Page 26 of 198 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Thread: Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Yelp

Rn they sit at $37 mill. Could save $11 mill from Case, $5 mill from Marsh, Leary $7 mill( apparently they arenít happy with his contract and injury past), Stew $3 mill. Thatís an extra $26 mill + $37mill= $63 mill. Thatís not even including restructure Wolfe or extending CHJ which would lower his cap. Plenty of cap space.
    That's not accounting for Flacco, and leary is no longer a cut option. Don't forget to factor in 10 million for the rookie draft picks too.

Either way, cut all those guys and you still have to replace them on top of other starters/key depth that are free agents(ERFA, and RFAs too) this year like our pro bowl long snapper Casey Kreiter, Veldheer, tremaine Brock, shaq Barrett, shane Ray, Kerr, Peko, Shelby Harris, paradis, Turner, bradley roby, heuerman, garcia, Wilkinson, LaCosse, and Tim Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillez View Post
    The 2020 QB draft class looks much better than this years does by far. Iím not a fan of this years QB class tbh. Denver needs young franchise QB no doubt about it however Iím not comfortable drafting another bust like Lynch and osweiler were. Elway drafts well outside of QB that much is known. I feel we can get elite cornerstone player of the franchise at pick #10. Iíd hate to waste it on another QB that flops early in the draft.
    After processing this debacle that happened today Elway in my eyes have to play for a QB in 2020. The talent at Qb in that draft is much higher than it is in this draft. So let flacco play this year but you go all out for a QB of your choice in 2020. Use this draft and FA to fill the other needs of the team. Maybe then Elway can have some sun shine on him cause right now it's cold and rainy where he been going with all these oddball moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Can't cut leary, his contract stipulates that if he can't pass a physical by March 17th, 75% of his 2019 salary becomes fully guaranteed. So I should rephrase, we can cut him but the cap relief will not really be there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikeklis/...321823232?s=21
    The cap space would still be at $41 mil by cutting him. Again, itís not about any one player rather the examples are to show how quickly you can create space. Leary is an exception however still consider cutting him because he takes a roster spot and has trouble staying healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Even with Keenum gone, that's 7 or 10 million cap hit added to the cost of paying Flacco. We went from 36.7 million to 18 million. With that we are getting at most 3 quality players. That's not even including paying Paradis, Wolfe, Barrett, Turner, Veldheer, Patrick, etc.
    And if Keenum is cut then it's 29 million. Sanders is another $10 million. Wolfe, Marshall and Stewart are somewhere around another $15 million.

Lets say they keep Wolfe, but part with Keenum (done deal), Stewart, Sanders, Marshall and Leary (another likely cap casualty. That's about $37 million in cap savings between those players. So now Denver is at $55 million in cap space. Rework Miller's contract, extend Harris (which would likely lower his cap hit this year) and convert $6 million of Flacco's contract to signing bonus and that's probably another $7-10 million.

The thought that Denver won't have cap space, even after this, is an absolute myth.

Quote Originally Posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
    There's a reason almost the entire Ravens stadium was chanting for Flacco in week 17 when they needed to score to have a chance.

Nobody ever has chanted for Keenum
    Yeah they did you didn't hear them boos? I did have a lot of zzzzs watching thst offence last year lol. Sorry Keenum was awful but still don't like the move right now. Don't think I will until the games start. Plus need to see how they approach the draft now.

Inspire of his ďbad yearĒ he had a qb rating of 84.7 with twice as many touchdowns as INTís. That doesnít scream franchise quarterback but itís better than anything weíve seen in Denver the last 4 years.
    Heíll at least be better than Keenum was last year. I just donít see us having $40 million tied up between those two. Donít be surprised if Elway cuts Keenum or trades him for two chickens and a bag of rice.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Can't cut leary, his contract stipulates that if he can't pass a physical by March 17th, 75% of his 2019 salary becomes fully guaranteed. So I should rephrase, we can cut him but the cap relief will not really be there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikeklis/...321823232?s=21
    Still easy for Denver to get up passed $50 million in cap space without releasing him. But too many teams have too much cap space for Denver to win bidding wars for the big name free agents (CJ Mosely) so we'll see mid and lower tier free agents. People will complain (they always do) and then won't mention it when the player they really wanted doesn't come close to living up to the contract they signed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    And if Keenum is cut then it's 29 million. Sanders is another $10 million. Wolfe, Marshall and Stewart are somewhere around another $15 million.

Lets say they keep Wolfe, but part with Keenum (done deal), Stewart, Sanders, Marshall and Leary (another likely cap casualty. That's about $37 million in cap savings between those players. So now Denver is at $55 million in cap space. Rework Miller's contract, extend Harris (which would likely lower his cap hit this year) and convert $6 million of Flacco's contract to signing bonus and that's probably another $7-10 million.

The thought that Denver won't have cap space, even after this, is an absolute myth.
    Alright. Let's see if any of this happens. I don't think it's a myth because every off-season we say "we can cut these guys!" Only to not see it happen and only two or three key free agents are signed. Last season we were in a similar position, and our big splash was Keenum. I'll belive these moves when I see them.
    Last edited by TheAsianPA; 02-13-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    Yeah they did you didn't hear them boos? I did have a lot of zzzzs watching thst offence last year lol. Sorry Keenum was awful but still don't like the move right now. Don't think I will until the games start. Plus need to see how they approach the draft now.
    I'm not a Joe Flacco fan, and this certainly wasn't I move I wanted. But at worst I'm neutral to it. They gave up a 4th round pick for a guy who's been a long time starter in the league and has shown he can make plays with his arm. And he's better than Keenum and Siemian and Lynch and Osweiler. Not a long term answer by any means, and I hope they still try to get a young QB with massive upside. But I don't understand the amount of hate for this move.

Every year some fans freak out on the cap here and every year the F.O. makes some cuts or restructures to free up space for signings, and it all works out.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

I watched the Baltimore-Denver game, and the Baltimore-New Orleans game. And it's pretty clear that Flacco is healthy. So, that's not an issue.

Flacco is healthy, he's a better QB than Keenum, and that's been proven with his success in the Playoffs. Can he withstand a season without getting hurt? Can any NFL QB make it through a season without injury? Three years ago the Broncos won the Superbowl with Manning coming off the bench following recovery from his foot injury. Stuff happens in the NFL. You have to HOPE for the best, and plan for the worst.

Although I would have preferred a 30 year old Foles, picking up Flacco was a smart move by Elway. And I suspect there will be a few red-faced "sad sack", "glass is half empty" fans when all is said and done. As to FA, Elway had a plan the day he was hired, and other than signing Manning, he has stuck with that plan of getting great deals on players who are at an age where they have a future with the Broncos. Elway is fairly consistent, so I fully expect to see NO big, sexy, high money signings in FA this year.

Looking forward to the Combine and the Draft, especially now that we don't have to "reach" into the low-talent QB pool.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Alright. Let's see if any if this happens.

A lot of the guys mentioned have been dead men walking for quite some time. Sanders probably goes because they won't know how long until he's healthy and they have a window to do it (unless they rework it). Marshall knows he's going to be cut which is why he's been lobbying to stay in Denver at a reduced rate. Stewart is 100% gone. Leary probably stays because of the injury guarantee. And Keenum will be gone from Denver by the end of next week. Either they trade him or he's released, but these are 100% going to happen.

The wildcard is Wolfe, he was pretty productive this year, but has a massive injury history and is very outspoken in criticism. It was probably warranted, but not always the best to keep guys like that around.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Every year some fans freak out on the cap here and every year the F.O. makes some cuts or restructures to free up space for signings, and it all works out.

Yep, and then every year fans will do mock offseasons where every big name player signs in Denver for below market rates and then they freak out when those players sign elsewhere for WAY more than they estimated. "Why is Elway so cheap?" "This offseason is a complete bust."

And then those same fans say nothing when they players they were upset not to get end up not being great signings for the team that did give them big paydays.

Yep, and then every year fans will do mock offseasons where every big name player signs in Denver for below market rates and then they freak out when those players sign elsewhere for WAY more than they estimated. "Why is Elway so cheap?" "This offseason is a complete bust."

And then those same fans say nothing when they players they were upset not to get end up not being great signings for the team that did give them big paydays.
    And I thought that I was the only one to notice that. Elway has been clear from Day 1 about his philosophy concerning Free Agency. And you can repeat it a thousand times, and people are still mad because he didn't sign every big-name Free Agent.

It's really kind of amusing to watch.

Bottom line.....Flacco is a huge upgrade over Keenum, Siemian, Osweiler, Orton, or Tebow.

Keep Hogan as backup and draft a QB in the first round that can start in a few years.....Preferably, Drew Lock.