Page 25 of 219 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Thread: Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    His contract really needs to not be harsh on the cap hit. It sounds like we can say goodbye to signing all those free agents with both Keenum and Flacco on contract now.
    That's the one area I have a ton of faith in Elway is free agent signing, accompanied with the defenders wanting to play for Fangio. I still expect some really good free agent signs. Keenum is as good as gone and his hit gets cheaper if he signs with another team

Andy Jano 2017 adopted Bronco

I'm fairly lukewarm about this move. I do believe Flacco is superior to Keenum, but then again who isn't? At least Flacco can throw deep. However, he is less mobile than Keenum, which is a huge worry with our O-line. Hopefully Munchak and some new pieces can help. Flacco will inherit a strong run game, but the passing attack could use some juice. I'm hoping Elway drafts a TE early or a speedster WR, especially if Sanders is cut.

Regarding the draft, I don't know that Flacco's presence necessarily means we won't draft a QB high, although I doubt very much we'd move up significantly to get one. With Murray entering the draft, I think there's a decent chance Lock will be available at #10.

The best case scenario is Flacco gives us enough to at least compete for a playoff spot. Worst case scenario is we blow a 4th round pick and cap space on another marginal QB.

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    That's the one area I have a ton of faith in Elway is free agent signing, accompanied with the defenders wanting to play for Fangio. I still expect some really good free agent signs. Keenum is as good as gone and his hit gets cheaper if he signs with another team
    Even with Keenum gone, that's 7 or 10 million cap hit added to the cost of paying Flacco. We went from 36.7 million to 18 million. With that we are getting at most 3 quality players. That's not even including paying Paradis, Wolfe, Barrett, Turner, Veldheer, Patrick, etc.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

I'm sure Elway has probably crunched the numbers with this trade and is also looking at free agency. He graduated from Stanford with an economics degree. I'm not a gambling man, but if I were, I would bet we have a winning record this year. I wouldn't make that bet if Case were still the QB.

what math is there to crunch? We don't have enough to upgrade significantly anymore unless we see a lot of vets leave.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

what math is there to crunch? We don't have enough to upgrade significantly anymore unless we see a lot of vets leave.
    Wolfe could restructure. Plus, Marshall and Stewart could get us $10 million. Keenum is another $10 million.

Cut Keenum, Sanders and Leary and cap space jumps to $65 mil. Sign Flacco and cap space is $46.5 mil. Iím not advocating to cut Sanders if heíll be ready to play - just a quick example of how quickly Elway can make room.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Wolfe could restructure. Plus, Marshall and Stewart could get us $10 million. Keenum is another $10 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Cut Keenum, Sanders and Leary and cap space jumps to $65 mil. Sign Flacco and cap space is $46.5 mil. Iím not advocating to cut Sanders if heíll be ready to play - just a quick example of how quickly Elway can make room.
    Exactly. Just these moves put the cap space back up to $56.5 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Yelp

Rn they sit at $37 mill. Could save $11 mill from Case, $5 mill from Marsh, Leary $7 mill( apparently they arenít happy with his contract and injury past), Stew $3 mill. Thatís an extra $26 mill + $37mill= $63 mill. Thatís not even including restructure Wolfe or extending CHJ which would lower his cap. Plenty of cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Yelp

Rn they sit at $37 mill. Could save $11 mill from Case, $5 mill from Marsh, Leary $7 mill( apparently they aren’t happy with his contract and injury past), Stew $3 mill. That’s an extra $26 mill + $37mill= $63 mill. That’s not even including restructure Wolfe or extending CHJ which would lower his cap. Plenty of cap space.
    Regarding Leary's contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Yelp

Rn they sit at $37 mill. Could save $11 mill from Case, $5 mill from Marsh, Leary $7 mill( apparently they aren’t happy with his contract and injury past), Stew $3 mill. That’s an extra $26 mill + $37mill= $63 mill. That’s not even including restructure Wolfe or extending CHJ which would lower his cap. Plenty of cap space.
    That adds up to 42 million after Flacco's contract. And yes, they can do all these things, but there has to be players that are equal or better in talent to have made those cuts worth it. Right now you're talking about 4 or 5 vets that are going to be gone, which is going to be a lot of pressure on those next in line to be starters. It'd almost be better to have just cut Keenum and gone completely rookie at the QB position, and really take advantage of the cap space to find the best players on the market with the cap space. If the plan was to draft a QB this year, and only have a bridge, why not Keenum bridge and save cap space that way? If the plan was to bridge to 2020 for a QB, then Flacco only hurts because of the likelihood of consistently picking in the 20's.

Seriously, was there anyone saying that Flacco was going to be the right move for us before today? I don't care that he has no cap hit, he doesn't represent a winning formula for this team that cannot find a QB.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

My initial reaction was WHY! But the more I think about what has already happened with the signing of Fangio the more I like it. If Fangio is able to get the defense back to top 3 we can win a Super Bowl with Flacco. We won with Manning barely able to even take a snap I think Flacco on a physical stand point is better than what Manning was in his final year. Nobody can compare to Manning's smarts though so we will see. Definitely an upgrade over I already wrote a book Case Keenum.
    https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/s4pltBb35iBlrpYyfA6PTSXU4bI=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2924184/cj.0.gif

Quote Originally Posted by nickmeyer View Post
    My initial reaction was WHY! But the more I think about what has already happened with the signing of Fangio the more I like it. If Fangio is able to get the defense back to top 3 we can win a Super Bowl with Flacco. We won with Manning barely able to even take a snap I think Flacco on a physical stand point is better than what Manning was in his final year. Nobody can compare to Manning's smarts though so we will see. Definitely an upgrade over I already wrote a book Case Keenum.
    The SB win was predicated off of an un-reproducible year of lucky fumbles and balls rolling our way. Case in point, even with better QB play in 2016 we only went 9-7. Since then it's only gotten worse record-wise. It's not a formula for long-term success, as we see today.

Signing Flacco is not a move that makes sense. We don't have a top 10 defense or offense, and we won't by the 2019 season. Do we really want to see Flacco here for longer than that? He is not a player that can carry a team on his back. Why else would the Ravens have gotten rid of him so quickly? In the playoff game against the Chargers, they had multiple chances to put in Flacco, but they didn't. In fact, they pretty much benched him in the second half of the season for a QB that comes off as a gimmick.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 02-13-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

I like this move. Flacco can actually throw past the stick and actually hit the wide open receivers

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Can't cut leary, his contract stipulates that if he can't pass a physical by March 17th, 75% of his 2019 salary becomes fully guaranteed. So I should rephrase, we can cut him but the cap relief will not really be there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikeklis/...321823232?s=21