marker, ranking 38th of 41 qualifying QBs. Denver's qualifying passers, Osweiler and Siemien, averaged passes 1.5 and 0.5 yards short. Rookie D. Watson led the league that year with an average 3rd down pass exceeding the line to gain by 1.8 yards. Glennon pulled up the rear 3.3 yards short on average.

In 2016, Flacco averaged a 3rd down pass 1.3 yards short of the marker, good for 36th of 39 QBs. Trevor Siemien averaged 0.3 yards beyond the sticks this year, the one time a QB has not been negative for Denver yet in this assessment. Rookie Jared Goff came in last averaging 2.1 yards short.

Here are a few stats and a handful of players to compare:

3rd downs by success rate when passing, 2018

-Mahomes 51.6
    -Luck 49.4
    -Ryan 48.6
    -Mariota 46.4
    -Fitzpatrick 45.1
    -Trubisky 44.9
    -Osweiler 42.6
    -Mullens 42.6
    -Manning 41.0
    -Flacco 40.7

Third down throws by distance short/beyond sticks, 2018

Jameis Winston +1.5
    Patrick Mahones +0.3
    Sam Darnold +0.1
    Baker Mayfield +0.1
    Mitch Trubisky +0.1
    Russell Wilson 0.0
    Deshaun Watson -0.2
    Aaron Rodgers -0.2
    Brock Osweiler -0.3
    Joe Flacco -0.3
    Lamar Jackson -0.4
    Josh Rosen -1.0
    Kirk Cousins -1.2
    Case Keenum -1.5
    Eli Manning -2.0
    CJ Beathard -2.3
    Nick Foles -2.5

Third down throws by distance short/beyond sticks, 2017

Deshaun Watson +1.8
    Carson Wentz +0.8
    Roethlisberger +0.4
    Tom Brady +0.2
    Matt Ryan -0.1
    Trevor Siemien -0.5
    Andy Dalton -0.8
    Blake Bortles -1.1
    Josh McCown -1.3
    Case Keenum -1.4
    Brock Osweiler -1.5
    Joe Flacco -2.2
    Mike Glennon -3.3

Third down throws by distance short/beyond sticks, 2016

Cam Newton +1.7
    Carson Palmer +0.9
    Aaron Rodger +0.8
    Kirk Cousins +0.7
    Ben Roethlisberger +0.7
    Blaine Gabbert +0.3
    Trevor Siemien +0.3
    Blake Bortles +0.1
    Russell Wilson 0.0
    Andy Dalton -0.3
    Brian Hoyer -0.8
    Ryan Tannehill -0.9
    Joe Flacco -1.3
    Sam Bradford -2.0
    Jared Goff -2.1

Yeah. Flacco is not good. He is not a top 11 QB in this league, not even close. By all methods of assessment and analysis he is assuredly bottom 11. Honestly, bottom 5.

A lot of facts were presented in this post, but none more true than this:

Joe Flacco is a well below average Quarterback

Do we have a team capable of carrying him? We will see.